Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 PM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,796 Likes on 677 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: SG 1

So you've had a bunch of Harleys and they all made noise. I understand and I understand the fifth gear whine. I can acceptthe explaination for why fifth gear whinesand it doesn't really bother me. In fact it seems to getquieter with miles. Don't guess I ever rode a motorcycle that didn't have lifter noise, except for my 2 stroke dirt bikes since they don't have lifters.

Now if you could just explain the clatter that everyone here is complaining about I'm sure we would all be very greatfull. The MOCO doesn't seem to have the answer or doesn't want to give it up. So maybe you could enlighten us all.
Well SG1
that's right. The whine is scary, because it's rigth in the range of speedI'm most of the timedriving (around 50 mp/h / 80 km/h) because most of the countryroads in Europe are limited to this speed.

Butthe clatter is absolutely not acceptable.
Iexpect the MOCO will find a solutionimmediately.

Enligthen the MOCO by anybody may help.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.coolclimbing.com/2007harl...roadking06.htmsome more info on the problem you have

[quote]ORIGINAL: SG 1

ORIGINAL: 85FXWG

Just ride the thing, you have a2 year warranty. I'll bet you a dollar it will still be shifting 2 years from now. My knucklehead, my Panhead, my three Shovelheads, my Evolutions and my Twincam all had loud tranny's, and loud lifter noises. I wasn't trying to be a smartazz when I said go buy a Honda. If you want a quiet motorcycle get yourself a Honda or better yet a shaft drive BMW. Harley Davidson isn't going to do anything for you and your loud 5th gear, they have already explained why they are loud. If there is a recall and they change out your gears so it will be "quiet" that will be great......I wouldn't hold your breath waiting[/align]

So you've had a bunch of Harleys and they all made noise. I understand and I understand the fifth gear whine. I can acceptthe explaination for why fifth gear whinesand it doesn't really bother me. In fact it seems to getquieter with miles. Don't guess I ever rode a motorcycle that didn't have lifter noise, except for my 2 stroke dirt bikes since they don't have lifters.

Now if you could just explain the clatter that everyone here is complaining about I'm sure we would all be very greatfull. The MOCO doesn't seem to have the answer or doesn't want to give it up. So maybe you could enlighten us all.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:26 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bluep

ORIGINAL: doodlbugr

I'm not trying to say there's no problem with our transmissions, but remember back in the day when we were driving our Camaro's and Chevelle's with the Muncie M22 transmission. It got it's nickname the "RockCrusher" from thenoises it made due to the straighter cut of the gears.
All 5 speed trans had streight cut gears for years, They didnt whine. And 80-90 was the proper lube, 80-140 for hotter weather .
That's right, my bikehas straight cut gears on my '06 RK and it doesn't whine at all in any gear. The first two things they teach all HD sales and service people to say to the customeris "They all do it" and of course the always number one answer "It's normal don't worry about it".

Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

[quote]ORIGINAL: 85FXWG

http://www.coolclimbing.com/2007harl...roadking06.htmsome more info on the problem you have

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM
UltraBagginCharlie
Intermediate

50 in 5th, I'd rattle too! Hell 4th will go to 90+, it will go faster in 5th than 6th! Hell at 80 it only turns 2850rpm in 6th, the rpm that the 96er starts to wake up. Putt, putt, putt, go buy an old Poppin Johnnie tractor you'll be happier. Hell my 07 Ultra clatters/rattles in high gears at low rpms, ride it and it goes away, dammit I'm goin to make sure it breaks instead of limiting my riding fun. Ever ride an old dressed pan? Oh my god! the dam thing sounds like its going to come apart, dammit better park it! You picky old farts need to take the batteries outta your souped up hearing aids! Charlie

Old 05-05-2007, 04:27 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

Another brilliant post! Thanks for taking time out to tell everyone how stupid we are. You left out "not one failure" though.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:24 PM
cubcake1
Tourer

Well after all the reading on this post, I will keep mine, run the heaviest xmission fluid the warraty allows, and keep the revs up. Its isnt that bad.

I would be interested in hearing of any failures where this clatter was a factor in the future.

I find the "not so perfect" sound of the tranny nice in a "thats a HD for you" kind of way.

I love mine and if it fails in the future I will fix it.

Ride on

Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Fishguy001
Road Captain

1100+ posts, 90,000+ views

0 failures ?

We all need to ride more maybe

Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
RamblingMan
5th Gear

I purchased an Ultra 4-weeks ago, build date in 4-07. I have the same 5th and 6th gear noises as reported by earlier builds. Don't know if it is a mechanical issue or gear cut/chain tension issue or not but I have one of the latest builds and am experiencing some of the same issues.

I plan to ask for the heavier lube in the tranny when I get the first service and hope it helps. Like most everyone else I plan to ride the bike, hope for a fix, and trade it if they improve in a year or two.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Edelmon
Cruiser

Did they at least tell you before you bought it, that it's different in 5th - 6th gear?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!