Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:21 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Unique sound to say the least.Wonder how many of these C/S people used their option for an 07 bagger this yr?The MoCo is backing all of us into a corner again on this.The area reps are also a waste of time-company guys-and trained on how to deal w/this complaint.Try parking your lemon across the steet from your dealer with a big statement on it or dressed up.Bet you get some action.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
cornholio
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unique sound, they are still using that term? That's what they called it when I spoke with them in October. Guess they are stickin with that one.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
2007UltraClassicVA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, another sucker here. Had a 96 Big Twin; it needed a good paint job, but ran great. Upgraded to an 07 FLHTCU, and am I ever disappointed. I've got the 5th gear whine, and 6th gearrattles so badly my teeth chatter (at all RPM up to 3200).

Searched the internet, whereupon I found this thread. Tookthe bikeback to the dealer last week with 50 miles on the bike, and got a "we'll see what we can do" when I dropped it off, so I was hopeful.

Got another attitude entirely when I picked it up. Mechanic says he rode the bike (abt 20 miles), but it is not an abnormal sound (presumably compared to other crappy 07s), but there's no problem thus they'll take no action. The story: "I can only do what H-D lets me do." So, the MoCo and he dealers have closed ranks to see if we'll go away.

We all know the dealer(s)could try to make the customer(s) happy, but have chosen not to. They're glad to arrange a local rep (from the MoCo) to examine the bike. So, here I sit. Paid $20K plus for the bike; I am embarrassed to ride in 5th gear, and 6th gear rattles my teeth. And nothing's wrong? They won't even check to see if the bike is properly assembled. I'd at least have checked the backlash in 6th. I expected better.

The transmission design is so honked up that Baker already makes a "fix it" kit for the 5th gear whine. Is that not confirmation enough?

So, I got to thinking...the MoCo designed a bad product, or poorly assembled a product, and has made an actuarial decision not to engage the unhappy customers, because of the cost. I have no idea what impact the strike had, if any, but we're all in the same boat regardless....

So, I was thinking.... How can we get them to engage us? I was thinking about a class action lawsuit. A bunch of us band together, contact a lawyer (maybe Dickie Scruggs in Mississippi) and see ifhe/she can help? All I want is my bike to operate like I expect (no excess noise, no teeth rattling when I ride). Maybe together can wecan encouragethe MoCo to be responsive.

Any thoughts? Got any lawyersout there who know more about this, and would be willing to give us some options?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:43 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Honestly I can only see a real lawsuit if someone (more then 1) gets hurt because of a flaw in the design. If the MOCO is going to stick to their guns on this then they will loose cutomers, but not enough to make a huge difference. They are counting on the brand loyalty to carry them through is what I believe. They have been counting on that for years and it always PO's me how the stealers act like they could ask anything for these bikes and they would sell. Hell I was down to 2 bikes when I decided to get back into it and my wife said if it wasn't a HD then forget it.I went over to the Harley because of her "it's got to be a Harley" thing, not mine. I like my HD's, but I have been very disappointed also in the rocks in a can noise I get to hear on my 07 RK. I got rid of the whine noise in 5th with AMSOIL HD 75-140 in the tranny and went PCIII stage 1 and Rinehart TRu Duals. For the most part the bike is fine, just a little noise in 5th and I can only hear the other noise if I pay attention or I have the wife on the back and the bike gets loaded a little more... so for that I get the revs up some more. They say no changes in 08... hmmm I bet there is something done, but they will never tell because we would all be screaming for the fix.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Edelmon
Cruiser

Call HD Customer Service and log a complaint. It's the only way we can get to them. Ask them if running a heavier gear lube in the tranny will help. Ask them if you should swap out the primary oil. Be nice and try to get them to help. Unfortunately, it's all we've got.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Edelmon

Call HD Customer Service and log a complaint. It's the only way we can get to them. Ask them if running a heavier gear lube in the tranny will help. Ask them if you should swap out the primary oil. Be nice and try to get them to help. Unfortunately, it's all we've got.
I've done that, and the girl I talked to was nice and even a little sympathetic. I even got a reference # as having logged an official complaint. Bottom line though is: The noises are normal and they will not fix unless it breaks. I asked about changing tranny and primary to heavier fluids. She was aware that some have done it with some success, but she would not bless it. Basically your own your own if you change to heavier fluid and the MOCO could void your warranty at their discretion.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 AM
doodlbugr
Intermediate

I'm not trying to say there's no problem with our transmissions, but remember back in the day when we were driving our Camaro's and Chevelle's with the Muncie M22 transmission. It got it's nickname the "RockCrusher" from thenoises it made due to the straighter cut of the gears.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:56 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: doodlbugr

I'm not trying to say there's no problem with our transmissions, but remember back in the day when we were driving our Camaro's and Chevelle's with the Muncie M22 transmission. It got it's nickname the "RockCrusher" from thenoises it made due to the straighter cut of the gears.
Yeah, but at least those RockCrushers sounded cool unlike the clattering Harleys.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2007ultraclassic,if a class action was started Im sure many would jump in on this since many have hit a dead end w/dealing w/the MOCO.I have9 months of this stuff and have spokeor have been contacted by many.Paper trail is there and some things have never been posted.Id be interested if enough commit to this idea.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Edelmon
Cruiser

Interesting. I spoke with customer service last week and they told me they wouldn't void my warranty for using other products. It would also be against the law for them to do that based on a law. If they force you to use their lubricants, then they must give them to you for free.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!