Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: daconiam

The agony of it all! Took my bike in for the IDS install and they took the bike right back to the back and commenced the work. Well after an hour, they told me "sorry we do not have the newtool to press in your bearing, we will put your bike back together and call you when we get the special tool..... have a nice day!"

Even though I was very specific when I made the appointmentwhat the work was going to be, I knew I should have pressed the bearing myself before taking it in....

I guess I still get to complain for a bit longer....
What shop is it?

Want to make sure in my travels that I do not end up there for service work!!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2141532/tm.htm

Yeah, what a POS, poorly machined, gear slopping, fork rattling, door loading, bearing crying, retard design anyway. Won't even lock up without oil. Now how is this poor fellow suppose to get them to believe he didn't drain all the oil out himself, Huh?

Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 PM
wildeano
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the same problem with 2 dealers here in florida. ft.myers fl. harley busted the back of sprocket out, trying to press bearing in. i then called sarasota harley and ordered another ids from them, the part came and i took the bike to them for install, and two hours later they called and said they needed special tool to press bearing in. said it would be sometime in october to january before tool would be available. customer srvs. at moco says there is a special tool being manufactured, cause a lot of dealers are breaking or busting ids sprockets.... so as for myself i will have to wait..

[IMG]local://upfiles/35865/98CC496FE55C47339687AF9233EEF3E0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When a wrench can't perform a simple task like press a bearing in, there's a problem with skill level. Should not be touching any part on a bike, if that's the case.
Ron

Old 09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Dogdoc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a Nightmare. I have a 2007 Ultra. I immediately noticed the noise in fifth gear and was told it would get better. I now had my 1000 mile service done and I went out for a road trip. I went from New York up to northern Vermont and put over 800 miles on the bike this weekend. Sixth gear is a nightmare!! once your over 70 miles an hour ( I cant go that fast in new york!) the tapping noise becomes deafening. You can no longer hear the engine or exhaust noises. If you go up any sort of incline the noise is dramatically worse AND now the whole bike vibrates to the noise. I had to stop usilng sixth gear on the interstate if there were any hills because the noise is so loud, I am afraid the whole bike is going to self destruct. I have been told this is "normal" and the solution of the service departmen was..... I swear they told me this....." Turn the radio up" I dont want the bike anymore
IS there a fix for this?? Help!!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

If you read through this thread, you will find a lot of info on the IDS. Could be the ticket for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:37 AM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dogdoc

What a Nightmare. I have a 2007 Ultra. I immediately noticed the noise in fifth gear and was told it would get better. I now had my 1000 mile service done and I went out for a road trip. I went from New York up to northern Vermont and put over 800 miles on the bike this weekend. Sixth gear is a nightmare!! once your over 70 miles an hour ( I cant go that fast in new york!) the tapping noise becomes deafening. You can no longer hear the engine or exhaust noises. If you go up any sort of incline the noise is dramatically worse AND now the whole bike vibrates to the noise. I had to stop usilng sixth gear on the interstate if there were any hills because the noise is so loud, I am afraid the whole bike is going to self destruct. I have been told this is "normal" and the solution of the service departmen was..... I swear they told me this....." Turn the radio up" I dont want the bike anymore
IS there a fix for this?? Help!!
DogDoc there is a fix and you can read back several pages on thistopic for the new part that HD that just came out with for this problem. It will fix your problem and you will love your new bike. It is a new rear 2 piece sprocketwith rubber inserts that willeliminate the drive line shocks you are receiving.
Isolated Drive Sprocket. HD # 40287-07retail price 305.00 Zanotti HD online price 198.25
You wouldsave quite a bit of money if you order it from Zanotti HD in Butler, PA(zanottimotor.com )
You probably won't get any help out of your dealer.They all have been dodging this problem for over a year now but the fix is the IDS.Look at the topic on these forums called IDS installed.
The reallyfunny thing is mostDealers and Service Depts.don't even have any idea that this will fix this problem that we were all having with the 07 bikes. Several have told me that they didn't see how a rear cushion typesprocket could do anything to help transmission and primary noises. LOL
But it will!! Oh it really will !! Read on man Read on !! And then get your own IDS Its the best 200 I'veever spenton a bike.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 827 Likes on 393 Posts

Just a quick update on my 07 FLHTC. [TMax+SE A/C+04 Stock Muffs+F6F]. Now closing in on 5000 mi. F6F very quiet in 5th, now the gear I use most. No whine, no clatter. Just a tight, silky feel overall. A diff bike than was delivered, fer shur. Still in honeymoon period after initial as-delivered blues. Might be a keeper, we'll see. Check ya'll later.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dogdoc:

Barring any engine/bottom end problems that your bike could possibly have, and I highly doubt it, I would definitely recommend you purchase the IDS and have it installed or install yourself if competent.

Here's my initial take on the matter, and after an 1100 mile ride this past weekend via the WV mountains, 80mph Interstate jaunts, and 300 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway, this (IDS) has made my '07 Ultra an absolute pleasure to ride:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2112806/tm.htm

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Cynic

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2141532/tm.htm

Yeah, what a POS, poorly machined, gear slopping, fork rattling, door loading, bearing crying, retard design anyway. Won't even lock up without oil. Now how is this poor fellow suppose to get them to believe he didn't drain all the oil out himself, Huh?
Cynic,

With all due respect, I must ask if your at all related to the new H-D six speed development? Your company involved? Perhaps you supply some parts maybe? Afterall, your the only guy I've read that insists that the tranny is a "terrific" design. It may turn out to be just that. However, there are many great tranny designs out there that simply don't sound like sh*t. The H-D design didn't satisfy those customers that bought their flagship model. They failed period!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!