Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:55 PM
awmk
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

I have an 07 Fatboy with the same 5th gear problem. Almost sounds like a piston slap in 5th gear. I don't expect much out of Harley. I still remember the bearing problem on 1999. They would fix the bearings if they broke, but would do nothing to prevent them from breaking. Now you know why Willie G lives in a mansion.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Isnt it funny how most people reading this thread-if you click on their name at the top of page-have their identity hidden?
And your point is.....?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

I would assume the MOCO has reviewed their current driveline engineering principles. If those principles are sound, they're going to stand behind them. That said, the same principles may not address noise, which is a valid customer issue. They'll improve on this. Just give them time. I still have not heard of any catastrophic failures. Has anyone? No, I don't work for the MOCO. I just own one of their product offerings. It's still the best Harley I've ever owned. Would I buy another? I don't know. I would strongly consider another brand. I do that anyway, regardless of what I buy. That, my friends, is why I know they'll eliminate this issue. It's too competitive out there! Corporate profits hang in the balance.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ironoxide

I would assume the MOCO has reviewed their current driveline engineering principles. If those principles are sound, they're going to stand behind them. That said, the same principles may not address noise, which is a valid customer issue. They'll improve on this. Just give them time. I still have not heard of any catastrophic failures. Has anyone? No, I don't work for the MOCO. I just own one of their product offerings. It's still the best Harley I've ever owned. Would I buy another? I don't know. I would strongly consider another brand. I do that anyway, regardless of what I buy. That, my friends, is why I know they'll eliminate this issue. It's too competitive out there! Corporate profits hang in the balance.
Massive amounts of failure/s probably won't happen until warranty is out. Typically, most people I know, don't put a lot of miles of their bikes, within the two year warranty time frame, which is what MOCO is probably counting on to bail them out of this mess.Also, MOCO probably thought that their customers would except the noisy Clatter Wagons, just because of the Harley name/image and some attest to that just as long as they can own/ride a Harley. However, I think it's starting to sink in that they (HD) has really pissed-off their customer base this time,and profits are showing it. I don't really think MOCO designed or planned this clatter thing. It was first thought that this was just a few with the clatter problem, but this has become a really broad problem, and Class-Action is just waiting in the wing. Something doesn't haft to break or completely fail to start aclass action, some thing can be doing something (clattering) that other same models don't do (no clatter) and be grounds for suit, if the manufacture doesn't correct it. For example, if MOCO claims the clatter is normal, then why don't all of them do it will come in to play in a court of law. Saying something is normal istypically a tactic used by manufactures to cover up a manufactures defect.In the long run this will come back and biteMOCO. The 5 th. gear, transmission thing may be argued, but the clatter noise, which gets worse with mileage (and all don't do it), will be the snake that bites them. People will eventually get tired of MOCO's run-a-round and band together to stop their rip-off tactics.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 AM
arsin46
Novice

I picked the bike up Saturday evening and rode only about 200 mi. Sunday. The noise has changed after the trans bearings were changed but it is still there after it gets hot (after about 30 mi). The noise is only there when accelerating from 45 mph in 5th gear. The 4th gear noise is gone. Before it would rattle in 5thwhen running a steady speed or accelerating. Now it only does it while accelerating. I am going to contact the General Manager at the local dealer and talk to him about this. Ive been traveling on business this week and havent had the chance to ride, but when I get more miles I will update this again. I suspect the same will happen after anothe 1500 mi. or so.I am still traveling and dont have the paper work for the repair with me so I cant tell you specifically what tranny parts were replaced.

For those of you who are defending the MoCo:
If I pay a premium price for a product, I expect a premium product. We could all buy bikes for $10,000.00 dollars lessthat dont rattle.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:55 AM
zzmellio
Tourer

I bet Harley will lose alot of customers to the Metric market.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM
bluep
Advanced

[quote]ORIGINAL: shtfaced

I have a new Road Glide with about 1600 miles on it now. Have had it for about 5 weeks, ( New in early May of 07).
No unusual noises at all! Trans is a little more noisey in 5th than bikes past, and a little more whine when down shifting in 1st, but nothing to be concerned about.
I have straight 50 BellRay in the trans, and syn in the motor(for now).
Bike has a ThunderMax with Auto Tune, Reinhart True Duals, and the S+S single intake runner system.
My Bike runs great, good power for a 96", nothing like my 96" S+S, but prety good, no complaints. Bike runs cool due to the map and timming changes from the ThunderMax.
I'm very happy with the bike so far, and have done a road trip of about 700 miles with it. Not having the noise troubles with the drive line like lot's of other people.
I certainly belive there are problems with the drive lines on the 07 bikes, and have heard it fronm HD tech friends of mine, but I just want to state that I have a bike with no problems as of yet.
Maybe it's the heat of the o2 system bikes that is a part of it.
I knew they were hot running bikes before I bought this one, so I did the mods to it on the first day, and have had none of the headaches that many are dealing with.
Engine heat should not be effecting the drive line though.
Lots of guys have upped twin cam 88's to 96" (bore mods, not stroke like the new 07's) and did not change compensating sprokets, and had no problems, so I have to wonder if the primary drive noise is from the compensating sproket, and engine heat should not make a tranny loud.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If you guys would pay attention to what this man is stating and tune your bikes as he did ,I think you'd fix your problems.
Harley cant do this and meet the EPA.
I been stating for months that its the comp sprocket makeing the noise trying to smooth out the galloping motor.
I dont think the trans has anything to do with the CLATTER.
I have several friends that have 07 ultras and modified as shtfaced has and no clatter and love there bikes

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: bluep

ORIGINAL: shtfaced

I have a new Road Glide with about 1600 miles on it now. Have had it for about 5 weeks, ( New in early May of 07).
No unusual noises at all! Trans is a little more noisey in 5th than bikes past, and a little more whine when down shifting in 1st, but nothing to be concerned about.
I have straight 50 BellRay in the trans, and syn in the motor(for now).
Bike has a ThunderMax with Auto Tune, Reinhart True Duals, and the S+S single intake runner system.
My Bike runs great, good power for a 96", nothing like my 96" S+S, but prety good, no complaints. Bike runs cool due to the map and timming changes from the ThunderMax.
I'm very happy with the bike so far, and have done a road trip of about 700 miles with it. Not having the noise troubles with the drive line like lot's of other people.
I certainly belive there are problems with the drive lines on the 07 bikes, and have heard it fronm HD tech friends of mine, but I just want to state that I have a bike with no problems as of yet.
Maybe it's the heat of the o2 system bikes that is a part of it.
I knew they were hot running bikes before I bought this one, so I did the mods to it on the first day, and have had none of the headaches that many are dealing with.
Engine heat should not be effecting the drive line though.
Lots of guys have upped twin cam 88's to 96" (bore mods, not stroke like the new 07's) and did not change compensating sprokets, and had no problems, so I have to wonder if the primary drive noise is from the compensating sproket, and engine heat should not make a tranny loud.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

If you guys would pay attention to what this man is stating and tune your bikes as he did ,I think you'd fix your problems.
Harley cant do this and meet the EPA.
I been stating for months that its the comp sprocket makeing the noise trying to smooth out the galloping motor.
I dont think the trans has anything to do with the CLATTER.
I have several friends that have 07 ultras and modified as shtfaced has and no clatter and love there bikes
If that's the case, then why didn't the 06's have the clatter? Same EPA specs on them and NO clatter, the comp and manual chain tensioner were doing their job correctly on an engine, that was NOT fine tuned. I don't doubt finetuning theengine and changing exhaust,to a tune of $1,500.00 or so, will make things better, but I think the culprit is the auto chain tensioner not doing it's job, that's really the big differencebetween the 06' and 07's, and is MOCO's responsibility to correct. If MOCO had done the tranny and engine upgrade and left the primary alone, especially the chain tensioner, we all wouldn't be having this discussion. Also, if the clatter is part of the 07 upgrade, due to EPA specs,why didn't or hasn't the dealer or MOCOsaid so? Do you really think MOCO said "They're going to love this clatter noise"? Or did they do it, and not tell us about it,just to get another chunk of money to fix it ourselves. Do you really think anyone would have bought this junk had they known about the clatter, overheat, vibration, tranny noise, phantom neutral, rattling lifters, I doubt it.The bottom line, no one likes spending $20,000.00 + on a bike and then anotherton of money to getit to perform right. HD should have neverput these bikes on the market until theywould correctly perform.HD broke it now let HD fix it at their expense.If a $1,500.00 upgrade will cure the problem, then let HD pay for it. I think that would be a small price for them to pay to keep their customers happy. Other companies build their bikes to EPA specs, and NO clatter for half the price, and I suspect people will be turning to those companies if MOCO don't shape up and do right by their customers. Of course they always have the d

Old 06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
adroitexdetroiter
Novice

My situation: No problems yet, butTERRIFIED they might erupt anytime. My bike: 2007 FLHX with December build date. Before I took delivery I added Stage I breather, Rinehart true duals, SERT, ECM download with richer mixture, premium oil cooler. I run stock fluids in all three holes. I do not have the recall download discussed here. I live and ride in Florida and it is hotter than Hades down here. 900 miles. I started reading this forum because a guy I ride with has aSERIOUS ultra clatter and I'm worried as hell. His ride is bone stock aside S/E mufflers.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats one hell of a first post! I agree with you adroitexdetroiterI have done the same mods to my bike essencially minus theoil cooler...(live in minnesota and it gets hot here but doesnt stay hot) I believe that my bike is running the way that it should now. It is a shame that the moco could not step up to the plate and be upfront aboutwhat needs to happen to the bikes.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!