Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

I realize the MOCO tested on the '06 Dyna's, but remember, the '06 had the 88 motor, the '07s the 96. You've got to retest the transmission again to make sure it stands up to the new configuration/torque/horsepower of the new motor.

Any testing done on the '06 Dyna shows the tranny is up to one application which means it works and can handle that application. I seem to remember some early reports of some noise in the '06 Dyna's btw. The work on the '06 Dyna does not mean that the power of the 96 CI, coming in at a slightly different angle or RPM, will not cause the noises (damage?) that have been reported.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
barkster99
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth (and this isn't going to provide much comfort)...

I called HD Customer Service yesterday. They're still dancing like crazy when asked point blank what, if anything, they're going to do. "They're looking into it. They can reproduce it in some bikes but not all. Don't think it's transmission. Don't lug it. You have a 2 year warranty; get out there and enjoy it. Blah, blah, blah..." But they're very careful not to say "We admit that there's a problem and you can expect a remedy".

Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would strongly suggest anyone wanting a '07 touring wait! They are in no hurry to try fix this transmission problem. If you have a good scoot just wait until they find what they screwed up on these bike and see if they fix them or just stick us with the piles.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Garider01
6th Gear

Had an appointment with the local dealership this Saturday,They are going to give me a trade in value for my 01 fatboy,I was interested in purchasing a 07 Electra glide Classic.they had the color that I wanted and was suppose to arrive at the dealership in November,But after reading the problems that 07 owners are facing,and the non responsesivness they are recieving about these issues, I think I will hold off.I have built quite a few manual transmissions in my day and understand why you would put a straight tooth gear for 1st gear this is your load bearing gear( moves the weight from a dead stop), Once the bike is moving I dont really see the need for a straight gear in 5th in my opinion. They should have installed a helical gear for 5th for alot smoother operation,but then I,m not an engineer. I think I,ll call my local Service Dept. and see what they have to say about the NEW and IMPROVED whinning and clanking noise features that you will purchase for 20K+.I am new this forum and thank you all for opening my eyes.Hopefully H-D will not be to full of themselves to remember who brought them to the level of success they are enjoying today

Old 09-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the "rocks in a can" noise could you please post your bikes build date on this forum. https://www.hdforums.com/m_769507/tm.htm

Thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too just spoke w/customer service after waiting 20 mins to speak w/someone.First off this morning I spoke to dealer service person and they told me the noise is normal.Man that sold bike to me says its BS.Bring it in and we will look it over.I left there again knowing no more than when I walked in the door.Wasted my time.Customer service said I had to have dealership look at bike and that each complaint is on an individual basis.I asked her if the factory knew of this problem w/the touring models and she danced around the question.I also asked for the local area reps number and she refused,asked to speak to someone there in the know and she said I had to take it to the dealer first and rep would be called in if need be.Right now my bike wont do it all the time and I dont want it being the testing ground that harley shouldve done in the first place.Yes I lost my cool and used some wording that I should not have.But they now have my vin #,name,and know Im not going to take any **** off them.I told her that I will take my bike back at 1000 mile check or on a flat bed when it explodes.There is a great cover up taking place here folks.Anyone thinking of a 07 tourer better reconsider.All they want is your money,use your new model to work the bugs out,keep all bad on the hush hush.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:43 PM
RoadGlide07
Advanced

I had talked to customer service prior to 1K service and she suggested that I have the mechanic test drive it when I brought it in so they could document the problem.

I took it in to the dealer for the 1K service and mentioned the tranny noise (rocks in can). I asked them to test drive it before and after the service. They said they already know what it is and HD says its normal but they would test drive it anyway. They noted on the work order "NOISE IN TRANNY CONSISTENT W/OTHERS HEARD".

After the service I called customer service back again and told her the results of the 1K service and test drive. I asked her how HD was going to fix this and she told me that they are aware of the issue but it is not yet a "problem". They have people working on it but haven't found the cause.

The noise didn't change as a result of the service and hasn't changed 600 miles since.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
geraldtf
Advanced

have a 07 also the noise[:@] and the 7 year warrenty ,if 08s come out without this problem , hey i will just burn that transmission up and get me a new one , there are way to get thing fixed!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM
geraldtf
Advanced

been on the phone for half an hour telling the rep the same thing, they said it --RIGHT AND TIGHT -RIDE IT ! let me see what it can take , going to run the wheels off of it[:@]

Old 09-13-2006, 06:08 PM
geraldtf
Advanced

one more way to get things done , take it to your local T. V. station and show them the NEW AND IMPROVED H-D and it also come with noise free of charge, so if you want a bike that sounds like it will blow up , GO BUY A HARLEY and i am D**M mad that people tell me it is not there ,YOU DON'T HAVE MY B I K E !!!!!

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!