Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Budman1982
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Experiencing same problem. Contacted HD customer service and they claim not many complaints received about noisy 5th gear...BS. Everyone I have spoken to about problem is complaining. My dealer is aware of the problem, but HD is not doing anything about it.

Heard there is a solution to reduce the noise but not eliminate it..."Isolated Drive System".Although the 2008 models now have the new system, HDnot willing to pay for it or install under warrantyon the 2006 7 models. I think the new 6 speed transmission owners are getting screwed by HD. It is definitely a design issue and HD should make it good. HD wants us to pay for the upgrade.

If you what to be heard, call HD customer service at 414-343-4056. I spoke to a rep named Cindy. Not very helpful. Claimed dealer should not have given me the phone number to complainto get authorization number for upgrade. I suggest who ever reads this posting call and complain. We need to be heard in an attempt to get some resolution to problem.

I'm also writing a letter to Jim Zeimer, HD CEO to complain about this 5th gear noise. If we have to put up with the gear noise, we need to all make our own noise to get this problem resolved.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay - I read through a lot of this thread, but didn't find what I was after. I understand the IDS will reduce/eliminate the clatter in 5th, but my question is - if I leave the bike alone, is this clatter going to trash the tranny? I'm okay with the noise as long as damage doesn't result.... Any reports of trannies blowing up because of this "issue"????

Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5th gear whine should fade w/mileage.Heavy oils some have added to quiet this noise maynot be letting the trans burn in quickly.The IDS should also end the clatter but since its starting point is from motor maybe your tune is off, some sensor is out of spec,something is loose like a heat shield,etc.Or you have clatter from poor oil pressure,circulation.Has your bike FX4 been checked for wet sumping?I seriously doubt that HD will do anything for the 5th gear whine but filing a complaint may get them to look deeper if pressed hard enough.Your dealer may get tired of dealing or hearing from you.But then you will have to deal w/rep.This person will do his best to win you over so stand your ground if you cant live with it.Cindy seems to get the most irate owners,she was mine also.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Budman1982

Heard there is a solution to reduce the noise but not eliminate it..."Isolated Drive System". Although the 2008 models now have the new system, HD not willing to pay for it or install under warrantyon the 2006 7 models. I think the new 6 speed transmission owners are getting screwed by HD. It is definitely a design issue and HD should make it good. HD wants us to pay for the upgrade.
Obviously you're not happy. There are a very few of you compared to how many bikes are in service, it seems. The design is sound-enough. Perhaps some corner cases where the edge of the tolerance window has been bumped is what's happened and maybe you've got one. I'm pretty sure I do. But I don't care. I know that if anything happens (and I'm confident it won't because the design is sound) HD will stand behind it.

The reason they're not giving away the IDS, which by 9998 out of 10000 reports (rough estimate) cleans things up sonically and otherwise, is because they don't need to. The '08 owners who've got it already on their bikes paid for it in the purchase price. We did not pay for it. If we want it too, we can pay for it too and reap the benefits.

My '07 RKC is the noisiest example I've encountered and it sounds okay to me nonetheless.

I'd say don't give it a moment's thought if you're concerned about the longevity of the drivetrain. If you want to quiet it down, spend about $225 and do it.

Just to be clear if I wasn't enough already. I'm not saying you don't perceive what seems to you like a real problem. I am saying I'd be surprised if yours was noisier than mine, but I don't perceive a problem in the least. As far as getting an IDS it's still a coin-toss for me but it sounds like for you there's no question whatsoever. Spend the couple of bills and be done with it if you want to improve on a good design.

By the way, in case you haven't read or heard: it's not 5th that's noisy, it's the others that're quiet. There are several reasons they cut 5th gear differently from the rest besides 1st. I agree with the design decisions and am happy as a hog in slop with it/them. I didn't buy a Harley to have it sound like a Honda (which, in case you've never owned one [I've owned several], aren't "all that" either).

Old 10-08-2007, 04:02 PM
FLHSbob
Cruiser

My 2cts.

I have a 07 Ultra with 14K miles. Bike has always run great. I had some clatter when lugging the engine but did not consider it a showstopper. When the 08 came out with the IDS I decided what was good for the goose was good for the gander and installed one on mybike. A GREAT improvement!
That being said I don't think there is anything wrong with the tranny itself.(Therefore, IMO this looooong thread is titledincorrectly).I believe the source of the "clatter" (not 5th gear whine)is the 96 cu. in. engine combined with a "weak" compensator assy. It doesn'tcompletely compensatethe torque pulsesproduced bythe bigger engine.

My reasoning for the above statement is:

1)The 06 Dynas don't have "clatter.
If I understand correctly, and I might be wrong,the 2006 Dyna's have the same drive train from the compensator through the tranny as the 6th speed 07 bikes.
I don't recall any complaining about clatter on those 88 cu. in. bikes.
It wasn't until the introduction of the 96 cu.in. engine did "clatter" complaints start.
2) The IDS works!
It provides additional compensation for the engine torque pulses throughout the drive train.
The tranny is fine, if you don't mind a little "whinning".

Just some thoughts.
Bob

ORIGINAL: CKinAZ

Okay - I read through a lot of this thread, but didn't find what I was after. I understand the IDS will reduce/eliminate the clatter in 5th, but my question is - if I leave the bike alone, is this clatter going to trash the tranny? I'm okay with the noise as long as damage doesn't result.... Any reports of trannies blowing up because of this "issue"????

Old 10-08-2007, 04:27 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master

I don't think I'm gonna worry then. Including all the off-road stuff I've owned over the years, this is my 24th bike. I've had a few that were far noisier than my FLHT - my current 450cc built atv makes more valvetrain noise than anything I've owned - so it was more of a concern with the HD than anything else.

Dayum, I love this Harley though.... It has soul!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:54 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pittguy,

Like I have said in the past I can live with the whine in fifth. BTW my fifth gear whine is getting louder as I put miles on the bike. I'm approaching 9k miles now. It does not bother me. It is chatter that drives me up a wall. IDS greatly reduced the noise but I still have some chatter. The funny thing is directly after an oil change (all holes) the bike shuts up completely for a few hundred miles. No my bike has not been checked for wet sumping. I think my dealer would just look at me like I am stupid if I asked that question. My dealer is tired of me and tried blaming the problems on me. I went ballistic and they backed off.

ORIGINAL: pittguy

The 5th gear whine should fade w/mileage.Heavy oils some have added to quiet this noise maynot be letting the trans burn in quickly.The IDS should also end the clatter but since its starting point is from motor maybe your tune is off, some sensor is out of spec,something is loose like a heat shield,etc.Or you have clatter from poor oil pressure,circulation.Has your bike FX4 been checked for wet sumping?I seriously doubt that HD will do anything for the 5th gear whine but filing a complaint may get them to look deeper if pressed hard enough.Your dealer may get tired of dealing or hearing from you.But then you will have to deal w/rep.This person will do his best to win you over so stand your ground if you cant live with it.Cindy seems to get the most irate owners,she was mine also.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

Yes the 06 Dyna has a clatter since new
I have been thrown out of dealer also had warranty voided
and have had inner primary berring replaced at 6990 mi have 14000 mi on it now

Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 AM
jerry h
Novice

yes i have herd of trannys giving up at 8,000 to 10,000 miles H.D. replaced them but with same box BUT WHAT ABOUT MY SOFTAIL ?no fix four me

Old 10-12-2007, 04:01 PM
jerry h
Novice

i have found out that BAKER do fix a 5th gear upgrade called F6F cannot get a price ? this is for all softails any comments?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!