Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM
adroitexdetroiter
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

rmsurveyors, the way it was explained to me was the IDS would only help clatter caused by the compensator (he mentioned a spring pack which will likely have stiffer springs). The kit itself (see the link several posts prior by someone else) looks like a spring pack for the compensator, a rubber dampening unitfor the sprocket and some hardware.Oh yeah, note that this kit won't fit bikes which have certain custom wheels! Again, the story I got is ifyou have clatter caused by out-of-whack tolerances in the gearset, your clatter may not be eliminated. The symptoms you describe on your bike lead me to suspect that your clatter is in the gearset. Just an uneducated guess based on what you have posted in the past.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heardmy buddy's Ultra Clatter, and I know what a compensator sounds like when it bottoms continuously. They are two different sounds.

Any particular reason to believe the new compensator design bottoming sounds just like the previous compensator design bottoming?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:57 PM
adroitexdetroiter
Novice

zzmelio states in another thread that the IDS kit parts are all for the rear sprocket. after looking at it again, he's probably right. so much for the stronger spring pack...

cynic, my answer is "no". some have said the the new primary design amplifies sound in a different manner, and since i have so far had no noise, i honestly couldn't say.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

cynic, my answer is "no". some have said the the new primary design amplifies sound in a different manner, and since i have so far had no noise, i honestly couldn't say.

Me either, but knowing the new design moves toward the flywheel as it's being compressed and essentially bottoms out on the alternator rotor I would think it should sound different!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Roadbandit
Cruiser

I JUST HOPE THEY FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORI I HAVE TO TAKE SOMEONE TO COURT. MY 2007 ROAD KING IS THE WORST BANGING 5TH GEAR P. O. SH?? I HAVE EVER HEARD. BEEN RIDING FOR THIRTY YEARS, AND I HAVE NOT EVER HAD A BIKE SOUND THIS BAD.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

It wouldn't surprise me if with the new cush system in place they move away from the compensator idea all together. I mean, the only reason Sportsters don't use anything in the driveline is because they aren't usually used at parade speed and when they are they don't have enough mass to hurt the feathered clutch. In reality, all the manufacturers seem to be looking for zero driveline lash, with Buell being the closest I think because they only have lash in the drive dog pockets. The big bikes will always need some sort of drive cushion though.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to see anything say heavier,extra spring being added to comp.Pics dont show it nor does any verbage-I may be wrong since this topic is only a few days old.An extra spring was tried during their testing on one owners bike and it made motor/trans noise worse,so this leads me to believe this wont be included.I agree there is more than one thing causing this noise and those that dont get rid of it by the IDS are going to be upset,esp after wasting their money.Hd would be wise to to give these dealers something to go by.I would say my noises are primary and engine.Engine more so.What this kit would do for mine is unknown.I dont expect anyonew/in the hd circle to step forward.Until these dealers start coming clean on this noise/CS included,this kit maybackfire for them.The kit may have nothing to do w/the clatter at all.It may be driven torward the surging someowners have spoke of.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

I have yet to see anything say heavier,extra spring being added to comp.Pics dont show it nor does any verbage
-

I can't see any springs in the kit layout either? I can however seehowastifferspring ofthe samethicknesswould work differently thananother spring added to the existing pack would.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

The bottom line, HD has let alot of bikes with bad machining getout on the market, thus they are unwilling or financially unable to correct the mistake. Also, you can bet that theyare aware thatthey have screwed the 07 buyers out of their hardearned money, and so far theyare getting away with murder. However, the best way to get HD into a class action is to wait and see if the 08's have these 07 issues, if they don't then thattells us thatHD knew about the 07 issues, and promptly corrected the 08's, while forgetting about their mistake with the 07's, and ignoring their customer base. If the 08's have the same issues, then it just reaffirms the idea that they are now building junk. In any case HD is in for a wake-up call, what comes around goes around.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 827 Likes on 393 Posts

When I received my 07 Classic last Sept, it clattered atrociously, and I got the same dealer line: it's normal, will quiet with miles, you don't know how to ride, they'll come up with a fix just ride it, etc. I wrote a letter to HD and they sent me back the same "$crew U" form letter others have got. Talked to the clueless wench on the phone that we all have. You can look back at my posts and see my path with this bike. I initially advocated Amsoil Severe Gear and said it quieted it some, and it did during the intial honeymoon period with the thing. I like some of the pro-HD posters in here, wanted this thing to work out. This was new to me, I had no idea HD would do something like this - I've owned their products a long time, and mostly until now it has been a path of improvement year-to-year. I still want to try to keep this thing and not sell it yet. The hard clear reality is that this rattler is the first new HD that I have ever bought that was WORSE than my previous bike. You have to ride the thing like walking on eggshells, carefully avoiding speeds and gears to stay out of that damned racket. These bikes have lost the ability to just enjoyably "putt". For crying out loud, "keep it above 3000 rpms" I keep hearing? Dudes, snap out of it!

I now have over 3000 miles on this thing. As others have stated, it's quiet until it warms up to operating temperature. I have since stepwise upped the tranny fluid viscosity by experiments with various brands and blends to the point where now the bike is slightly harder to shift when cold but shifts normally when warmed up [for what it's worth, my current blend is 26 oz Torco 85W-140 RGO Racing Gear Oil + 6 oz Torco MPZ Assembly Lube]. I would not advocate any more experimentation with fluids, we're chasing a useless path. 1-4 are silky quiet and acceptable. If it were compensator related it would do it in all gears. This is just a forked up 5th & 6th gear tolerance issue. Too loose bore/shaft and/or fouled-up tooth mesh tolerances. That's all it is. Just a ****-poor bad-quality product, a symptom of a company that has become fat and arrogant from profit and is rotting from within. This rear wheel rubber shock absorber won't do a damned thing. Totally worthless fix for an unrelated problem, designed to defer your discontent. Don't buy it.

Last edited by panheadache; 08-10-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!