Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:03 PM
jerry h
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

F6F stands for factory 6 fix

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer

FX,the thing that scares me most about dropping 20+ grand on my first Harley is just this attitude (that dealers takeany problem the bike is experiencing and place the blame back on the owner). I know every dealer isn't like this and I know every bike isn't perfect from the assembly line, but for that kind of money, I refuse to put up with that type of attitude. I for one will continue to hold off for another year or two until I'm satisfied that this tranny whine, clatter, clank or whatever you guys want to classify it as is not going to be a long range issue.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's certainly a safe posture. But in the mean time you'll be missing out on the best products to come out of "Milwaukee" to date.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Hey Glens,

If this is the "bestto come out of Milwaukee", then they have a long, LONG way to go before they get any of my money! They must have produced some REAL crap in the past for your statement to be valid. I know for a fact that the older bikes are selling for 2-3 times what they cost new. Don't see that happenin' with any of the newer bikes or ever again. The "collectable" aspect of this once-great American icon is no more.

There was an '03 Anniversary Ultra on Ebay that went for $13,000 -about $10,000 less than theoriginal price - and it only had 550 total miles on it and it was dead-stock! Poor guy probably thought he was going to make a killing on his "investment" when he bought it.

John

Old 10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jpooch00

Hey Glens,

If this is the "bestto come out of Milwaukee", then they have a long, LONG way to go before they get any of my money! They must have produced some REAL crap in the past for your statement to be valid. I know for a fact that the older bikes are selling for 2-3 times what they cost new. Don't see that happenin' with any of the newer bikes or ever again. The "collectable" aspect of this once-great American icon is no more.

There was an '03 Anniversary Ultra on Ebay that went for $13,000 -about $10,000 less than theoriginal price - and it only had 550 total miles on it and it was dead-stock! Poor guy probably thought he was going to make a killing on his "investment" when he bought it.

John
Just wondering what type of bike you do own now?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jpooch00

I know for a fact that the older bikes are selling for 2-3 times what they cost new. Don't see that happenin' with any of the newer bikes or ever again. The "collectable" aspect of this once-great American icon is no more.
This site abounds with statements from long-time Harley owners who say the current stuff is the best they've ever had. That's the basis for my statement. I remember Harleys in my younger days, while I was happily riding Hondas, typically marked their spots wherever they sat and had parts falling off on a routine basis. And one pretty much had to be a fair mechanic to operate one regularly.

I believe the reason they aren't holding their value so much anymore is simply because of their great numbers. Production levels rival those of the other makers now. It didn't used to be that way; in that sense they were much more an elitist's acquisition.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:27 PM
arsin46
Novice

So far we are SCREWED!!!!!!!
Ive been trying to find out if there are any plans to make one for the Softails but cant seem to get a call back from my dealer or Moco.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So much bulchit, you don't know what to believe anymore. Heard ids may be out in November. Not holding my breath on that one. Supposedly Baker may have something on the go, besides the f6f. As an owner of a softail, I'm still pissed that we haven't been looked after in this matter considering we have to pay it out of pocket anyway.
Ron

Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Hey ButtMan1000,

I was gonna buy an '07 Ultra till I came across this thread. I cancelled that deal andended up getting the sweetest little '82 FXE you ever saw. Only 16,000 orig miles and all orig. except the carb & pipes and it gets over 60 MPG. Just runs great every day & doesn't leak a drop of oil. Didn't have to spend a penny on it to make it run good and I had a guy offer me nearly twice what I paid for it a few days after I got it. The only oil consumption is thru the chain oiler - about 1/4 oz /hr. It had an S&S Super B on it when I got itand I just puta stock carb & air box that I had on it & now it runs even better! I am SOOOO glad that I didn't go with the '07!!!

In the past I've owned: an '80 FXE, an '84 FLH and a '03 FLHR (which was nothing but trouble from day one),a Sears Sport 60, a '74 kawasaki Z1, a '75 Honda Goldwing, a '62 Matchless G12 (a POS), a '75 Norton Commando and a '56 Cushman Highlander. Oh yeah, I had a Velo Solex when I was 7 too. This '82 is the best of the bunch. I've put over 5000 trouble-free miles on it in 3 months & I'm absolutely lovin' it!!!!

Best wishes and ride safe,

John

Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Kingrich
6th Gear

Owna 07 Roadking with 8500 miles. Had same 5th gear whine, went through the same dealer crap, talked to a hundred people, and here is what i came up with; SYN 3 in trans, still noisy. Harley trans fluid ( which is mineral oil with no known weight ) no change.
The Cure Was MOBIL 1 75/90 SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL. Gear noise is reduced by about 75 percent.
Trans rattle was evident only if in 5th gear and under 52 mph. Just installed set of Vance & Hines slip ons, performance air filter set up, and a Vance & Hines Fuel Pack. A little lazy from 0 to half throttle, but pulled hard from half to wot ( air intake solenoid lets more air in @ 50% throttle and up). Called V&H andtweeked a couple of settings to richen up the low end rpm range and bike runs strong through full range.I run it hard at times and only complaint is either chain noise, or ping when at WOT under load thru allrpm ranges. Seems worse at high rpm's.
After 8500 miles, I actually liked my 05 Superglide 88 /5 speedpowertrain with V&H Bigshots, Jetted CV Carb,better than the 96 /6 speed.
Two trips to NC @ 1700 mi each; could'nt do it on a cruiser.Gettin Old, need added comfort.
Good luck to ALL with noisey trannys and chain rattles, but it is a Harley. If we wanted cool, comfort, quiet, smooth, we'd buy Hondas.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!