Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Roadbandit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

I didnt say i was not going to resolve my problem withmy 07clatter king, i just think you should get what you pay for. I would beleive a $7000.00 Honda or cheaperrice eater havingproblems, but a 20,000 dollar American made bike. Then the company telling me that its made to sound that way,or your lugging it, or the noise is bouncing off the road and amplified through the primary cover to my ears or what ever else that they want to say to cover up a defect. Then have the guts to say (or not to say )for 305.00 plus labor you can have a normal sounding bike. By the way if your bike is like mine the sound has got worse with miles soI think what ever the defect is it has got worse and this IDS is not going to fixthe real problem. When that time comes wecan shell out more money plus labor and fix the real problem. The bottom line is Harley Davidson gave every one of us a contract telling us that they would warranty these bikes for two years. They arebreaking that contract and we are letting them get away with it!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
96inchBOB
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im a poor blue colar working man that cant afford a softail or a dresser. I took a $5000.00 loss on a 05 sportster to get away from all the noise and my 07 S/B made just as much noise as the sporty did. I can not afford another loss like i took before and harley has the upper edge on this issue, like i said i am a blue collar working man and they are harley davidson so i stand no chance. I just bit the bullet and bought a IDS pulley and modified it to fit a DYNA to make myself happy with my bike it has zero noise now. I am very happy with my bike now $305.00 is a lot cheaper than the first loss i took and not much more than 1 payment. Happy with harley well not really but what can you do. I will not ride anything but one or i willquit riding and i am not ready to do that.Oh guess i need to get off the computer so i can make some money to fix and pay for this motor cycle later...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too bit the bullet and purchased an IDS, should have it here Thursday with a Friday install.

HD MoCo has lost a diehard HD fanbecause oftheir lack of response on my 07 Ultra. I cannot "bring them down" or any such thing but kind of like the ..tell 2 friends and they tell 2 friends... analogy, for every displeased customerthere will be several potential customers never realized along withdamage totheirreputation.

In my opinion theyare not standing behind their product and there is no excuse for the lack ofaction.

They would have made many more customers (and money) by addressing the 07 bikes and customer's concerns. You can really never restore a reputationonce lost, and the HDreputation is the only thing that separated HD from others.

I am sure there are, new to HD, 07 riders out there that are not complaining but think their bike is "not quite right" or HD bikes are not that good and will go to a non-HD bike for their next purchase.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:13 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK the IDS is installed. All I hear now is the whirring sound in first(!) and fifth gear that I should have heard all along.
- The IDS is just what the doctor ordered
- Harley should have made these available via warranty or through reduced cost to those that had open tickets with customer service. For this reason I say "MOCO - YOU SUCK!"
- With $30k invested in the bike all ready, it was getting IDS whether it helped or not. In my case it helped a bunch!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Ray J
Novice

Ok here's my input on the IDS. I ordered one from WWW.discountbiker.com on August 16 for $189.56, $ 7.00 handling, $10.67 shipping of 13lbs from Fla. to Ohio Total of $ 207.23 andIrequested at ordering to install the bearing which they did at no additional charge.It arrived via UPS yesterday August 27. I installed last night, actual install of IDS onto rim maybe 15 minutes; total time with wheel removal;two muffler removal and then reinstalling everythinggetting bike ready to ride 2.5 hours. Little difficult putting wheel back in swing arm with IDS. Base of IDS unit with rubber inserts bolts to rim like original sprocket, then replacement IDS sprocket is a slip fit over this base. IDS sprocket has a tendancy to walk off of assembly trying to jostle wheel into position of swing arm, just had to be aware of it and keep knocking assembly back together. Definitely better withextra help.I had to use a ATV / motorcycle lift which wasn't easiest to raise and lower bike onto thetire, better quality lift would be a big plus. Couldn't wait to ride with the IDS and I wasn't disappointed, it's fantastic. this damn thing should be on all 2007's All gears are quieter 5th is a dream can shift at all owner manual shift points, no clanging, no rattling, no bucket of bolts even at 45 mph 1900 rpm 5th gear. ran 6th down to 50mph no problem. The bike is damn fun to ride now, so I'm out of here now no more to bitch about, BUT Harley MOCO definitely needs to step up and fix all 2007's and to reimburse all of us who have chosen to move on and enjoy our bikes. I filed my complaints with my State Attorney General, with the NHST, I e-mailed the attorneys handeling the Honda wobble suit and asked for their review of our problem. The only help I ever got was from discountbiker with a decent price reduction on the parts I needed. So do yourselves a favor order the IDS, If you're a capable wrench install it yourself, otherwise hold onto it until a tire change, like I said it was 15 minutes to bolt onto the rim so it shouldn't add that much $$ to a tire change. Check out discountbiker for other price savings especially chrome, and no I'm not involved with them, hell I live almost 1200 miles from them, but they treated me right so I offer up an endorsement. Take care, I'm going ride'n as much as I can before the snow flies.

Ray J.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Bellamacchina
Intermediate

Guys,

got my IDS and the sprocket teeth have a very rough surface, like a coarse grid sanding paper. Doesn't look healthy for the belt IMHO. Any observations from your ends?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: rare100thHD
Hell iclick said, only took him 1 hour.
Yeah, but I didn't have to remove my mufflers. Those with 13" shocks will probably have to remove both sides, and that'll add more time, how much depending on how obstinent those mufflers are. FLHX and FLHRS (12" shocks) should be able to do the job without muffler removal, and with my 12½" shocks I was barely able to do it. I did have to remove the rear muffler bolts, though, for the muffler to drop a bit.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ray J
Base of IDS unit with rubber inserts bolts to rim like original sprocket, then replacement IDS sprocket is a slip fit over this base. IDS sprocket has a tendancy to walk off of assembly trying to jostle wheel into position of swing arm, just had to be aware of it and keep knocking assembly back together.
Same problem here. Next time the wheel is removed I think I can do it quicker and more smoothly. The key is to keep it straight going into the swing arm, which is hard to do.

I had to use a ATV / motorcycle lift which wasn't easiest to raise and lower bike onto thetire....
I used a lift too, but raised and lowered the wheel/tire with a regular hydraulic car jack. Just put the tire on the jack and raise it up into the wheel well.

BUT Harley MOCO definitely needs to step up and fix all 2007's and to reimburse all of us who have chosen to move on and enjoy our bikes. I filed my complaints with my State Attorney General, with the NHST, I e-mailed the attorneys handeling the Honda wobble suit and asked for their review of our problem.
My take on all that is that nothing is possible unless it involves a part that breaks, and we don't t have that here. The trannies aren't breaking, just rattling. Anyway, what is HD to do? They made a mistake letting this condition get out in the first place, but if they decided to fix it, what would they offer us? Free parts and labor? Reduced price for parts?

I like the idea of selling the IDS at HD's cost, including their R&D, for those of us who filed a service complaint. I mentioned it to my dealer early on and they acted like they never heard of such a thing, so called HD and talked with them three times about it, the last time after the IDS was introduced where I got the "vehicle enhancement" song and dance. For those of you who missed this reference in another thread, they refused to acknowledge IDS was a "fix" for anything, but an enhancement to our riding pleasure, sort of like the addition of a cruise control or chrome levers. By selling at cost they would be out nothing and I think most customers would be happy. I also believe providing free labor would not be necessary. Give us the part and let us decide whether we want to install it ourselves of pay to have it done. I do have a problem with HD making a profit on an engineering glitch, and they're probably making plenty on this part.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Ray J
Novice

Yea iclick,I tried the car jack too, but myATV lift would not go high enough with the car jackI got, butI think you got the easiest way to do it. The mother of invention is necessity right, believe it or not I got the wife on the end or a garden shovel with the spade under the wheel, she pushed down on the handle, raising the wheel, till I aligned it and drove in the axle. It worked !!

I remove both mufflers causeI wasn't going to pay my stealer $ 75 for the special Harleytool to remove the acorn nut, I had a 1 7/16 craftsman socket so it was a no brainer to save the $$ and spend a few more minutes pulling off the right side muffler too.

Ray J

Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 AM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iclick,
The way we bought these things we got them for near dealer cost.
I was told last week at a local stealer that Zanatti couldn't be selling them
for 198 cause dealer cost is 170 and no parts mgr would sell for that little
profit. So I guess we got about as darn near dealer cost aswe could.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!