Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: barkster99

Is fixing this yourself a victory for HD? Won't even speculate on that one. I know that I've spend a lot more on chrome and it hasn't brought me near as much pleasure as getting rid of this clatter would.

This could be a victory for Victory...We'll see!!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:55 PM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will moding the tranny void the motor warranty?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
jeepster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walmart still hadseveral copies today of the august american iron. According to what Iunderstand in the article, its the shift dogs that are the biggest cause of the clatter. It stated that their is to much space where they engage and theyrock backand forthcausing the primary chain to jump, mostly when not under a load.5th gear also turns when not engaged as well as having to much gear lash so u will still hearracket in 6th if the rpms arearound 2500. Heres a quote from the article:
"The noisier fith spur gears are dragged along, rattling away for the ride when the trans is shifted into the quieter helical 6th gear"

Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Just registered & joined the forum. I want to thank you all for stopping me from making a $22,000+ mistake. I just cancelledmy intendedpurchase of an '07 Ultra.

Anyway, the quote from AI makes perfect sense. I think that's the root of the problem.

Check out this website for lots more info on other folks bad experiences!

http://www.coolclimbing.com/2007harl...kingclassi.htm

Best wishes to you all,

John

Old 06-28-2007, 12:22 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ditto. This thread stopped me in my tracks. I was all set. Thought I just had to have the latest...

Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jpooch00

Just registered & joined the forum. I want to thank you all for stopping me from making a $22,000+ mistake. I just cancelledmy intendedpurchase of an '07 Ultra.

Anyway, the quote from AI makes perfect sense. I think that's the root of the problem.

Check out this website for lots more info on other folks bad experiences!

http://www.coolclimbing.com/2007harl...kingclassi.htm

Best wishes to you all,

John
Smart Move! Makes this threadall worth it when we can prevent someone from making a big mistake by buying one of these clatter wagons as manyhave obviously done so, and with great disappointment. Lets keep spreading the word, the only way to get HD's attention is by way of their wallets.Also, I guess we can put to rest theZero Tranny Failure rumor, as some are claiming. Buddy coming from Daytona, tranny disintegrated while in 6th. gear and even cracked the housing. The really good news about it, is it only momentarily locked up, skidding the rear wheel for just a short distance. I'd bet there are a lot more failures than what's being reported, after all how many really know about this site, and there are those who wouldn't admit failure because of their commitment to the HDname.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Thank God he wasn't hurt!

I think the MoCo has shot itself in the foot bigtime (double barrel 12 gauge) this time by just letting its loyal riders/customers test their under-engineered first-year junk. I have been talking to different people about these issues andI know that I've cost H-D at least two '07 sales. It's amazing to me that they can produce such cosmetically beautiful machines and then blow it by adding such totally unnecessary equipment like this.

If ya think about it, every "improvement" they've ever introduced has turned into a disaster in the first model year. At least I can't recall any that haven't.

Hang in there, y'all,

John

Old 06-28-2007, 11:54 AM
randyv1
Advanced

I have been following this issue for the last year and did read theAmerican Iron articles. The article in the August edition as well as the previous Editions are very long. To sayA few diagrams/photos and about a 1000 less words would have explained the issue much better would be an understatement.
In my 01 shop manual the transmission sectionhas a power flow diagram of each gear. If this is also in the 2007 manuals could someone post the diagram here? A comparison of the two will explain allot and help when and if you do read the article.
What I believe he said inthe article is that as the fifth spur cut gearis always engaged ( but not under load) you will hear some noise from it in each gear.Also, as mentionedin the above post the "shifter dogs" (which are incorporated into the gears in the5 speeds) may have excessive slop in the engagement of the gears which may be causing or adding to the rattling sound.
The helical cut gears do put a fair amount of side load on the shafts and bearings and as Baker states is a week point of the trans and maybe why Harley used a spur gear for the drive gear (Fifth).Apparently Baker changes the fifth spur gear to helical and reverses the helical engagement to offset the side loads from the other helical gears but I am not sure why this is needed if they also beefed up the bearings and bearing door. As the helical gears by nature have less "slop" the rattling between the gears and between the gears and shafts will be reduced. American Iron hinted there maybe some reliability problems with the 2007 transmission butreally did not come out and say what that maybe. They did state the noise issue would have to be addressed.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:25 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I didn't hear anything about the clatter noise coming from the compensator. I still say that most are bundling or confusing that 5th. gear chatter with the clatter noise, which is really the one that is especially loud, and driving people nuts. If the trans is a constant mesh design (all gears turning) what about the same identical noise occurring evenwhen thetranny is in neutral, and NO gears are turning. I still haven't heard anyone address that side of it. All I keep hearing about is the 5th. gear chatter noise, which to nothing compared to that obnoxious clatter noise coming from the primary.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!