Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:01 PM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: FX4

ORIGINAL: 2007 Black Ultra

ORIGINAL: rob71458

FX4, Please let us know how it works out for you. I'm still on the fence on this one, but I am kind of excited about it. Imagine owning a bike that you could enjoy riding. Wow!What a concept.
Will do - and I feel the same way. The bike is so close to being perfect for me and yet so annoying every time I ride it.
I'm going to order the IDS on payday - done told the wife. Tired of messing around and if that don't work I'm going to replace the comp. with a sprocket. Want it fixed and move on.Ready to get Rineharts, T-Max and Big Sucker and enjoy the riding. Such a nice bike and want to put the miles on her. Maybe someday HD will come through and give us credit. You know though, I've always read reviews about vehicles and such and always listened and made the best judgement call, but have never been part of the 1st reviews "or the test dummy I should say". This time I am. I could just kick myself in the butt for not waiting. "Once bitten, twice shy". But you know, I'm never going to get rid of this bike. It kinda reminds me of that teenage kid that gives you grief but you continue to love them regardless.
Rhineharts caused an entire different set of issues. Be warned. Do not install them unless you have somebody that really knows how to tune the bike. My god that was three months of hell and overheating. You will need SERT or some other fuel management system.
FX4,

Here's my plan. 1st. IDS to tackle clatter, if clatter still present, will get engine sprocket and new primary chain from Evolution Industries and remove compensator completely. 2nd. Thundermax ECM to run on the stock bike for while to see how it runs - have heard nothing but good reviews about the ECM. 3rd. will be the Ness Big Sucker and Rineharts.Hopefully the ECM and mapsfrom Thundermax will be a non event and the ECM will autotunethe changes with a new map for the Rineharts.
Well I have a ThunderMax unit I'm going to sell. It won't work in my bike. ThunderMax engineers even worked on my bike at bike week. They would set it up and the bike would run great and then start degrading. It got worse and worse until I pulled the unit and jumped up and down at my Harley dealer. The general manager of the service department happens to be an old dyno guy so he came down and tweaked the Rinehart true duals map that is on the SERT disk. It has run well ever since. I have heard of one other guy that the ThunderMax unit would not tune. Pretty much a similar story. It works great on most bikes, but not mine. (BTW: Zippers did a two month test on the unit and determined it is working correctly).
Hmm, interesting. I wonder what caused it not to work right.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced

FX4, Please let us know how it works out for you. I'm still on the fence on this one, but I am kind of excited about it. Imagine owning a bike that you could enjoy riding. Wow!What a concept.
Will do - and I feel the same way. The bike is so close to being perfect for me and yet so annoying every time I ride it.
I'm going to order the IDS on payday - done told the wife. Tired of messing around and if that don't work I'm going to replace the comp. with a sprocket. Want it fixed and move on.Ready to get Rineharts, T-Max and Big Sucker and enjoy the riding. Such a nice bike and want to put the miles on her. Maybe someday HD will come through and give us credit. You know though, I've always read reviews about vehicles and such and always listened and made the best judgement call, but have never been part of the 1st reviews "or the test dummy I should say". This time I am. I could just kick myself in the butt for not waiting. "Once bitten, twice shy". But you know, I'm never going to get rid of this bike. It kinda reminds me of that teenage kid that gives you grief but you continue to love them regardless.
Rhineharts caused an entire different set of issues. Be warned. Do not install them unless you have somebody that really knows how to tune the bike. My god that was three months of hell and overheating. You will need SERT or some other fuel management system.
FX4,

Here's my plan. 1st. IDS to tackle clatter, if clatter still present, will get engine sprocket and new primary chain from Evolution Industries and remove compensator completely. 2nd. Thundermax ECM to run on the stock bike for while to see how it runs - have heard nothing but good reviews about the ECM. 3rd. will be the Ness Big Sucker and Rineharts.Hopefully the ECM and mapsfrom Thundermax will be a non event and the ECM will autotunethe changes with a new map for the Rineharts.
Well I have a ThunderMax unit I'm going to sell. It won't work in my bike. ThunderMax engineers even worked on my bike at bike week. They would set it up and the bike would run great and then start degrading. It got worse and worse until I pulled the unit and jumped up and down at my Harley dealer. The general manager of the service department happens to be an old dyno guy so he came down and tweaked the Rinehart true duals map that is on the SERT disk. It has run well ever since. I have heard of one other guy that the ThunderMax unit would not tune. Pretty much a similar story. It works great on most bikes, but not mine. (BTW: Zippers did a two month test on the unit and determined it is working correctly).
Doesn't it seem like nothing we buy works right anymore.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

FX4,

Dealer suspects my cam is just a smidgen out of tolerance. Zippers thinks it is the true duals messing with the computer. Don't know for sure. They got it running right and I didn't want to mess with it any further.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:51 PM
frisco42
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

There are 8 fastners and it looks to me like they attach a housing holding the outside of the compensator sprockets to the block. This doesn't effect the compensator itself. If I had a scanner I would publish the picture. If anyone wants a copy, pm me with your mailing address.

I'm really starting to think that mine is just really LOUD 5th gear whine. I rode an 07 SE Ultra Classic with the SE 6 speed. All spur cut gears and they all made noise. I could hear it because the pipes on that bike are very quiet. If the bike had louder pipes, I wouldn't have noticed it. While it is noticable, it's not obnoxious like mine, it's something I could live with.

The dealer has told me I can ride every 07 that comes in on trade and if there is one that's less noisy than mine he will swap me. I've done way to much work on mine, it's perfect outside of this one issue and at this point, not enough to make me do something that extreme.

I have not heard anything about 5th gear whine with the IDS installed. Once I hear anything positive or negative then I will make the call on that.

I will say that the big bore kit has helped me alot as I can now run 65-70 in 6th gear so I don't have to use 5th nearly as much as before.
BLOCK?
There are 6 bolts holding the primary case to the engine case, there is no "Block" except in a Boss Hoss, and if you attempted to torque them to 140 ft-lbs you would either strip the threads or snap off the bolts.

Send You my address! Why? So the Moco would know who I am?

No whine with the IDS? I would expect that the IDS would help to smooth out the torque impulses from the motor which would reduce the clatter/chatter, but the whine would still be there.

Big Bore kit helped you? If we all bought into this one the Moco would ring up the cash register at our expense.

Go back to the legal dept and tell them," They ain't all that dumb!".

Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 PM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced

ORIGINAL: frisco42

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

There are 8 fastners and it looks to me like they attach a housing holding the outside of the compensator sprockets to the block. This doesn't effect the compensator itself. If I had a scanner I would publish the picture. If anyone wants a copy, pm me with your mailing address.

I'm really starting to think that mine is just really LOUD 5th gear whine. I rode an 07 SE Ultra Classic with the SE 6 speed. All spur cut gears and they all made noise. I could hear it because the pipes on that bike are very quiet. If the bike had louder pipes, I wouldn't have noticed it. While it is noticable, it's not obnoxious like mine, it's something I could live with.

The dealer has told me I can ride every 07 that comes in on trade and if there is one that's less noisy than mine he will swap me. I've done way to much work on mine, it's perfect outside of this one issue and at this point, not enough to make me do something that extreme.

I have not heard anything about 5th gear whine with the IDS installed. Once I hear anything positive or negative then I will make the call on that.

I will say that the big bore kit has helped me alot as I can now run 65-70 in 6th gear so I don't have to use 5th nearly as much as before.
BLOCK?
There are 6 bolts holding the primary case to the engine case, there is no "Block" except in a Boss Hoss, and if you attempted to torque them to 140 ft-lbs you would either strip the threads or snap off the bolts.

Send You my address! Why? So the Moco would know who I am?

No whine with the IDS? I would expect that the IDS would help to smooth out the torque impulses from the motor which would reduce the clatter/chatter, but the whine would still be there.

Big Bore kit helped you? If we all bought into this one the Moco would ring up the cash register at our expense.

Go back to the legal dept and tell them," They ain't all that dumb!".

Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, check out the big brain on fisting42.
Most of the guys on here know me, know I'm not a moco troll, and I've had the issue longer than most because I've had the bike longer and ridden it more miles. Been dealing with HD since Sept of last year and have the emails (to a VP) to prove it. Just because I don't call the part the name you think it is doesn't mean ****. I didn't say the Big Bore helped the bike, I said it helped me.
Make sure your sober before trying to post again....

Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've checked out some of your other posts - something you failed with me. Seems likely that you are the troll....

"If H-D made this damper available for Softails, I'd buy it in an instant."

Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup I thought he was kind of trolling myself.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no clatter ,hammering, ping,knock,marbles, with the 08,,,,
5th gear whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr is there,,,,,, not to bad..
Must be tolerance issues,, with 07's.....
oh well.......... theres always 09's next year

Old 08-12-2007, 07:59 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

no clatter ,hammering, ping,knock,marbles, with the 08,,,,
5th gear whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr is there,,,,,, not to bad..
Must be tolerance issues,, with 07's.....
oh well.......... theres always 09's next year
So did you buy an 08?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!