Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: glens

ORIGINAL: 2007 Black Ultra

I wonder if the Baker fix and IDS will work together. I wonder if the IDS sprocket and stock sprocket have the same number of teeth. Might be a good combination.
Of course they do have the same number of "teeth", and of course they'd work well together. I'm reluctant to call either a "fix" though. One is a different engineering choice and the other is an additional one.
I was just wondering. I have an IDS onorder myself. I would imagine the two together would be a nice setup. As soon as I can get the wife to cut loose with the money for the F6F I'll get it...but may be a few months. Might make a nice Christmas present...hehe!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 AM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: glens

I wonder if the Baker fix and IDS will work together. I wonder if the IDS sprocket and stock sprocket have the same number of teeth. Might be a good combination.
Of course they do have the same number of "teeth", and of course they'd work well together. I'm reluctant to call either a "fix" though. One is a different engineering choice and the other is an additional one.
I was just wondering. I have an IDS onorder myself. I would imagine the two together would be a nice setup. As soon as I can get the wife to cut loose with the money for the F6F I'll get it...but may be a few months. Might make a nice Christmas present...hehe!
I imagine a LOT of people are thinking the same way ..........

Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 AM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

Nope, no failures. Hence, no problem. The reason why I'm not afraid to tour on it.

Not a problem, but a huge issue.

Noisy Harley? Sure in years past, but this is 2007. If your gonna build a new rig, why wouldn't you engineer it to be the best it can be? Why would you allow a "bad noise" into your new build? Surely by now you've seen the latest Harley commercial that ends something like "note by Harley" speaking of course of the exhaust note. If you were going to use that as your trademark, why wouldn't you want that to be what everyone hears and associates with your product? Riddle me that Batman!

If you bought a car with a factory turbocharger and it sounded like a bearing was coming apart and was so loud you couldn't hear the radio you would take it back? What if the manufacturer told you that was normal? Would you live with it? Would you say, "oh toyota/mitsubishi/nissan said it's not a problem" to your friends who want to know what in the h3ll that noise is???

Nope, not a problem, but a huge issue that Harley has chosen to deal with via the IDS, so now the factory has (in not so many words) admitted that it aint right.

I rode a 2008 for about 45 minutes today. It makes the exact same noise as mine. So officially I'm now saying that I'm freaking crazy. I'm going to get the IDS installed with next tire change, but I have no hope that anything is going to change in the "tranny noise" complaint department (definition of insanity comes into play here). But at this point, I don't really care anymore. The big bore kit allows me to cruise comfortably in 6th at 65mph so I can pretty much skip 5th. I've got $30k in the bike at this point, it runs great, it's extremely comfortable to ride for 10-12 hours a day. There is only one down side and I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

If you want to buy a 2008, feel free to contact HornyToad HD in Temple, Tx. They have bent over backwards to help me with this - so great service. You can also ride any bike there BEFORE you buy it which is a good thing to do with this new tranny.

Sorry for the long post, just a little down after todays experience....
TexasRanger,

I've been to HornyToad HD in Temple and have to say that they are 1st class. I almost traded my 06 Standard in up there, but they did not have have a Black Ultra in stock at the time. They did offer to let me ride any bike on the floor...super nice people. My only thought about this drivetrain noise is that if the company can design stuff like fly by wire on the throttle, then they can make a drivetrain that is noise free. They are getting veryadvanced in some of their designs and looks as if they have some very talented engineers, but need adouble take on the driveline. "Fix the basics, then employee the enhancements".

Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with ya. To those who say all Harley's make noise, let me say that there is good noise (ie exhaust note) and bad noise (screaming 5th gear).

Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

[quote ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

All 2008 ultra's include the ids.
[/quote] My neighbor just bought a ultra and sure enough there it is[sm=boosign.gif]If anybody finds out they make one for an '07 FatBoy please let me know.[sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Roadbandit
Cruiser

I read where stealers or trying to charge 3 hours labor for installing the ids. thats 302.00 + 210.00 dollars. The stealer told someone that the motor will have to be re-alined or something and that they would charge three hours labor to do that.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kit paperwork makes no mention of alignment.I had no problems installing kit or alignment problems afterwards.I would look for another dealer.The greed never ends

Old 08-21-2007, 04:27 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Roadbandit

I read where stealers or trying to charge 3 hours labor for installing the ids. thats 302.00 + 210.00 dollars. The stealer told someone that the motor will have to be re-alined or something and that they would charge three hours labor to do that.
My dealer (Louisville Harley Davidson) charged me one hour for the labor. They did the job right as well. I'm very pleased with the installation and IDS performance.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you thinkn that if you had your rear tire replaced at the same time some of the labor would be offset by the tire removal and installation?

Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: parakiller

do you thinkn that if you had your rear tire replaced at the same time some of the labor would be offset by the tire removal and installation?
Parakiller,

Yes, I failed to mention that I had a rear tire replaced and they didn't charge me labor for the tire change and balance.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!