Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:22 AM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Ironoxide,I fully agree with you about Cynic. He has definitelyattended the Motor Companys School for denial of warranty and design problems.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:32 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, have been accused here of being an H-D shill. I am not. I don't work for them or anyone involved in any way with anything involved with them. I have a bit of design experience under my belt and I recognize the "cruise drive" tranny to be an excellent design. The implementation perhaps suffered somewhat, but the IDS takes care of that little bit of inelegance. I suspect the IDS was part of the original package but was nixed by some other group at H-D on the way out the door.

Baker came along and offered an helical-cut 5th gearset. Along with that came the necessary heavier bearings and backing plates to handle the increased thrust which the engineers originally designed out of the package. Also, the speedo pickup needed to be redesigned for the Baker. Baker changed nothing else. It was merely a different cut for 5th gear. If the design was a piece of junk he wouldn't have put his reputation on such a simple modification.

I recently met a person with an RKC one month older than mine. It also had mid-6k miles on it. He's had, he guesses, nearly half that mileage put on by the techs in the shop. He said nearly the same thing some of the others here have said, namely "I spent $20k on a bike and I expect it to be perfect." His has had the tranny replaced.

We rode a bit, swapping bikes back and forth and commenting on them. He's still not entirely satisfied with his tranny but I am with mine. Know what? His driveline is a lot quieter than mine. I've countered the challenge here that I wouldn't buy someone's bike in the condition it was in with "How do I know mine's not worse than yours? Would you buy mine?" I now feel confident that mine is and they wouldn't.

But I'm perfectly satisfied with mine. I think it's a great design and fairly implemented. Life's too short to get so irate over something so unimportant.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 PM
easyriderone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rode my bike home after having IDS installed. I also believe the fix is here now in the IDS system (yamaha is using alsoalikesystem in their Roadstar and of course the V rod uses a two piece pulley system). My bike is quiter, no clatter, no 5th gear whine and the whole bike rides smoother. My dealer installed the part for $105.00 labor (took him about 11/2 hour including test ride). I took him my IDS system and he did the install while Iwaited. I am sure there are some people who installed the Baker fix and are happy with it, but in my opinion you going to see a cost reduction real soon in their kit. I doubt if they sale a lot of them now. Yes I like others really think Harley should have stepped up to the plate and installed the IDS under warranty, but hey $327 for cost of part and install is still a cheap fix.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glens

I, too, have been accused here of being an H-D shill. I am not. I don't work for them or anyone involved in any way with anything involved with them. I have a bit of design experience under my belt and I recognize the "cruise drive" tranny to be an excellent design. The implementation perhaps suffered somewhat, but the IDS takes care of that little bit of inelegance. I suspect the IDS was part of the original package but was nixed by some other group at H-D on the way out the door.

Baker came along and offered an helical-cut 5th gearset. Along with that came the necessary heavier bearings and backing plates to handle the increased thrust which the engineers originally designed out of the package. Also, the speedo pickup needed to be redesigned for the Baker. Baker changed nothing else. It was merely a different cut for 5th gear. If the design was a piece of junk he wouldn't have put his reputation on such a simple modification.

I recently met a person with an RKC one month older than mine. It also had mid-6k miles on it. He's had, he guesses, nearly half that mileage put on by the techs in the shop. He said nearly the same thing some of the others here have said, namely "I spent $20k on a bike and I expect it to be perfect." His has had the tranny replaced.

We rode a bit, swapping bikes back and forth and commenting on them. He's still not entirely satisfied with his tranny but I am with mine. Know what? His driveline is a lot quieter than mine. I've countered the challenge here that I wouldn't buy someone's bike in the condition it was in with "How do I know mine's not worse than yours? Would you buy mine?" I now feel confident that mine is and they wouldn't.

But I'm perfectly satisfied with mine. I think it's a great design and fairly implemented. Life's too short to get so irate over something so unimportant.
Glens,

All points taken... that's fine. However, I can't picture ***** G ( or his duely appointed representitive) after taking a test ride on a clattering, chattering Ultra, saying to the design team, "Yup fellas, you hit the nail on the head, that riding experience is what Harley's all about"! No, They simply missed it, or (and I hope not) lacked the passion to really care. It reminds me of, back in the mid 80's, when GM vehicles - no matter what brand, all looked the same. GM suffered for it...they still haven't recovered.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:13 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: panheadache

Just a quick update on my 07 FLHTC. [TMax+SE A/C+04 Stock Muffs+F6F]. Now closing in on 5000 mi. F6F very quiet in 5th, now the gear I use most. No whine, no clatter. Just a tight, silky feel overall. A diff bike than was delivered, fer shur. Still in honeymoon period after initial as-delivered blues. Might be a keeper, we'll see. Check ya'll later.
Pan,

Thank you for the update. You made the financial commitment that many, including myself, didn't have the guts to do. Bravo!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
daconiam
Tourer

I will soon have the IDS installed and I am hoping for the best.

No matter how my bike turns out I am pissed at the MoCo. There is no excuse for the issues with my bike. The MoCo knowingly put out a POS of a product and I suffer.

It really, reallypisses me off to even think about how underhanded HD is about the POS product they sent out. [:@] "Willey G" and company have no conscious. [>:]

Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: daconiam

I will soon have the IDS installed and I am hoping for the best.

No matter how my bike turns out I am pissed at the MoCo. There is no excuse for the issues with my bike. The MoCo knowingly put out a POS of a product and I suffer.

It really, reallypisses me off to even think about how underhanded HD is about the POS product they sent out. [:@] "Willey G" and company have no conscious. [>:]
I'm not sure they knowingly put out a bad product but I'm inclined to agree.
Hard for me to say but I think my 07 will be the last I buy from them.
We stepped up, they didn't. Principle counts in my book.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Dogdoc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update on my situation. My bike is now at the dealer. They have denied that thereis any problem and say that the noise is " Normal" They are all following the company line. They have admitted that much of their warrantee work is checking out this problem. I am so freaking dissappointed in this. The fact that the Harley Davidson dealership is just towing the company line. I feel Like they should be MY advocate in this matter and they are not. I have NO advocate when it comes to this problem. The head of the service department had never heard of the fix. I had to show him in the book. It is still quite amazing to me that I spent 22k on a bike and it vibrates so badly in sixth gear at 70 mph that it sounds like the bike is just going to self destruct. The noise is so loud that everyone who has ridden with me can clearly hear the clatter. And the dealers response is that this is "Normal". I am ready to go out and get the part but I will never go back to this dealership and this will probably be my last Harley. I am still stunned by all of this and bitterly disappointed in HD

Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM
daconiam
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dogdoc

Just an update on my situation. My bike is now at the dealer. They have denied that thereis any problem and say that the noise is " Normal" They are all following the company line. They have admitted that much of their warrantee work is checking out this problem. I am so freaking dissappointed in this. The fact that the Harley Davidson dealership is just towing the company line. I feel Like they should be MY advocate in this matter and they are not. I have NO advocate when it comes to this problem. The head of the service department had never heard of the fix. I had to show him in the book. It is still quite amazing to me that I spent 22k on a bike and it vibrates so badly in sixth gear at 70 mph that it sounds like the bike is just going to self destruct. The noise is so loud that everyone who has ridden with me can clearly hear the clatter. And the dealers response is that this is "Normal". I am ready to go out and get the part but I will never go back to this dealership and this will probably be my last Harley. I am still stunned by all of this and bitterly disappointed in HD
Get the IDS installed, it makes a dramatic improvement (just had mine done today).

Does not excuse "Wiley" Willey nor MoCo from being sorry bastards, but itwill make thehumiliation of being screwed over by HD aloteasier to stomach.......[:'(]

Old 09-07-2007, 06:54 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DogDoc,
You will find that these folks here in the forum are more up-to-date than the dealers,sorry I meant STEALERS !!!!
You should print out some ofthese postsfrom the IDS installed section and show your stupid Service Manager.
Whats really funny is all the propragandawe are always fed aboutbestfactory trained technicians at the HDdealership.LOL!!! Hell some of them can't even press a bearing in without blowing out the backside and others have had fluids left out of primarys and transmissions. My opinion is how can you trust your life to someone who takes wheels and major suspension componants off your bike for repair and service when theycan't even perform the simplest tasks like remembering to put fluids back in.
Hope all you folks double check your axle torque and shock boltsand fluid levels after each and every service a Stealer performed.
Your lifedependson it!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!