Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

ORIGINAL: jpooch00

Just registered & joined the forum. I want to thank you all for stopping me from making a $22,000+ mistake. I just cancelledmy intendedpurchase of an '07 Ultra.

Anyway, the quote from AI makes perfect sense. I think that's the root of the problem.

Check out this website for lots more info on other folks bad experiences!

http://www.coolclimbing.com/2007harl...kingclassi.htm

Best wishes to you all,

John
Smart Move! Makes this threadall worth it when we can prevent someone from making a big mistake by buying one of these clatter wagons as manyhave obviously done so, and with great disappointment. Lets keep spreading the word, the only way to get HD's attention is by way of their wallets.Also, I guess we can put to rest theZero Tranny Failure rumor, as some are claiming. Buddy coming from Daytona, tranny disintegrated while in 6th. gear and even cracked the housing. The really good news about it, is it only momentarily locked up, skidding the rear wheel for just a short distance. I'd bet there are a lot more failures than what's being reported, after all how many really know about this site, and there are those who wouldn't admit failure because of their commitment to the HDname.
Do you have any other information on the failed tranny? Your buddy's bike, what model etc...if you can get it what dealer did he bring it to after the failure?

Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Hey rmsurveyors,

That's the thing - when it's in neutral with the clutch engaged (the clutch lever not pulled in) all the gears are still turning. They're just not connected to the output shaft. They generally will continue to turn some even with the lever pulled in when in neutral. That's what that clunk is when you go into 1st gear from neutral.

Regards,

John

Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike is a 2007 Ultra Clatter. With that exception, all I really know is what I wrote before, but I plan to find out more at our next meeting, if not sooner. Just guessing, I'd say the cause of failure is what we've all discovered about these 07's "Poor Design Techniques". I know I would hate to be in a relaxed position, especially with only one hand on the handle bars, and one of these things lock-up, that would be scary.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:43 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kinda mileage on failed trans?Was it a clatter machine?Are you sure it wasnt another dip stick breaking off?Posting a pic would be nice.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:21 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pittguy

What kinda mileage on failed trans?Was it a clatter machine?Are you sure it wasnt another dip stick breaking off?Posting a pic would be nice.
I don't know the mileage, but I would think being an 07 the miles probably were not that much at time of failure. However, knowing the miles may give us some indication of expected lifespan, especially if more failures start popping up around that mileage number. In any case, 07 bikes (if properly built) should not be failing this soon. Yes, it was, and as far as I know, is still an 07Clatter Wagon.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Your buddy's bike skidded when the tranny broke. Terrific. Somebody's gonna get hurt and then Harley is in deep doodoo because they dam* well know about this.

Can anyone spell "class action suit?"

There are enough witnesses to a cover-up and gross negligence just in this thread to bury them.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 PM
cdale976
Road Master

gotta tell ya guys. Baker may fix tranny noise but HD needs to do it not the consumer... my 07 is starting to do a hide and seek game when shifting. twice now it has not engaged 4th gear( sorta got nuetral) no gear at all. called moco bike has been in system at HD since i bought it last july for racket and other issues...... they don't seem concerned in the least cause of extended warranty.. I'll be the first to take action should this bike fail at only 13,000 mi.

i think it is starting to come apart but nothin will be done apparently by moco untill it does
i intend to let HD see my discontent at the york plant this summer duringGettysburg bike week.
Maybe those of you who are going should do the same. obviously the only thing that matters to HD is numbers so maybe it's time they saw some negative ones..

Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cdale976

gotta tell ya guys. Baker may fix tranny noise but HD needs to do it not the consumer... my 07 is starting to do a hide and seek game when shifting. twice now it has not engaged 4th gear( sorta got nuetral) no gear at all. called moco bike has been in system at HD since i bought it last july for racket and other issues...... they don't seem concerned in the least cause of extended warranty.. I'll be the first to take action should this bike fail at only 13,000 mi.

i think it is starting to come apart but nothin will be done apparently by moco untill it does
i intend to let HD see my discontent at the york plant this summer duringGettysburg bike week.
Maybe those of you who are going should do the same. obviously the only thing that matters to HD is numbers so maybe it's time they saw some negative ones..
I've had that experience a few times lately, where the shifter goes past where it normally stops at, feels really weird likes there's no stopping point,but I don't know what it is that's causing it.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I have an 07 Street Glide and I haven't noticed this yet.,,of course I come from riding an XL1200 so maybe It's less noticable compared to my prior ride.

It does seem like a lot of these complaints come from new members here - I did some research before I bought my 07 with the 6 speed and many of the long term members here didn't think it was anything other than normal sound given the design.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:13 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Wow, I have an 07 Street Glide and I haven't noticed this yet.,,of course I come from riding an XL1200 so maybe It's less noticable compared to my prior ride.

It does seem like a lot of these complaints come from new members here - I did some research before I bought my 07 with the 6 speed and many of the long term members here didn't think it was anything other than normal sound given the design.
Not so, the problem extends further than this forum, and the noise/s experienced with these 07's, particularly the tour models, is NOT normal, by any means. I don't think anyone wanted to spend $20,000.00 + for a machine that sounds like rocks coming thru the gas tank, after all the Ultra Classic, now the Ultra Clatter is Hd's flagship bike. Their very add is, "smoother quieter ride" and that's the farthest thing from the truth. Yes, Harleys make noise, but there are the right noises they should make,and thewrong noises "Box of Rocks" they shouldn't make. If the clatter noise that the 07's are making is normal, I say normal according to who, (MOCO) and why don't they all do it? I say if we have an option for the Clatter, then I'll decline the option, and prefer a normal running bike. Any screw-up a manufacture makes can be claimed normal, generally by the manufacture themselves. Finally, if something is normal, then the creator of the something designed it that way, and therefore they should all be doing it, in this case the clatter.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!