Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Hey Stank,

So, is your bike still bone stock engine-wise with 15,000 miles? No stage kits or remapping the ECM or anything? That's the kind of info I need. I'm thinking about getting an '08 ultra but if I do get one, I'm not spending another cent to add stuff to it.

It would be great to know that yoursis runninggreat in bone-stock configuration since that's the way intend to keep mine if I get it.

Many thanks & ride safe,

John

Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Stank Slinger
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey J, Yeah my bike is stone stock except for i added a pillow look seat rider essentials kit with the back travel bag and backrest and the reachback handle bars with Kurkuryn iso hand grips and cruise boards. The factory downloadrecall thing or whatever that was at my 1000 mile service even though there wasn't anything wrong with it I could tell,and it's been perfect ever since ! It might not be a drag racing street machine but it has plenty of power and handling I'm in total love with it ! I made 3 trips with it which is why I added the seat and such after the first trip, ( you'd think MoCo would put at least decent stuff on their 18000 rollin piece of jewelry for comfort ) but I heard about stage 1 and all that but the bike don't need it in my opinon except for maybe the pipes, I like mine quiet but its almost too quiet, I wouldn't change a thing to the engine or trans but the heat does get a little intense when you're sittin still. I hear its worse on the full dressers but when I'm movin I can't even tell the engines hot. I'm gonna add some cosmedic stuff to it ( turnin my classic into a classic ) but I don't think the drivetrain needs any mods except plenty of miles ta break it in proper,amen, Your friendly neighborhood stank slinger Charlie

Old 12-12-2007, 04:06 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Hey Stank,

Welcome to the H-D family! Now you know what all the fuss is about - either ya get it or ya don't. The Jap bikes are great, there's no denying that, but they ain't a Harley!

Thank you very much for the encouraging info! From what I've been hearing and reading, it sounded like it was totally manditory to do the ECM remap or to get an additional computer module like the PCIII to richen up the mixture on the 96 inchers, otherwise the engine would never run right and would eventually melt itself. I will not be spending an additional cent on stuff like that. It's either gonna run great right out of the box, or they can keep it.

Thanks again,

John

Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

BUMP............damm thread fell off the main page

Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Had a great run though! Saved me (and probably a bunch of other folks) from makingthe huge mistake of buying an '07 Ultra clatter-wagon.

Happy Holidays and Peace Out Y'all!!

John

Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jpooch00

Had a great run though! Saved me (and probably a bunch of other folks) from makingthe huge mistake of buying an '07 Ultra clatter-wagon.

Happy Holidays and Peace Out Y'all!!

John
John:

I bought an '07 Ultra, and after installing the IDS along with the proper fluids it has become the finest H-D Touring rig I've ever owned. Yes I've added the Stage 1 and SERT, but IMO the majority of '08 Ultra owners will be doing at least the Stage 1 and factory download. Riders that keep an Ultra completely stock are the exception rather than the rule.

Remember, same EPA regulations apply to the '08 Ultras as did the '07s and before. And it's getting worse. Once the '08 Ultra/bagger owners get a taste of full Summer heat in some stop and go traffic, the heat eminating from that rear cylinder will become an issue!

Best Regards,

A completely satisfied '07 Ultra owner. [sm=exactly.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
pushrod243
Novice

I have a customer with an 08 Ultra that has this noise in it it has 3500 miles on it. It sounds like marbles when you release the clutch when the bike is hot and also does it on some gear changes. The dealer replaced the compensator but it has not changed the noise. Thier second attempt was only in the primary they found nothing and put it back together. I feel bad for him as he was riding a jap bike for years and finally took the plunge for a HD and it scary noisy. We are an independent shop and have done his service work in the past. I pointed him here to find out more info since his dealer is trying to fix it but say they have never heard of this issue.... After reading this 64 page thread its obviuos they know there is an issue with these things. I read some suggested IDS helps this but his 08 has IDs correct? I wouldnt ride it if it were mine it sounds terrible.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Hey WVULTRA,

Yeah, I'm one of those exceptions. I just simply will not consider going into debt for well over $20,000 (or for $.01 for that matter) for ANYTHING that isn't totally satisfactory as it comes from the factory. I've owned several H-D's and have kept them completely stock and have always been able to get my money back out of them when it came time to sell.

I was considering getting an '08 Ultra, but after reading some of the latest posts here and on other forums, I think I'll be stickin' with my sweet little bone-stock '82 FXE. It just runs great every day and all I have to do to it to keep it going is change the oil regularly. If anything does go wrong with it, I can fix it myself instead of paying some H-D hack $100/hr to say that his computer can't tell him what's wrong with it! I've already been offered nearly twice what I paid for it (got a REALLY good deal on Ebay) so I think it's a keeper!

I did own an '03 Road King (carb) for 6 months and it was nothing but trouble from day one. Kept it stock and recovered what I had in it when I sold it. That was after I was lied to by the Dealer's Service department ( I made them admit it later) and figured out that it needed a new crankshaft position sensor and replaced it myself - at my own expense.

Best wishes and happy new year to you,

John

Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM
purplebird72
Stage I

Hi, guys. New to this site, but I've read it since the start of this thread.I bought a new 07 softail deluxe complete with clattering trans(4-5-6 gear) and knocking 96 cube. I too went through all the crap that the dealers and H-D dished out.("we havent had any complaints except yours", "you're lugging the engine", all the way to "just don't use 6th gear") All crap. I solved all of my problems with this poor excuse of a motorcycle by getting rid of it. Harley-davidson has turned into a bunch of college educated arrogant idiots, with a dash of greed in the equation. They didn't learn anything from the AMF years....morons. I lost about 4500 dollars on the deal. I am angry by the way Harley-dumbson has treated me after loyaly giving them 20 thousand dollars.The dealers are just as guilty...a bunch of lying sneaky cowards.Shame on them all. I have bought two NEW harleys, obviously two new harleys is one too many.No more new ones for me.JUNK-JUNK-JUNK....Sounds kinda like a new 6-speed doesn't it?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:12 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Amen, Bro. Well stated!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!