Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Just came to mind. Since HD is reportedly NOT documenting their customers complaints, especially those regarding the 07 issues, I recommend you do what I have been doing and that is to carry someone with you (as a witness) when you go to your dealer to substantiate yourclaim to the dealer. After all, if HD wants to deny you ever reported the problem that would be easy done without a witness, and no paper trail,especially if any of these issues results with failure after warranty expiration, or worse yet, life or limb. Make sure you record the date and time, as well as the persons name that was with you when you reported the problem to the dealer, as well as any contacts with MOCO that may be relevant. You can bet if something serious derives out of this MOCO is going to try and weasel out of it, just like they have been doing all along.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zzmellio,
I'm with you, I think the clatter from the primary is mostly being caused by the driveline ratio. They need to be geared so you can stick it in 6th gear a little earlier. I did some studying on the Baker site. They have a nice gear ratio calculator. The compensator sprocket on our bikesis 34 tooth and the clutch sprocket is 46 tooth, these, both in the primary.The previous years with 5 speeds were 25 comp and 36 clutch. Now as for the rear belt sprockets,our 07's have 32trans and 66 wheel sprocket. I found out that the 06 Dyna's ran the same as our07's except for the rear wheel sprocket being a 68 tooth. The 70 tooth has been the normal for years and years with the 5 speeds. Thetransmission has had the 32 for many years as well. So the 06 touring models had 25-36 primary and 32-70 belt. The 07's have 34-46 primary and 32-66 belt. Heres the interesting thing the 06 6 speed dynas have the same primary and transmission sprockets as our 07's but they have a 68 tooth rear wheel belt pulley.
Seems like we would all be much better off if we had a 70 tooth rearwheelpulley, it would raise rpms about 200 and would drop mph about 5mphat each rpm level that we are currently at.
Hince lugging should be a lot less!! And less work for the engineat lower rpms.
(Each tooth on the rear wheel pulley makes approx. a 50 rpm change)

I think they just got the gear ratio wrong on the 07 touring bikes. I also think thats why the customer service folks, the regional reps and the factory reps out at function booths are acting the way they are. They got the gear ratio wrong and they want us to just ride at higher rpms and quit lugging the bikes,that "they" built made to lug, for whatever emmission orwhatever otherreasons.
Heck mine runs 83-84 miles per hour at 3000 rpmsin 6th Whats up with that?? How about a ratio that would make it run 77-78 at 3000rpms. Thats what I'm talking about!!!!!!

My 03 road king runsaround 3000 @ 70mph Whythe need for a14 mph gear ratio gain?

Old 06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I think I am going to do is put in a 30 tooth sprocket. This will raise the rpms. Im going to do the fix in the primary. If you change it at the pulley, you'll have to get Bakers speedo recal. Just changing the front sprocket will not effect the speed sensor. It will only make more rpms. Plus its cheaper. 280.00 for the sprocket and new chain. Takes about 1.5 hours if you some what know your way around a bike.

Here are some post from another forum.
[align=center]

dirtrace95

vbmenu_register("postmenu_1147071", true);

Seasoned Rider

30 tooth

[hr]
[/align]I dropped from a 32 down to a 30 tooth from belt pulley. Its a nice change and I can now use all 6 gears on the road. Bike still has great hwy speed without high revs in 6th gear. I think this is a milder change in ratios ??? [/align][align=center]

claydbal

vbmenu_register("postmenu_1151863", true);

IronButt

Quote:

Originally Posted by HARLEYMANIAC
Hi,

Just that i understand

if i want to gear down a bit my bike to be able to use
my 6 speed on lower speeds
why not change the transmition sprocket or real weel
sprocket ?

why is it better to change the sprocket in the primary ?

Thanks

Fred

1. its easier
2.its cheaper
3. no need to calibrate speedo[/align]

Old 06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: zzmellio

What I think I am going to do is put in a 30 tooth sprocket. This will raise the rpms. Im going to do the fix in the primary. If you change it at the pulley, you'll have to get Bakers speedo recal. Just changing the front sprocket will not effect the speed sensor. It will only make more rpms. Plus its cheaper. 280.00 for the sprocket and new chain. Takes about 1.5 hours if you some what know your way around a bike.
ZZ
Which sprocket are you thinking of using, the one from evolution or another one?

Got a link?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer

I would like to also do the same as you. Except I would like to find a manufacture that has a 32 front comp sprocket. I like you, would rather change the primary ratio sothe speedometer isn't affected and so the thing doesn,t have to be taken apart so much. I'd rather pull the primary cover and chain than the whole dang primary assy.
According to the Baker ratio calculator the 32 would give youabout a 200 rpm increase and a 5-6 mph decrease. I'm afraid the 30 would be to much for me! The 30 may put you all the way back to wherea 5 speedis. About 70-72 mph @ 3000rpms. This might make all you other gears seem way to close together. But you will have some more powerful torque. Better have a strongbackrest!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
356rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of anyone making a smaller engine comp sprocket/chain for the '07 yet. If someone else does, I'd love to hear about it. I specifically asked Baker and they said they have stuff in progress, but they only offer the smaller trans pulley right now. If you change the trans pulley, the cost is more than you think by the time you add the pulley, a new smaller drive belt from HD, speedo compensator from Baker and any labor. I'm waiting another month or so for the new models to see if HD has made some changes in this area so retro-fit parts might be available. I'd be surprised if they didn't

I love my Ultra but I'm going to love it MUCH more when I get back some low end torque by correcting what I think is an excessive primary/final drive gearing change on the 07s.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:07 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

What's thereasoning in having 6 gears to start with? Could it be torun at higher speeds with less RPM to conserve fuel? Gearing the bike lower just defeats the purpose of the 6th. gear, so you might as well just go back to a 5 speed tranny. I think there is going to be a lot of disappointed people spending their moneywith little or no results. It may help with the torque but I doubt the clatter will be gone, since the clatter is NOT caused by lugging. Mine does it in all gears as well as neutral, and I can't see how you canlug the engine especially in the lower gears, including 1st, where mine clatters also evenwith all that low endtorque. I haven't heard of anyone who has said they had the F6F upgrade and sprocket change that has truly confirmed that the problems are remedied, with collectivelyNO more primary clatter, no more tranny noise and NO more vibrations or clutch walk.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer

What we need is in between where the 5 speeds are and where the 6 speeds are. Not a 14 mph difference @ 3000 rpms. As for the lugging with the ratios as bad as they are its quite possible it might be lugging but at the MoCo's fault not ours. Nomotor of any kind should lug around 2000 rpms. And if in deed they are then the gearing is all wrong.

rmsurverys,If yours is clattering in neutral than I bet your compensating sprocket has loosened up from its correct torque or tightness.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rare100thHD

What we need is in between where the 5 speeds are and where the 6 speeds are. Not a 14 mph difference @ 3000 rpms. As for the lugging with the ratios as bad as they are its quite possible it might be lugging but at the MoCo's fault not ours. Nomotor of any kind should lug around 2000 rpms. And if in deed they are then the gearing is all wrong.

rmsurverys,If yours is clattering in neutral than I bet your compensating sprocket has loosened up from its correct torque or tightness.
Quite possible about the compensator being loose, but MOCO won't let the dealer remove the primary cover to find out, says hands off!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
barkster99
Tourer

I'm not buying into this rpm thing. Right now my 5th gear clatter is so bad, I'm shifting into 6th early (60 mph - and less) just to get rid of it. So how's gearing this thing lower going to address that??? Instead of getting bad clatter from 50-65 and shifting to make it go away - I'll get it from 40-55 and shift to make it go away.

I'm missing something.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!