Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 AM
cycleboy1450
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

07 RoadKing Custom with5000 miles and6th gear clatter is getting worse as I put more miles on. I amusing Amsoil 75-90 in trans. Whine in 5th. 6th gear after the bike it warmed up the clatter is TERRIBLE!!!!! I want my old bike back!!! Harley needs to do something for the 07 folks. I can't believe the money I spent for this clatter machine.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

We all need to keep after MOCO about these issues, i.e. phone calls, emails, letters, don't let them think thatwe have given-up or haveforgotten about this. Also,keep spreading the word anyway you canto keep others from buying this junk. An easy and effective way to get the word out isto run an add inyour local newspaper, especially nearyour closest dealer, telling your experience with these 07's and MOCO. I have 6 dealers around me that will be reading about these 07's, and the way MOCO has treated their customers.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 AM
cubcake1
Tourer

Heavier fluids have helped, I also installed a tach to get an idea where my rpms's are.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:09 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

RPM's have nothing to do with the clatter, mine clatters even in neutral. As for the 5th. gear whine, so calleddue to the gear design, we can now throw that theory out the window.Starting at10,000 miles mine is now making the 5th. gearwhine in every gear, all gears now have the samewhine that the 5th. gear has had since the bike was new. There is NO difference in the transmission whine, no matter which gear I'm in or what RPM I am running at. Let's see how MOCO explainsthat away.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

RPM's have nothing to do with the clatter, mine clatters even in neutral. As for the 5th. gear whine, so called due to the gear design, we can now throw that theory out the window. Starting at 10,000 miles mine is now making the 5th. gear whine in every gear, all gears now have the same whine that the 5th. gear has had since the bike was new. There is NO difference in the transmission whine, no matter which gear I'm in or what RPM I am running at. Let's see how MOCO explains that away.
Survey,

Interesting that you observed this (5th gear whine in other gears). Mine has 7000 miles on the odometer. At about the 5000 mile mark I've observed the same thing. I know the trans is constant mesh. Does that explain it? What's this all about?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I have NO idea why we are now getting the 5th. gear noise in all gears. It's generally been accepted that the 5th. gear would be or isnoisy due to the type of 5th. gear design, and that has never really bothered me. However, now the same noise is present in all gears, and is getting louder with mile, so how does MOCO explain that one. To me sounds likebeginning trannyfailure. Make no mistake, this tranny noise has nothing to do with the clatter noise, every one is hearing.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Hollywood
Banned

I'm curiousto see if they sneak in a fix on the 08's for both the clatter and the gear noise. Last I spoke with Cindy from the moco she stated that there were no plans for any changes.We'll see I don't trust them since they've lied to me before.

I'm also starting to suspect thatall that talk about eliminating certain models in 08 is just a marketingtrick to sell 07 models that haven't moved. This is the first time that I’m aware of that Harley has let out of the bag what’s happening in 08.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Latest email from Baker 2007 Tranny problem!

"Nate Zarnosky" <natez@bakerdrivetrain.com>

To:
"Matt" <m_elliott@
Subject:
RE: f6f
Date:
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:41:24 AM

Matt,

“chatter and Clatter” very grey descriptions of a noise, I feel your pain purchasing a new bike then having to make the decision to purchase more parts to make it they way you feel it should have been, it is a difficult choice to make. Here is the deal the strait cut gears(spur gear) in 5th has got a lot of back lash, it does create some of the clatter or chatter , there is also an un-necessary amount of separation in the shift collars or rings, this gives the bike a smooth shift but creates some of the clatter. When we designed these replacement gears we closed the gap up between the “shift dogs” which engage the gears to the shift collars which select the gears in the tranny. This also removed some more clatter and chatter. The next issue with the clatter and chatter was the Torque spike which is created buy running the bikes extremely lean to meet emissions, that is taken care of buy changing the pipes as well as air filter and a re-map which most guys did on the early ’07, the later ’07 I have been told already have the re-map and this problem is of lesser issue. We have been seeing a lot of guys complain about the bike lugging in all gears, so we offer a 30 and 31 tooth final drive pulley. This lowers the gear ratio across the board on the bike and brings the entire range of the transmission into a much more usable range.
This also makes the bike much less prone to “lug” which is what is creating a lot of the clattering. There is to ways to avoid the lugging… either don’t “lug the bike which means run it at a higher speed, the bike has 6 gears and they need to be operated at a proper RPM or lower the gear ratio, which you can still lug the bike buy shifting pre-maturely. At any rate if you do the F6F it will eliminate 98% of the issues you and your fellow ’07 alumni are experiencing.

p.s. Matt I hope this makes sense there is a full evening’s dinner conversation available on gear contact ratio’s, dog separations, shift sytems, proper engine operating RPM, torque spike, auto chain tensioners, engine compensators, etc. these things are all compiling issues that have a very fine line between to much and to little. I can speek for our ’07 it is clatter, clunk, wine, and clutch walk free.

[hr]

[/align]From: Matt [mailto:m_elliott@
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:25 PM
To: Nate Zarnosky
Subject: RE: f6f
[/align]
Nate,

[font=arial][color=navy][size=2]Can you explain something to me? I have been reading (maybe too much) about the probable causes of all the chatter and clatter. I agree that the whine is the straight cut gears on 5th, but I have been reading that the clatter is also the 5th straight cut gear? As for the chatter, I have been reading that it is the compensator loading and unloading? Have you guys at Baker found this to be true? If at all possible, please provide Bakers

Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats good info,maybe HD should buy a kit and try it out.Or Baker get one of these noisey bikes and see if it fixes one of these known racket makers.Bet he would sell more overnight.I got one of their authorized installers very close to me.Maybe Baker would like to put his design to the test.I would pay the labor and for complete kit if it would work.Throwing a grand plus and still having this noise is not an option.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

I'm totally lost on all of this. We keep talking about the 5th. gear whine or chatter, as if this is the whole problem with theses 07's, when it is NOT. The clatter noise is coming from the primary and willclatter in all gearsas well as when inneutral, therefore, that rules out the noise coming from the 5th. gear as cause for the clatter. The 5th. gear chatter we are all familiar with is reportedly caused by the 5th. gear design and is supposed to be limited to the 5th. gear only. However, I among others have found that that the 5th. gear chatter, after some miles, is now occurring in all the gears, not just 5th. gear. As for all this lugging stuff, you have to really get down in the RPM's to lug these things to where they clatter, and I don't know anyone running under the recommended shift and RPM ranges.If the tranny is so wrong built, then it will eventually come apart, most likely soon,then MOCO will be exposed for the rip-offsthat we know theyare and will finally have to fix these things, and at their expense. They can only run and hide for so long. If MOCO intends on selling the same old garbage in 08 as they have in 07, then they are more stupid than we all thought.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!