Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 AM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

but they do have a sign on the wall stating that Harley knows about the 07s and there is no problem with them. I really need to get my bike documented......

Well just got back from the dealer and they have taken down the sign. I also have an appointment for them to check out my bike. New dealer for me and they seem like they are pretty cool.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seem posts where the tranny has been opened up again after the 20K or so miles only to see shards of metal or some sign of damage?

Clearly is chains and cogs were bouncing around and likely to break at some point then there should be some cracks or metal flakes to be seen..

am I right or wrong?

Noise is unacceptable at this level, clearly, however danger of failure is the subject here that needs some focus I think.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 PM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced

ORIGINAL: pkenyon1

Has anyone seem posts where the tranny has been opened up again after the 20K or so miles only to see shards of metal or some sign of damage?

Clearly is chains and cogs were bouncing around and likely to break at some point then there should be some cracks or metal flakes to be seen..

am I right or wrong?

Noise is unacceptable at this level, clearly, however danger of failure is the subject here that needs some focus I think.
I haven't seen anything. I sure hope this is not the case. I'm wondering if the gear ratios are just wrong and its not matched to the highway speeds. The thing that gets me is that the new IDS does not fit themodels sent to Japan. I wonder why.Arethe sprockets different? I'mcurious ifnumber ofteeth are different and if those models are clattering. It makesfor some logical reasoning that if the bike is geared to high wecan't get to the desired range to not avoidthe clattering. I mean, it would make more sense to be running 30mph in 3rd at2100-2300vs. 30mph in 2ndbetween 2700-2900 rpms to me. I'm just racking my brain to try to figure out what's wrong. I don't like running mine at those high rpms, but I know I have to. Just doesn't seem logical. I want to baby it and just cruise down the road, but I feel like I'm riding a sport bike.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 PM
slowburngooch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, Just bought my bike last week (7-17-07). This clattering is what brought me to this site, and why I am now a member. I have put on over 750 miles on my bike in about a weeks' worthof riding. Just made an appointment for the 1000 mile service and mentioned it to the service manager, he said he'll make a note of it and check it out while performing the service. At least it will be documented. I think I will hold off on the mods for a while, maybe they will figure out a solution soon (I hope). Just for the record, the build date on mine is 10-4-06. My buddy rode it home from the dealership (he has an 03 Fatboy) and when I mentioned it to him, he immediately admitted that he thought he heard it as well, and definately heard it while riding along side of, and behind me--and he has pipes, etc.. Perhaps with me being a new rider, and with no windshield or fairing it took a little longer to notice but it is definately there. I thought it was the valves tapping, but after reading this thread, I'm convinced this is the same problem. First noticed it in 5th gear around 50-55 mph right before you are supposed to shift to 6th, that would put it around 2500-3000 rpm? Anyway, I'll be checking on here for any more input, and to hear all the other horror stories. Peace

Old 07-28-2007, 04:57 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

Just got back from a charity ride at Bumpus HD, Jackson, Tennessee, and your right the 07's have very little trade-in value, but the (Dealers)are holding out for top dollar for the 07 leftovers, and they have plenty of 07's hidden in their warehouse. So if you think your 07 bike is worth something, think again, they will insult you with a trade in figure that will make you wish you'd never seen a Harley much less own one. I have never heard figures so depreciated as the ones my local dealersare quoting for the 07's, e.g. Foster HD, Tuscombia, Alabama - Bumpus HD, Jackson, Tennessee, Collierville, Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee and Mufreesboro, Tennessee. I mention their names because they are all con artists. Don't be a fool and let these dealers (scam artists) talk you into trading your bike for one of the 08's, which will be just as screwed up as the 07's are now. From what I'm seeing now, it's more cost effective to do some of the upgrades on these 07's to at least make them some what tolerable, than to let MOCO and their squealers conus out of more hard earned money. And if at all possible, don't buy any of the upgrades from MOCO or their squealers, there are plenty of other vender's out there where these upgrades can be purchased, and at lessor prices. Lets all ween ourselves off the dealers by learning to do at least basic maintenance, e.g. fluid changes, tune-ups, component adjustments etc. By doing so you'll not only save some bucks you'llalso know the service was done right, and all it takes is a service manual and a little reading, most of the tools needed are pretty basic tools and are SAE. Believe it or NOT these bikes are easier to work on than most of todays cars, and twice as fun. Lets face it MOCO has shown us that theres very little warranty if any they will honor on these 07's. Don't let the MOCO train keep backing up and running over you!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:34 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this is the new trend,start sending out letters stating your warranty is no longer valid?These bikes if it wasnt for SERT,Pc111c etc wouldnt have lived this long w/o the buying public flipping out.If the EPA is so tough,how are so many of these dealers getting away w/this?Sure we are quilty but so are they.I agree your 2 yr warranty isnt worth the paper its written on,early on owners had a chance,its gone now if its related to clatter noises.Yes HD will not speak to me,nor dealer but what have they done for my bike so far?Not much.Its sad that everyday I see more and more going through what some of us did last fall.I can almost say what the future posts these ownerswill put in print.I honestly believe HD wants this to go away but some of these bikes are so noisey that its not working so they instead are trying to single you out.They are hoping to make owners rid themselves of these bikes,most have,others will eventually.Think your bikes value is low now?What ifthey cancel the remains of your warranty?How about these owners that bought extended policys?If this is true its going to effect owners that dont even have the clatter.Think about it!Opening up this can of worms is going toeffect almost all 07 owners.The MoCo,Dealers should considerwhat the fallout of this will be.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2007 Black Ultra: Looked at the tooth count the other night , actually. If I remember correctly it's 2 less teeth. Should be more load in thatcase, but it seems that if you have a good one it don't matter how you drive it. If you have a dud like us, nothing seems to work, so far. The ids won't fit the Canadian FXSTC either, not sure about the USversion but I think they are the same.
Ron

Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbabos

FX4:I keep hearing the same crap.like they don't have a test cell already. Give me 5 minutes on that thing and I'll give you the answer. It's not rocket science. They must take us for idiots. It's more like how can we weasel out of this problem? I'm sure you're in the same boat. Sick of being lied to , made a fool of. They want the warranty period to run out on all of us, that's the plan, knowing full well that it's not a saftey issue but more of a nuisence. Let's tease them with this rubber sprocket piece of chit to buy more time, and hell , pick up a few bucks while we're at it. I bet most aftermarket people have the real fix , but are sitting on the fence to see if MoCo will come through. If not,it will be available the day after my warrany expires or soon after.
Ron
I talked with my wife about this issue who is a marketing VP at an undisclosed company. Specifically we discussed crises communication and what Harley should do. She thinks we are pretty screwed short of filing a class action suit. The problem is they denied at first "engineering probably lied to management" so the Motor Co said no problem, then they figured out they have a problem and the bean counters got involved and when they ran the the numbers the costs to repair these bikes is huge so management makes the decision to just ride it out. Which is exactly what is happening - Deny and absolute silence. So given my wifes opinion of the situation who I respect I suspect we are screwed.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 PM
2007 Black Ultra
Advanced

ORIGINAL: rbabos

2007 Black Ultra: Looked at the tooth count the other night , actually. If I remember correctly it's 2 less teeth. Should be more load in thatcase, but it seems that if you have a good one it don't matter how you drive it. If you have a dud like us, nothing seems to work, so far. The ids won't fit the Canadian FXSTC either, not sure about the USversion but I think they are the same.
Ron
Rbabos,

Mine sings the blues in 6th at 70mph and above. Every now and then I hear it when I work though the gears building up speed, but its the highway were she comes to life and lets me know she's still with me. I bet FX4 is right about the fix from the aftermarketers. I bet it's already made and they are waiting, but for mine, I have the 7 year extended warranty so I hope they don't wait that long. My clatter comes from the primary. It has to be the compensator trying to do it's job, which is logical, just sounds like it's enough of a compensator to do the job. But you know I have this burning question. If the Kevlar drive belts are so strong and don'tgive any and they are unsed on the Belt Drive Primary's with out a compensator. Then why have a compensator to begin with? I don't see a compensator on any other belt drives. Today a rode mine up to my local chopper shop and looked a couple choppers with belt drive primary's and I didn't see any compensator, just the two sprockets and a belt. Let me know if I mistaken here.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:34 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: adroitexdetroiter

FX4: this conversation you had confirms a suspicion I've had for some time. HD never confesses to a problem until they have a fix worked out. This is exactly what happened with the rear cam bearing issue on the early TC88s. I think one thing is true: HDdoesn't know what's wrongOR they don't know how to remedy what they know is wrong. It also suggests what many of us have suspected all along about the IDS: it's not a fix, only a BandAid. You know, if HD said publicly thatthey have a problem with the'07 bikesand that they were working on the fix, no one would buy a bike until they knew the fix was proven. Our job is to keep the heat on until they getTHE fixdone for us. Let's keep blowing up the internet and every other venue we can think of. Hail yeah, we are making a dent!

The conversation I had with the service writer from GA is still ringing in my head. Everyone who wants to buy an '08 has to ask themselves this question: DoI feel lucky? As Dirty Harry said: "Well, do ya, punk?" Even if you have no noise your resale value is in the tank. Listen to the guys on this thread. The noise is for real. Why take a gamble?

rmsurveyors: I feel for you. That warranty hassle is the biggest pile of horseshit I've read yet. I think you can beat it though, especially since your dealer put that stuff on. HD has said before that the PCIII will void the warranty because they want you to buy the SERT. Before they released the SERT almost every fuelie dresser owner I know who wanted good performance used the PC because it was a proven product. However: I wouldn't be surprised if they singled you out because you are vocal about your problem and they can't push you around. Look at how they treat pittguy now. They won't even talk to him.They are cowards, plain and simple.

JBaker: thanks for the post. We are here to help each other and that's why I am gaffed to this forum. A flamer can only ruin this thread if we respond.

Agree on all levels!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!