Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 PM
cavedog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

[quote]ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

Mine runs so hot it has blued all my exhaust,as well asburns the inside of my legs even with the after market heat shields installed. At stop lights, my wife and I haft to get off the bike to keep from getting burned. NO engine can take that kinda heat without doing some sort of long termdamage. Add all this issues together and you get one big overheating, noise, vibrating, uncomfortablemotorcycle.Most of the dealers (including mine) and especially (HD) are in denial about any of theseissues and there slogan has become "IT'S NORMAL". Example, took by bike to my dealer for 5000 check-up and showed them water inside my radio. Was told again "IT'S NORMAL".
[/quote

I talked to a HD dealer in northern Iowa today. Asked the sales guy about the heat problem, thinking he would give me some ideas of what to do about it. His reply"I have not heard of any heat problems". Must be a bad case of cronic depression leading to denial.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 AM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe sell it and buy yourself a new quite HONDA?

ORIGINAL: Saved Sinner

Just got off the phone with HD Customer Service Rep. what a joke. He gives the runaround about compensator, dog springs.........says there is no problem. I told him that if I had a new car making the kind of noise this thing is making, I would park it at the dealer and they would fix it. I asked for an area tech rep to talk to and ride the bike. He said he wouldn't give a name to contact because I would be wasting my time and his. He said factory is not working on a fix because there is none and there would be no changes for 08. He said that it is one of the "unique" sounds for the 07. I can't ride mine without getting angry because of the sound. If the service from company is no better than this I don't thing that I want another bike from them. I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and find a low mileage 06........

Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Why do people that act like they don't have any problems post to this thread just to dog those of us that do? I don't get it.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:14 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

Makes 'em feel better about themselves.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 AM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

Harleys make noise, always have and always will..................

ORIGINAL: SG 1

Why do people that act like they don't have any problems post to this thread just to dog those of us that do? I don't get it.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im taking it that just the touring models have this issue cuz i have a 07 night train and have no issues with the tranny, but have a click noise from the primary chain if you let off and get back on er

Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

[quote]ORIGINAL: 85FXWG

All bikes make noise.Some of us can tell which ones are notnormal.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:52 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

Just ride the thing, you have a2 year warranty. I'll bet you a dollar it will still be shifting 2 years from now. My knucklehead, my Panhead, my three Shovelheads, my Evolutions and my Twincam all had loud tranny's, and loud lifter noises. I wasn't trying to be a smartazz when I said go buy a Honda. If you want a quiet motorcycle get yourself a Honda or better yet a shaft drive BMW. Harley Davidson isn't going to do anything for you and your loud 5th gear, they have already explained why they are loud. If there is a recall and they change out your gears so it will be "quiet" that will be great......I wouldn't hold your breath waiting[/align]

[quote]ORIGINAL: SG 1

ORIGINAL: 85FXWG

All bikes make noise.Some of us can tell which ones are notnormal.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:57 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

[quote]ORIGINAL: 85FXWG

Just ride the thing, you have a2 year warranty. I'll bet you a dollar it will still be shifting 2 years from now. My knucklehead, my Panhead, my three Shovelheads, my Evolutions and my Twincam all had loud tranny's, and loud lifter noises. I wasn't trying to be a smartazz when I said go buy a Honda. If you want a quiet motorcycle get yourself a Honda or better yet a shaft drive BMW. Harley Davidson isn't going to do anything for you and your loud 5th gear, they have already explained why they are loud. If there is a recall and they change out your gears so it will be "quiet" that will be great......I wouldn't hold your breath waiting[/align]

So you've had a bunch of Harleys and they all made noise. I understand and I understand the fifth gear whine. I can acceptthe explaination for why fifth gear whinesand it doesn't really bother me. In fact it seems to getquieter with miles. Don't guess I ever rode a motorcycle that didn't have lifter noise, except for my 2 stroke dirt bikes since they don't have lifters.

Now if you could just explain the clatter that everyone here is complaining about I'm sure we would all be very greatfull. The MOCO doesn't seem to have the answer or doesn't want to give it up. So maybe you could enlighten us all.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
bluep
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: doodlbugr

I'm not trying to say there's no problem with our transmissions, but remember back in the day when we were driving our Camaro's and Chevelle's with the Muncie M22 transmission. It got it's nickname the "RockCrusher" from thenoises it made due to the straighter cut of the gears.
All 5 speed trans had streight cut gears for years, They didnt whine. And 80-90 was the proper lube, 80-140 for hotter weather .

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!