Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:15 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Its been said,I even been told that the noise is from engine-frt cyl in mine-that is causing this noise.Maybe they got a revised map that works w/your bike.Due to 07s cam timing,these bikes are hotter than older machines and are also a bear to tune correctly.This along with stock exh set-esp on a stroker-make these bikes not evenly smooth running.Cam scavengingis about a third of older models.This is what is need to cool these monsters.I know under warranty we are stuck with the stock factory sticks but this will if nothing else make these bikes run as cool as older models and give your tuners a shot of making you happy again.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
rob71458
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets get together and sue the bums orput togethera ride to protest this bull----. I can't believe we are taking all this crap on the chin.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced

ORIGINAL: rob71458

Sixth gear is noisey in mine too, but nowhere near as bad as 5th. I am seriously considering going with the Baker kit.
Rob71458,

I plan to as well. The wife and I have been setting aside funds for it. But before you buy from a dealer I found it on ebay for$795.00.
I would keepchecking ebay. That was the cheapest I found it. "I just typed in F6F and it came up under the American Motorcycle
Transmission section". Let me know if you run across it cheaper anywhere.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Its been said,I even been told that the noise is from engine-frt cyl in mine-that is causing this noise.Maybe they got a revised map that works w/your bike.Due to 07s cam timing,these bikes are hotter than older machines and are also a bear to tune correctly.This along with stock exh set-esp on a stroker-make these bikes not evenly smooth running.Cam scavengingis about a third of older models.This is what is need to cool these monsters.I know under warranty we are stuck with the stock factory sticks but this will if nothing else make these bikes run as cool as older models and give your tuners a shot of making you happy again.
Could be I don't know. I'm just kind of stunned that the 5k service cleared the bike up. I'm going with a wait and see mentality...4k miles of pure racket then nothing?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FX4,
Who's your dealer?
TE

Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

With all due respect to everyone, the problems are many and there doesn't appear to be one fix, especially not a simple one.

Nothing about gearing or compensators will help with crank runout and throwaway crank parts, lack of low end smooth torque, overheating, cheap bearings and bad tolerances and a door (cover) that flexes in the tranny, cheap bearings and poor timing/specs on the cams, and on and on.

I really hate to see anyone throw good money after bad hoping for a quick fix. These bikes are crap imho.

Besides,you "void" an already worthless warranty. ??

Sorry to be so blunt. Reminds me of the (not so funny right now) joke about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...

Moco knows these bikes are crap and that's why they are fighting so hard not to fix them. I don't think there is a fix short of drivetrain replacement with a re-engineered train.

I took both my 2002 Deuce and my 1996 Wide Glide (TC88i) and Evo) both with stage 1 out for a test this morning. I can lug the h3ll out of them and all they do is buck and protest but they do not clatter. They don't detonate that I can hear. I'm talking about 800 rpms. At 1500 rpm they just pull hard without issue, in any gear.

I can't hear a 5th gear or any gear whine beyond anything I've ever heard and I would never notice it without this thread.
I totally agree, these bikes are built like crap, MOCO knows it and now, many of these 07owners who have beenscrewed by MOCO, once already withthese junks is going to letMOCO,screw um again bybuying somethingsas simple as the IDS in hopes of a miracle cure, that will some how correctall the bad things that MOCO hasput into these bikes. If it were as simple as installing this IDS thing on these 07's to rid the cause of the dreaded clatter, don't you think MOCO would have had a recall long before all this negative publicity got out and killed their sales? If these things were built using substandard pieces/parts and wild tolerances then the fix is touse quality pieces/parts and correct the tolerances, NOT install an IDS. Oh but if we install the IDS it may stop the noise, therefore the problem itself has been remedy, keep wishing! Sounds like if I don't know it, or in the case of the clatter, I can't hear it,the problem will go away. Can't wait to see how much MOCO is gonna make off this crap, and what's bad is MOCO, hasn't said a single word that the IDS will cure the clatter.Does anyone know whatthe definition of insanity is?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant speak for the clearance issues since mine has never been checked.if it does fail maybe these post have something.The biggest problem with these bikes is they have to operate by EPA rules,otherwise the 06 models would have been it.Cam timing,stroker,exhs,efi mappinggave us a much hotter bike.This also gave us a bike thats very hard to tune correctly but things seem to be changing for some.Sert seems to have a handle on this with some owners-drop them a line and see what mapping was done,if they can capture it.Or contact the dealer they used for mapping your dealer may use.Have your dealer contact other dealer.Correct the shock your engine is seeing and your clatter will dissipate unless dogged way down in rpms in top gear.But for many this shock has to be fixed while still meeting EPA rules or HDs warranty requirements.This IDS kit wasnt offered as a fix because then HD would be admitting a defect.Not sure if a noise would stand as a defect in the court of law w/o good backing.These discount dealers will ship you one for alittle over 200 bucks,maybe your dealer would throw in installation if bought from them???I would expect if this works that every leftover will have one installed.Wouldnt be surprised to see dealers run a special on these kit installs come fall.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 AM
Bellamacchina
Intermediate

Insanity: Doing the same thing all over again and expect a different result.................

Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Well stated! And accurate!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pittguy

I cant speak for the clearance issues since mine has never been checked.if it does fail maybe these post have something.The biggest problem with these bikes is they have to operate by EPA rules,otherwise the 06 models would have been it.Cam timing,stroker,exhs,efi mappinggave us a much hotter bike.This also gave us a bike thats very hard to tune correctly but things seem to be changing for some.Sert seems to have a handle on this with some owners-drop them a line and see what mapping was done,if they can capture it.Or contact the dealer they used for mapping your dealer may use.Have your dealer contact other dealer.Correct the shock your engine is seeing and your clatter will dissipate unless dogged way down in rpms in top gear.But for many this shock has to be fixed while still meeting EPA rules or HDs warranty requirements.This IDS kit wasnt offered as a fix because then HD would be admitting a defect.Not sure if a noise would stand as a defect in the court of law w/o good backing.These discount dealers will ship you one for alittle over 200 bucks,maybe your dealer would throw in installation if bought from them???I would expect if this works that every leftover will have one installed.Wouldnt be surprised to see dealers run a special on these kit installs come fall.
I agree the EPA has put a hurt on these bikes, but other manufactures are building bikes, cars, plane. trainsand what have you, and they don't have the issues MOCO has with some of the07's, especially a clatter noise like many of the 07's have. Also, if the clatter issue was due to EPA specs causing poor engine tuning, and since all the 07's are supposedly EPA compliant and tuned the same, then all the 07's would be clattering, which is NOT the case. Some do and some don't clatter, and since they all have the same pieces/parts and same tuning, the difference can only be in their assembly techniques, i.e. tolerances, which I believe will startcausing mechanical failure sooner than later. Actually the noise itself is a defect and could very well stand in a court of law since so many are having issues with it. Do you really think that MOCO planned the clatter noise and built it into the design of the engine/tranny? Again, they did not since all of the 07's don't clatter. There are many of those who love their 07 and have no issues with it, and that's the way every single bike should have been built! But if you ask your dealer or MOCO about the clatter noise they'll lie and say it's normal, they all do it, who are they kidding. As for the upgrades to reduce or eliminate the 07 issues, I have done all that, i.e. V&H exhaust, SE Stage I breather, PC III fuel management, different oils etc. none of which has remotely cured any of the 07 issue's.Even if I keep the pipes and radio good and loud I still hear the clatter and am reminded of the possibility of engine/tranny lock-up with every mile I ride it. And now after doing the so called betterment to my Ultra Clatter, MOCO has flagged my warranty,and that says they areitching to cancel the warranty to get out of any repair/s.The worst with many of these bikes is yet to come, after all they don't have much miles on them, but anything that clatters, vibrates, overheats, surges etc. this badwill not last as long as it should and neither will the IDS or all the tuning or performance gimmicks in the world willslow or prevent the inevitable. MOCO knows it and is just waiting for what littlewarranty they have to expire. The IDS is probably a good system and should only be added to an already good bike to make it a better bike, not to cover up some mistake that MOCO has made. Not hearing something doesn't mean it isn't there orthat the cause has been remedied!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!