Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:58 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: panheadache

Dude, When you hear a siren do you feel the desire to stand up and march like a zombie towards Milwaukie to be fed to the Morlocks? That tranny is defective! If you had noise in your car like that and the the manufacturer acted like HD has in this matter, you would be fire-bombing the dealership as we speak.
I don't know what the hell you're talking about. My "tranny" (actually, it's not the transmission) makes a bit more noise than most all the other "Cruise Drive" bikes I've been around and it is most certainly and definitely not defective. You must either have had a hum-dinger or you're one picky SOB to have spent that kind of money just to quiet 5th gear a little.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:31 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where were you guys a yr ago????Many sat around waiting for a fix/recall etc instead of banning together and grabbing the bull by the horns.If the NHTSA got as many complaints as this site has gotten,HD wouldve paid for this.Hd knew of this complaint but had no way dealing with it w/o more time,testing.Now they are making you pay for it,offering fall discounts only because this topic just wont die and the dealers can make an easy buck off of you.Its over,pay it or live with the noise.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bellamacchina

The MoCo changed some of the internals of the 08 trans. The entire input shaft was redesigned and features an 08 part number and the lock rings were modified. Combine these mods with the IDS and you have a quiet drivetrain. My 2008 was dead quiet for the fist 100 miles, too cold now.....
The cause of the rattleis definitely harmonics building up between the compensator, the primary chain and the internals of the transmission. The IDS basically interrupts the formation of harmonics by adding damping capabilities. Without the analytic capabilities of the MoCo or an advanced automotive engineering team you can discuss the probable root causes until the cows come home.
[sigh] Nope, not so. I put in the Baker F6F and it all went away. HD's Pakistani job-shopper engineer, Sahib, just screwed up 5th gear. It was all too loose and sloppy and rattling around in there. Plus the dog slots in the HD 5th gear pair are just HUGE, allowing rattling around as they go along for the ride in that stupid cheap crappy transmission design. Sahib just copied the tranny off his Chinese rickshaw's Belarussian gearbox and fouled it up. It's not the comp, chain, tensioner, lugging, or people not knowing how to ride. And it dang sure will not "go away as you put more miles on it" as the sorry good-for-nothing lying cheating low-life scumbags on the HD complaint line and their scheming insidious Judas blackheart dealers claim.
Hmmmmmmmmm .... some people think the noise ispiston slap originating from the frontcylinder .........(gasp; pardon me while I get my breath).I haven't heard the dog-theory mentioned before but you havethe advantage of having seen the inside ofthe stock transmission. So you're saying that the reflected power pulse (from rear wheel) results in the5th gear dogsvibrating in their slots which results in the clatter? the result of this(due to poor torque delivery to rear wheel) might be poor acceleration in 5th ......... I've noticed this, i.e, as the rpm increases, thebike seems to struggle re: acceleration.Imagine how inefficient torque delivery is on hills or two up? Yeah, a very poor design.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 827 Likes on 393 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm .... some people think the noise ispiston slap originating from the frontcylinder .........(gasp; pardon me while I get my breath).I haven't heard the dog-theory mentioned before but you havethe advantage of having seen the inside ofthe stock transmission. So you're saying that the reflected power pulse (from rear wheel) results in the5th gear dogsvibrating in their slots which results in the clatter? the result of this(due to poor torque delivery to rear wheel) might be poor acceleration in 5th ......... I've noticed this, i.e, as the rpm increases, thebike seems to struggle re: acceleration.Imagine how inefficient torque delivery is on hills or two up? Yeah, a very poor design.
Uhhhh, ...reflected power pulses?..could be. By the way, I didn't mean to imply that the dog slots were the only source of racket - the main source of "rocks in a can" in my opinion is just sloppy, poorly designed, excessive mating teeth mesh in the straight cut 5th pair in combination with the sloppy loose bore of the gears flopping around on the shaft. Just a total breakdown in mechanical design and execution - HD should hang their rotten corporate heads in shame for abandoning everyone in this!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhhhh, ...reflected power pulses?..could be. By the way, I didn't mean to imply that the dog slots were the only source of racket - the main source of "rocks in a can" in my opinion is just sloppy, poorly designed, excessive mating teeth mesh in the straight cut 5th pair in combination with the sloppy loose bore of the gears flopping around on the shaft. Just a total breakdown in mechanical design and execution - HD should hang their rotten corporate heads in shame for abandoning everyone in this!
re: ".........reflected power pulses"

I'm just trying to understand how the cush drive provides the fix. Someone earlier reported that the transmission part numbers for the 2008's are different (than the 07's). Maybe the MoCo tightened things up internally, eh? I'd be curious to see if the 2008's clatter with their cush drives removed. If they don't (clatter), then what was the point of fitting an IDS? Would the reason be to admit a problem and offer a fix (on the 2007's) that didn't exist?? Dark thoughts indeed!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The IDS creates a second source of dampening for the engine pulses. The pulse peak is flattened to a point where rebounding won't occur because it's a smooth pulse instead of a sharp hard impact.

Hey MoCo, you reading this? When is my damn softail ids going to be made?
Ron

Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 PM
panheadache
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rbabos

The IDS creates a second source of dampening for the engine pulses. The pulse peak is flattened to a point where rebounding won't occur because it's a smooth pulse instead of a sharp hard impact.

Hey MoCo, you reading this? When is my damn softail ids going to be made?
Ron
Ron, I smell a decomposing puss-ridden rat. Not you personally, just this whole IDS thing. My bike rattled like a projectile-vomiting pea-thrasher as received, and is quiet as a mouse with the HD 5th gear set extracted [like the rotten molars that they were] and the Baker 5th gears inserted into their place. No "pulse dampeners" or other gee-gaws would be needed if the gears were correctly fabricated and installed in the first place. I dislike bandaids on my mechanisms emplaced to cover up gangrenous engineering incompetence.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It may end up coming to that in the end as MoCo will probably leave us softail drivers out in the cold. Have to do the comp first, then I' work my way backI take it you are happy with the 6F6 from what I've read?
Ron

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
panheadache
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rbabos

It may end up coming to that in the end as MoCo will probably leave us softail drivers out in the cold. Have to do the comp first, then I' work my way backI take it you are happy with the 6F6 from what I've read?
Ron
I'm OK with it. Good quality but pricey. I'm grumpy because I'm PO'd at HD over this whole stinking mess.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Check out the H-D site and the BS that they claim about their '08 trannies. Same thing they said about the '07's. What a load! You have to dig into the touring-bike propaganda videos to find it, but it's good for a chuckle. Kind of reminds me of alcoholic beverage and tobacco industry ads that try to maketheir worse-than-worthless products sound really awesome & cool when they're really just $hit-on-a-stick!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!