Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

It comes standard equipment on 08 models but isoffered in the accy catalog for07 owners to buy. The only reason it was put in the Accy cat. was they expect us 07 owners to pay forthis ourselves. Otherwise it would be only found in the hard parts catalog, with a recall notice to upgrade to the 08 improvements.If the moco had planned to do things righttheir would be no need for it to be in the accy catalog.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer

Had they planned on stepping up they would have not offered this new part in the Accy catalog for us to buy. It would have only been foundinthe hard parts catalog andwith a recall offerto upgradethe 07 models.

Sorry for another double post. The first got lost then came back later. Whats up with this new system

Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 PM
JLION
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: biggerjose

Duke;
The 6 speed has to run through an extra shaft. It is not turning at a 1 to 1 when in top gear.

Not true.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

Think about it, If HD built their bikes to strict tolerances we wouldn't have the added costs of all these extra pieces/parts that really shouldn't be part of the equation, and are really only masking deeper problems, that will eventually surface at the owners expense. This $305.00 comp thing is just masking the same problem/s in the 08's that the 07's have already but just more apparent. That says the 08's are really no better built than their predecessors, just masking problems a little better.Also, just got back from talking to 2 of my5 local dealers regarding trade in allowances for the 07's and guess what, they know the clatter wagons are coming, and they are fully prepared for them by offering a really ridicules low ball figure for your 07. Don't beleive me, go see for yourself. Oh, I now mention dealer names in my comments. The two dealers I met with today were Bumpus of Collierville, Tennessee and Bumpus of Jackson, Tennessee, the first being the worst dealer I have ever seen, really a cut throat!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Yep, leave it up to Momma H-D to incorporate cutting-edge 1960's technology like this into their bikes. Honda bikes and Nortons and most others had this exact system back during the Viet Nam era. Most still do. Looks like the MoCo is finally catching up with the times. Actually, I've always wondered why they didn't have this system on their earlier chain-driven models.

At least there is a fix for the '07's now.

Hang in there,

John

Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM
arsin46
Novice

Yea they found a fix for the touring models, but what about us softail owners that have the same problem.
I geuss we are up the creek without a paddle!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
bluep
Advanced

Why wont the fix fit the softail models

Yea they found a fix for the touring models, but what about us softail owners that have the same problem.
I geuss we are up the creek without a paddle!
[/quote]

Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many softail owners pushed the complaint?Some dealers have said they never had a bike with this noise,bet there is even fewer that can say that w/softails.I have yet to hear a softail owner complaint in any magazine over the clatter noise.I agree that this noise crossed model lines-its been stated by guys here-but the lack of fairing,lwrs etc just doesnt let evryone hear it if they honestly have the noise to begin with.The touring guys grouped up and let their displeasure be known.Cant say that for the softail crowd.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM
adroitexdetroiter
Novice

Update: justturned 3k onmy 07 FLHX after driving the **** out of it for 10 days in blistering heat with a ton of weight on the bike. Still no noise. Meantime my buddy's Ultra Clatter is only getting louder.Last night Iwasdrinkingsome beer at a barwith an HDservice writer fromGA after he knocked off work. He owns an 07 FLHXWITH clatter, which is how we got to talking. The owner of his dealership had just returned from the dealer show in Nashville over the weekend. I asked him if the IDS kit was available yet; he said not likely for 4-6 weeks. I asked him if it would solve the clatter issue. He said it would onlyeliminateclatter caused by the compensator since the kit includesa spring pack for it. He said the sprocket in the kitis only todampen surge. I asked him, "are you saying there is more than one cause of clatter?" He said: absolutely!He saidthe other clatter source is caused by the variance intolerances of the gearsets. He said this is why some bikes do it and others don't, and build date is irrelevent since build date only tells when the bike was put together, not when the gearset was put together and which batch of parts was coming through when the gearset was assembled.He told me he was unhappy about thenoises of his FLHX. I asked him if he was considering the Baker kit. He said "too expensive". In so many words he told me he was going to live with it. So much for my tuning theory, huh?

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM
parakiller
Road Captain

all I can say is ... WOW.....so they will need to rebuild all the noisy tranny's? Because thats the only way to tighten up the tolerances....

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!