Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:10 AM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Fix or No .............. thank god for this FORUM and owners willing to share info and opinions. Imagine dealing with these issues without the ethernet ... oh, I forgot, you'd be getting updates from your dealer via the MoCo. They (MoCo) have certainly reached new levels of mediorcrity dealing with their flagship motorcycle. I recently replayed their on-line promotion re: Touring bikes and honestly, I laughed out loud at their outrageous babble. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Ray J
Novice

Mail order IDS:

DISCOUNTBIKER[/b]
[/b]www.discountbiker.com
ALL PARTS AND ACCESORRIES ARE GENUINE NEW HARLEY- DAVIDSON AND HAVE A FULL FACTORY WARRANTY.[/i]
August 14, 2007[/b][/b]
Thank you for your inquiry at Discountbiker.
The price(s) that you requested reflect your cost, shipping and handling are extra with NO SALES TAX to pay. Florida residents are charged sales tax.
40287-07 $189.56 ......Harley IDS

Please spread the word about our great prices !!!!

DISCOUNTBIKER.COM[/i]
WE ARE DEALERS FOR THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS[/i]
-
Kuryakyn Products[/i]
Custom Accessories – Grips – Footpegs & Lighting
www.kuryakyn.com - Link to catalog and part numbers

Drag Specialties [/i]
www.dr agspecialties.com/fatbook - Link to catalog and part numbers

Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Ray J
Novice

Sorry the last post was so big, but guys were asking for availability of the IDS and it's a lot cheaper then from dealers. I'm ordering one as soon as I line up a place to press in the bearing. The rest I can do myself.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I read that they would press the bearing for you, no charge.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Ray J
Novice

From what I've read in other threads, if I'm understanding the installation correctly. I think, the bearing needs pressed into the wheel hub, kind of expensive to senda wheel to FL, so I willfind a local shop that will do it for a few $$, thanks for the info though.

Edit:
Ok went back and checked, it's pressed into the pulley, which is supplied with the kit, so it could be done by them, ....seen comments about "Zanotii" parts supplier( IDS from Zanoitts.$198 +18.00 shipping) & $10 bearing installation charge.

So for the DYI'ers these prices are better then buying from the "stealers"

Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: FX4

Well I don't know that I would go that far. I mean HD did leave all of us hanging and did not pay for the fix. They also caused people grief with total denial of a problem when their clearly is one.
MOCO is still in denial, I haven't heard so much a peep from them that the IDS is the fix for their clatter wagons. Standard on the 08's, but the IDSmysteriously found it's wayonto the HD accessoriesfor the 07's as well, wonder why?All they did was throw us a bone and at our expense, I might add.Also, it appearsthey've finally weaseled out of their warranty obligation, and people are praising and apologizing for the MOCO's mistake! If the MOCO really wanted to do right by their customers (and if the IDS resolves the root of the problem, NOT the symptom), they'd have a recall stating "the 07's have a noise (Clatter)problem and the installation or fix is the IDS". But the reason they're NOT doing that, or haven't done that, is the clatterproblem goes deeper, and if they ever admitted that by installing the IDS,when these things finally start exposing the real problem, MOCO would again be liable for the ultimate and true fix. Also, we may very well find out that the IDS is just a device to postpone failure until after warranty expiration. Those of you who have bought into the IDS fix, I hope your bikes perform as they should, and am glad you are happy now! As for me, as it has alway been, MOCOshafted mefor a $20,000.00 + substandard bike, and I'm NOTgoing back andlet that train run over me again! I'll wait until the real fix comes from the maker, and if it doesn't, well they won't be living off my money, and I can sleep better at night! "Just because you can't hear something doesn't mean it isn't there".

Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ButtMan1000

That is probably a little harsh. I think once all these clatter buckets are fixed this will all beome a distant memory. I would buy an 07 but I would make the dealer absorb the cost of installing the IDS.

Somecomments,

1) You are assuming that the problem/problems, will be fixed

2) You seem to have great faith in yor ability to pick a trouble free 07

3) You will have a great time having your dealer pay for theinstall ofthe IDS, as they will not admit that there is even a problem!!!
1. I don't have a trouble free one, but I do know that far fewer have problems than do. The problem is the defect rate is too high.
That is exactly why I will not pony up the $20,000 plus to buy a 07!!!!

How will I know I do not buy a clatterbucket?? A quick test ride will not solve that question. Either a new or used 07 will have a BIG cloud hanging over it as far as I am concerned. Why take the chance on an 07 when the 08's are such an improvement????

I know, the dealer will give me a warranty!!!! Yeah!!! They don't admit there is a problem, so fat chance I will get the fixes!!!!

Sorry, but no 07's for me, new or used.

You guys that want to apologize to H-D, just wait till you want to trade in your bike, or sell it outright,THEN decide if they deserve an apology!!!!

PS, I have had enough trouble in the past dealing with defective automobile's, I do not need this hassle again. This may explain my rationale.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get your information that anything was changed on the '08s that would make such a big improvement?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: glens

Where did you get your information that anything was changed on the '08s that would make such a big improvement?
Hello,

I am basing my assumption largely from comments here on the forum, and personal comments from riding buds. Check "electraRICK"'s comments. for example.

Check this forum a couple of pages back possibly, and here.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_751251/mpage_24/tm.htm

Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I wouldn't apologize to MOCO if they provided, free of charge, a recall today that fixed the issues with these 07's. NOT when MOCO premeditatedly sold a $20,000.00 + product they knew was defective from the get-go. MOCO should be the one to apologize for this mess. Just look around at the damage/s that MOCO has caused, probably the most significant damage being a highly depreciated 07 scooter.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!