Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM
adroitexdetroiter
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

=====

Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

My wife and I usually take our vacation on the bike to see the grand kids, and all that, but this year after buying the 07 Ultra Clatter, we canceled the vacation, just don't trust that clatter noise and vibration that's in this bike. Besides, MOCO has made it clear that they are not going to stand behind these 07's. What a mess that would be, hundreds of miles away from home and the engine/tranny comes apart, as we all suspect will happen sooner than later, and MOCO says we're not going towarranty the repairs. Now, not only is my bike stranded away from home, but I now haft to get my wife and I back to the home place, on top of the added expense of having the bike towed back home as well. I can't believe I have a $20,000.00 + bike, that can't be trusted to travel much distance on. I realize anything man makes can fail, but why take a chance with something that's this obviousof failure, way before it's time! And even if it didn't fail, I hate listening to that clatter noisethat just ruins the whole ride for me and my wife. Thanks MOCO, your a disgrace to your forefathers and the Harley name, as well!

Old 08-03-2007, 02:40 AM
bgcheese
6th Gear

Runout out of spec, Piston against cylinder wall spacing too much, etc,,etc. I wonder if you took apart 100 Cadillac Northstar engines, how many would be 100 percent in spec--and that's a good motor. I don't know how many of you work in manufacturing, but I do. I've seen them
make anything from beer, to the cans, to the boxes they put the cans in. Point is, very little manufactured product, of any kind, is all in spec.
Harly built a shi**y transmission, by design, not shoddy manufacturing. It makes noises. I blame it on the shoddy bearing doors. Because of that noise, people have found 100 different things "wrong" with various parts of the drive train. If it weren't for the noisy 5th gear, nobody would have looked for runout and other out of spec stuff, and we'd never have known.
The main problem is the tranny. Fix the tranny and the rest is moot.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:05 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I walked through a couple of stealerships yesterday and they have so many '07 bikes left that there isn't any room for the '08's! Actually, there may have been a few '08's, but since they're also POS's it doesn't really mean anything. These were big shops too. The thing was, there were NO customers in either of them, just employees wandering around. These threads are working. Keep it up, guys. My heart goes out to you all, and thank you all again for keeping me from buying one of these junk heaps!

I'm helping to spread the word locally. Justa couple of days agoI cost the MoCo another sale. I met a guy who was ready to finalize a deal on a new Ultra and I told him about this and a couple of other sites. I got an email from him last night saying that he had read some of your posts and that he had cancelled the deal. He was especially pissed over the cancelled warranties. You ARE making a difference!!! Also, it gives me a great feeling to help screw these thieves out of selling their crap to trusting customers. Thank you for giving me the perfect andligitimatewayto do it.

I wish you all the very best,

John

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bgcheese

Runout out of spec, Piston against cylinder wall spacing too much, etc,,etc. I wonder if you took apart 100 Cadillac Northstar engines, how many would be 100 percent in spec--and that's a good motor. I don't know how many of you work in manufacturing, but I do. I've seen them
make anything from beer, to the cans, to the boxes they put the cans in. Point is, very little manufactured product, of any kind, is all in spec.
Harly built a shi**y transmission, by design, not shoddy manufacturing. It makes noises. I blame it on the shoddy bearing doors. Because of that noise, people have found 100 different things "wrong" with various parts of the drive train. If it weren't for the noisy 5th gear, nobody would have looked for runout and other out of spec stuff, and we'd never have known.
The main problem is the tranny. Fix the tranny and the rest is moot.
Gee when I worked in manufacturing we had quality control checking for tolerances, and when something got out of tolerance, we immediately went to great extremes to correct it, and what was out of tolerance went back to the line for correction. Tolerances are not just numbers or specifications pulled out of the air,and adhered to or ignored out of whim, they're for a reason (think quality workmanship) which America needs to get back to. Your Northstar engine may have been a good engine, even if out of specs, but how muchbetter is something when it is built to spec and how much longer will it last? Read Donny Peterson'd article about the tolerances with these engines/trannys. When you build one part crappy, like MOCO has,people are going to look at the other parts to see if they are crappy as well. Can you blame them,doesn't a$20,000.00 investment entitle them to a quality product, NOT a Clatter Wagon?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jpooch00

I walked through a couple of stealerships yesterday and they have so many '07 bikes left that there isn't any room for the '08's! Actually, there may have been a few '08's, but since they're also POS's it doesn't really mean anything. These were big shops too. The thing was, there were NO customers in either of them, just employees wandering around. These threads are working. Keep it up, guys. My heart goes out to you all, and thank you all again for keeping me from buying one of these junk heaps!

I'm helping to spread the word locally. Justa couple of days agoI cost the MoCo another sale. I met a guy who was ready to finalize a deal on a new Ultra and I told him about this and a couple of other sites. I got an email from him last night saying that he had read some of your posts and that he had cancelled the deal. He was especially pissed over the cancelled warranties. You ARE making a difference!!! Also, it gives me a great feeling to help screw these thieves out of selling their crap to trusting customers. Thank you for giving me the perfect andligitimatewayto do it.

I wish you all the very best,

John
Glad to hear that my dealers aren't the only ones stuck with tons ofthe 07 left overs. I myself have cost them several bike sales just by letting people hear my Ultra Clatter. In fact I only haft to drive on the dealers parking lot and they hear it coming, clatter, clatter , clatter. oh but I tell them that the dealers and MOCO say it's normal and that it's ok to buy such a obnoxious noise maker. But hearing is believing and sales keep declining so the bike speaks for itself. Also, our Heritage Day is in a few weeks, which has thousands of people,and I will have the Ultra Clatter on display for all to hear as well as tons of flyer's for people to read about the MOCO, 07 Clatter Wagons and their warranty scam, that's good for a deal killer or two wouldn't you say?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

My wife and I usually take our vacation on the bike to see the grand kids, and all that, but this year after buying the 07 Ultra Clatter, we canceled the vacation, just don't trust that clatter noise and vibration that's in this bike. Besides, MOCO has made it clear that they are not going to stand behind these 07's. What a mess that would be, hundreds of miles away from home and the engine/tranny comes apart, as we all suspect will happen sooner than later, and MOCO says we're not going to warranty the repairs. Now, not only is my bike stranded away from home, but I now haft to get my wife and I back to the home place, on top of the added expense of having the bike towed back home as well. I can't believe I have a $20,000.00 + bike, that can't be trusted to travel much distance on. I realize anything man makes can fail, but why take a chance with something that's this obvious of failure, way before it's time! And even if it didn't fail, I hate listening to that clatter noise that just ruins the whole ride for me and my wife. Thanks MOCO, your a disgrace to your forefathers and the Harley name, as well!
That's a shame, it really is. I would'nt begin to suggest what you should do. Me? I'm riding the heck out of mine. If I'm stranded, I'll deal with it.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Roadbandit
Cruiser

I had a friend tell me the last night that there was no way that my bike could sound as bad as i said it did so i told him to take it out for a ride. He came back in about 15min. and he told me he had no idea that as loud as this bike's clatter is that harley would not do anything about it. ( he's rode harleys since the 50s) I tell you alot of people think were full of sh** untile they have a chance to experance this nerve reckingclatter soundfor themselves.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
RCR
Intermediate

I just called my dealer and my IDS shipped yesterday it is due here on Tuesday.My fingers are crossed that it solves the clatter. I will report next week as soon as it is installed

Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Ray J
Novice

Quote from bgcheese "I don't know how many of you work in manufacturing, but I do. I've seen them
make anything from beer, to the cans, to the boxes they put the cans in. Point is, very little manufactured product, of any kind, is all in spec."

Sorry, but I have to agree with rmsurveyors, I too worked in manufacturing fro 38 years, part of my job was maintenace and repair of high speed vision systems which inspected metal electrical terminals asmanufactured, our tolerances where measured at the "pixel level" (+ or -) 3 to 5 pixels depending on the part.We worked at and suceededin producing less then 1 defective part per billion parts, yes that's billion with a "B".Any modern company working, selling and distributing on a global level must meet Q 9000 quality levels to be recognize as a quality producer, and quality parts / products are sustainable if so desired by the manufacture. Obvious the MOCO has lost it's way as far as quality of product and customer service, and it will effect the company seriously. We as consumers are very powerful by continuing to spread the truth about H.D. products, their lack of customer service, their stoolie dealers,and by continuing to not buy their products. Everything from shirts, to acessories, to bikes. I personally have told my dealer I will never buy another shirt / acessory ever again from them or any other dealer as long as they support the MOCO attitude towards their long time faithful customers. To all affected by this stupidity, just as other have stated, continue to press ourcause, continue to complain to anyone who will listen, tell prespective buyers, write letters to state and Fed officials, state attorney generals, local BBB;complain to regulatory and safetycommisions. AND let any H.D.dealer or H.D.vender at any biker rallies, bike nights, etc THEY AINT GETTING ANY MORE OF OUR MONEY.

Ray J

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!