Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Hello guys/gals. I've been reading and lurking on this forum for over two months before I finally decided to register and become a member. First of all let me say that I'm in the market for an EG, but haven't pulled the plug yet based on some of the issues addressed on this forum and in magazines I've read.

So, I've gotsome questions if you wouldn't mind enlightening me. First, what was the rationale behind the Moco going with a straight cut 5th gear in the first place when most of the tranny is helical cut gears? And two, if I get a killer deal on an 07 ($1000 to $1500 off with no freight or setup), would you recommend I buy an 07, or is this whole tranny issue going to severely hurt my resale value if I want to trade the bike in 3 or 4 years?

One thing that does bother me about this whole thread is the attitude that the Moco has taken towards guys with the 07's. There is no problem, yet, every single 08 EG now has the IDS installed on it. Am I missing something there?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hog Heaven
So, I've gotsome questions if you wouldn't mind enlightening me. First, what was the rationale behind the Moco going with a straight cut 5th gear in the first place when most of the tranny is helical cut gears?
Allegedly to add strength to 5th gear, so when you jab it into 5th to pass a truck it can handle the load. Realistically, it is cheaper to manufacture and I think they thought they could get away with it. The whine is not a problem on my bike, noticeable but not unnerving, but the clatter I find less acceptable. Installing 85w140 gear oil helped greatly with both noises, most noteably the clatter, and when I install IDS (expected 08/23) that problem should be gone. Of course, '08 touring bikes have IDS standard, so maybe we'll hear less of that issue from now on.

And two, if I get a killer deal on an 07 ($1000 to $1500 off with no freight or setup), would you recommend I buy an 07, or is this whole tranny issue going to severely hurt my resale value if I want to trade the bike in 3 or 4 years?
I would say yes except for one thing: ABS. Otherwise, if you decide on an '07 you could add the IDS (negotiate that up front) and you'd basically have an '08 drivetrain. The other enhancements (e.g., fly-by-wire and cruise control as a factory option) would not be a big sales incentive for me, although I do hate lubing those throttle cables!

One thing that does bother me about this whole thread is the attitude that the Moco has taken towards guys with the 07's. There is no problem, yet, every single 08 EG now has the IDS installed on it. Am I missing something there?
No, I don't think you're missing anything. The biggest complaint I think is the clatter, which is something the Moco should've caught before unleashing the '07's to the public. There is apparently no easy fix for them, as there seems to be no improvement as the '07 model year progressed, and there's no evidence I've seen that the '08's are any different. IDS is a "bandaide," but it apparently works, so let's put the damn thing on our bikes and quit complaining. Mine comes in Thursday, and if it nixes the clatter as I predict I will no longer have any complaints about this bike. I have an inherent need to fix or improve things, so I may be miserable afterward.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer

Thanks for the response to my questions click. I should have done a search first and saved you the problem of answering my first question (which has obviously been beat to death). I think I'll sell my current bike (04 Road Star) and purchase a late model (06 or older) Ultra. Again, thanks for your patience.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post IClick. I agree with everything you say.

If they make you the right deal, take it. BUT, make sure that the IDS is installed before you take it off the lot. Also if they will let you ride it for at least 30 minutes (get it good and hot!) then you will at least know what you are getting into. My complaints since day 1 has been 5th gear and the stock seat. I've only had the heat problem once (in the middle of the Naked parade at the ROT rally) and the clunking gear changes don't bother me. The seat was taken care of via Road Zepplin and the IDS is on the way.

My $0.02.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 AM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

Nice post IClick. I agree with everything you say.

If they make you the right deal, take it. BUT, make sure that the IDS is installed before you take it off the lot. Also if they will let you ride it for at least 30 minutes (get it good and hot!) then you will at least know what you are getting into. My complaints since day 1 has been 5th gear and the stock seat. I've only had the heat problem once (in the middle of the Naked parade at the ROT rally) and the clunking gear changes don't bother me. The seat was taken care of via Road Zepplin and the IDS is on the way.

My $0.02.

Ditto - I like the bike BUT the clatter WILL drive you to distraction, it is not a subtle noise and the memory keeps you awake at night with dark thoughts.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain

IDS did the trick for me. Yes, ABS on the 08's is nice, but not a show stopper. To this day non ABS Goldwings outsell ABS equipped GW's three to one. I've had ABS on many bikes over the years. I'm sure in part that it's due to my riding style (slow), but never once did I truely need it.

With the addition of the IDS, I'd buy an 07' again with no hesitation.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:52 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I have an 07 Ultra with none of the noise issues. I'd make the deal on the 07 and see if they'd toss in the IDS.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 AM
cdale976
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Hog Heaven

Hello guys/gals. I've been reading and lurking on this forum for over two months before I finally decided to register and become a member. First of all let me say that I'm in the market for an EG, but haven't pulled the plug yet based on some of the issues addressed on this forum and in magazines I've read.

So, I've gotsome questions if you wouldn't mind enlightening me. First, what was the rationale behind the Moco going with a straight cut 5th gear in the first place when most of the tranny is helical cut gears? And two, if I get a killer deal on an 07 ($1000 to $1500 off with no freight or setup), would you recommend I buy an 07, or is this whole tranny issue going to severely hurt my resale value if I want to trade the bike in 3 or 4 years?

find a good dealer first and foremost.
there are a few other changes to the 08's other than abs,electric throttle and ids

they enhanced some bottom end bearings and the tolerances are closer(supposedly). also they supposedly increased the amount of oil scavaged .

most of which the average rider could care less about.

you should be able to find a real sweet deal on an 07 (just be sure to negotiate for the ids)

good luck and welcome

Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
zzmellio
Tourer

Well,here it is. I went to the dealer today and had them install my IDS. I ordered it from Zanoitt last week, it showed up on Monday this week. I called my deater and made an appointment to have it installed, theysaid about a hour to an hour and a half labor. While waiting at the dealer I was having thoughts about it not giving me the results I was expecting. 45 min later it was done. The dealer only charged me 54 dollars for the install. I fired it up and off I went. I kew the bike had cooled down so I wasnt expecting anything yet. Well 60 miles later in 98 degree heat and NO Noise, even the 5 gear whine is 60% less. I had a hard time telling when I was in 5th to be honest. I lugged it down to 30 mph in 5th, NO Noise! 40 mph in 6th, NO Noise! 50mph in 5th, NO Noise, No Comp Noise at all at any speed or gear, No clatter or chatter at all at any speed or gear. Bike vibrates 80%less and 6th is much more enjoyable. 65 - 70 in 6th and it is a joy to ride. Do yourself a favor and get an IDS. You will fall in love with your Harley again. Thanks to all of you who keep us bikers informed.

PS. The wrench that installed my IDS said this was the shops first and asked me to call him and give him the results.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 PM
joev
Stage II

Hi; Maybe someone mentioned it already but American Iron ran a great series on the transmission...the issue with Michelle Smith on the cover and her red Road King is the best analysis of the tranny problem that I have seen..well worth looking for that issue ( a couple of months ago). A must read for all the frustrated in this string. I won't comment.. I think all should read the article and make up their own minds.
Joe V

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!