Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:43 AM
UTMINER
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

New to themy crotch is cookingon my '07 touring model discussion (my wife seriously thinks I'm going to go sterile...) Can anyone out there confirm thatinstalling a premium oil cooler kit actually lowers the oil temp 40-60 degrees?

Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cubcake1

So where can I get this f6f thing, how much is it, and how much will it cost to install on my bike?
$899.00 for th kit itself, then what ever cost of labor if you can't do it yourself. The kit can be purchased from Baker Drive train. Keep in mind that this supposedly remedies the 5th. gear whine only, and NOT the clatter noise, which is a different noise, that everyone is complaining about.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:12 PM
adroitexdetroiter
Novice

It appears that Nate from Baker is actually claiming that the F6F cures both whineAND clatter. Since most of us can live with the whine typical of past H-D trannies, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has the dreaded clatter and resolved it with the Baker kit. Afterlooking atBaker's website I'm thinking about getting the kit regardless. The Baker to H-D parts comparison is very compelling.

UTMINER: I have the dipstick with the digital temp gauge andthe "premium" oil cooler. My bike reads only 35 degrees less than abuddy's bone stock UltraClatter.Since heis running a completely stock motor (with S/E mufflers) I can't be sure how much his lean A/F mix contributes to his higher oil temp. We swap bikes and I notice that while mine is hot, his is a SCORCHER. Beware, my $135 dipstick has been stolen once already!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:37 PM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to call Baker next week and talk to their tech and try to really dig in a find the cause of the chattr/clatter. I dont want to spend $900+labor just have it still chatter and clatter. I want good proof that this will "FIX IT". I agree, I dont think the noise is the compensator. If it was, it would be doing it in other gears. My deductive reasoning is if the main shaft is walking, the chatter/clatter is the shaft beating on the door. It wont do it when in 2,3,4 and 6th due to the faxct the the gears are cut diffrent and the force is put on the door so the shaft wont walk.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:40 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

For those of you who are defending the MoCo:
If I pay a premium price for a product, I expect a premium product. We could all buy bikes for $10,000.00 dollars lessthat dont rattle.
Ditto.

Well, if it makes any of you feel better, I won't be buying one of these bikes just due to this thread. I'll stick with my TC88, and by the way, 5 speed EVOs are looking better all the time. I'll keep my '96 Wide Glide too.

At first I thought everyone would just "have to have" this new 96/6speed thing. I was planning on getting one.

Maybe this partly explains why MoCo's sales are off 20%?

Old 06-09-2007, 05:15 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: zzmellio

Im going to call Baker next week and talk to their tech and try to really dig in a find the cause of the chattr/clatter. I dont want to spend $900+labor just have it still chatter and clatter. I want good proof that this will "FIX IT". I agree, I dont think the noise is the compensator. If it was, it would be doing it in other gears. My deductive reasoning is if the main shaft is walking, the chatter/clatter is the shaft beating on the door. It wont do it when in 2,3,4 and 6th due to the faxct the the gears are cut diffrent and the force is put on the door so the shaft wont walk.
My 07 Ultra Clatter, clatters in all gears as well as inneutral, so(IF) Iwas going for the Baker 6F6 I would require moreproof and a guarantee that the kit would resolve the problem. However, that said, Harley should have to pick up the tab on these 07's, they know they're not right, and they know a lot of their customers are pi$$ed over the clatter and whine issues, but they continue to hide out, avoiding the issue all together. I keep hearing people putting all this extra money in these so-calledclatter remediesand MOCO can't even talk about it, much less foot the bill. Like I said before what ever is causing the clatter in this bikes is serious and expensive business to repair. That is why MOCO is NOT fixing them, and has chosen the run and hide attitude. But, what comes around goes around, MOCO will have to learn the hard way by loosing much of their customer base.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: UTMINER

New to themy crotch is cookingon my '07 touring model discussion (my wife seriously thinks I'm going to go sterile...) Can anyone out there confirm thatinstalling a premium oil cooler kit actually lowers the oil temp 40-60 degrees?
One way and probably the best way toreduce the heat is the Stage I upgrade. Of course an oil coolerwill cool things down a bit. Heat shields will help as well.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 PM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of you would do the Baker F6F fix if it would remedy all the noise? Would it be worth risking your presious HD warranty? It seems to me, my warranty isnt worth a S**T already.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can testify that a PowercommanderIII will cool it down a lot.
My 07 streetglide is now not anyhotter than my 03 FLHR withthe Factory stage 1 download. its quite possible the new motor is maybe even a little cooler then the 03
Richen up your fuel with something V&H fuel pac.; Cobra fi 2000; powercommander; or Screamin eagle race tuner.Youll be plenty happy. Of course the oil cooler will also help even better along with the fuel changes.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:26 PM
RCR
Intermediate

I would do it if it would fix ALL the noise , that includes the clatter mine makes in 6th gear. We would loose the HD warranty on the transmission but I thinkBaker would probably have a warranty

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!