Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: rbabos

The clatter is not normal in my opinion, and doubt very much the tranny could make this kind of noise and still have bearings in it. From studying the design at some length , my opinion on the cause and fix would be this. I would hazzard to guess that the bikes that clatter will clatter in all gears at a certain rpm. 5th gear may put the primary chain and compensator into resonance more consistantly. The key ingrediant to all this is the chain. Load, engine pulses, heat which changes the length and thins the oil, plus the rubber mounted engine all add up to bringing up a condition where the chain starts whipping. In my view two culprits are at play to cause this action. The compensator may be too weak, and the self adjuster for the primary is no way up to the task. The adjuster , to me is absolutely retarded. Take a shaking chain and try to smooth it out with a spring. DUH. There needs to be a rigid preset for correct chain tension initially so the adjuster cannot be deflected to a looser state, and use the spring as a backup to prolong the adjustment period. In this scenario the clatter will eventually come back in time and the mechanical preset will need to be done. Looked at the picture of the adjuster and came to the conclusion that it is not even close to doing the job that it was designed for. Can't see it lasting a long time .Personally, I prefer the old mechanical shoe. The compensator may or may not be a problem, but it may very well be a bit on the weak side which will compound the primary whip. Like I said, all fixable if some gets off their *** and does it.
Ron
I think you have a good take on this problem. A few months ago, someone said he replaced the stock auto chain tensioner with an old manual type and reported that the clatter had disappeared. The problem with that is that the old tensioners needed periodic adjustment, and to do that on an '07 you'd need to remove the outer primary cover, which is a hassle. There are some hydraulic tensioners available, but I won't be the one to test them on this problem, and the manual-tensioner fix will need more positive feedback from others for me to try that swap.

HD claims the clatter isn't hurting anything, and I tend to believe it. Making the change to heavier primary and gear oil worked very well for me, so as far as I'm concerned it's fixed for now. But I'll keep my ears open both for the clatter to increase in hotter weather and for more info on this and other forums.

As for the clatter emanating from all gears, I've only heard it in 5th and 6th. Drop to 4th or lower, even at very low RPM's, and it is quiet. That perplexes me, frankly. Mine was not noticeable above about 2200 RPM's in those two gears, and would quieten as load increased or under deceleration. It was mostly an issue at cruise (light load) and below 2200 RPM's in 5th and 6th gears. At this point in time the clatter is gone in 6th and not very noticeable in 5th with the gear-oil change to 85w140. I can say for now I'm happy with the status quo.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:00 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

iclick: True, some of this follows no rules. In reality when decelerating the adjuster should compress when the chain is reverse loaded and tons of slack should be at the top causing contact to the upper part of the primary. Don't agree with HD stating it's not hurting anything. 30 pages of less than satisfied owners should be a wakeup call for HD. Like I mentioned earlier, tomorrow I'm going to look at a new FXSTC, but unless there is a pending fix in the works I will not buy it. Don't want to explain to my friends that I just spent close to 30k CDN for something that sounds like it's ready to explode. But then again, maybe lust will take over rational thinking and it may come home with me.
Ron

Old 03-16-2007, 07:04 PM
barkster99
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rbabos -- If you're considering a Softtail, that alone should be a big help. I believe the problem's been primarily a bagger issue. I think. I've ridden my buddy's '07 Heritage ST and, while it has some clatter, it's nothing like my Road King.

Some have suggested it's worse with a fairing to reflect the noise back. Geez, I hope not. My Road King is bad enough.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbabos

iclick: True, some of this follows no rules. In reality when decelerating the adjuster should compress when the chain is reverse loaded and tons of slack should be at the top causing contact to the upper part of the primary. Don't agree with HD stating it's not hurting anything. 30 pages of less than satisfied owners should be a wakeup call for HD. Like I mentioned earlier, tomorrow I'm going to look at a new FXSTC, but unless there is a pending fix in the works I will not buy it. Don't want to explain to my friends that I just spent close to 30k CDN for something that sounds like it's ready to explode. But then again, maybe lust will take over rational thinking and it may come home with me.
I'll admit at first the clattering was an impediment to my enthusiasm for this new bike, but it has so many virtues I didn't let that one vice squelch the joy of riding it. Now that I've gotten the clattering under control I find this bike nearly fault-free, within its design parameters anyway. Four months, 4200 miles, and no warranty claims yet.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:01 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Took another look at the pic of HD auto primary tensioner. Stupid question but if it self ratchets and takes up the slack when it's cold, won't the chain be too tight when the system gets to operating temps? If this is the case, won't it be more damaging than benifitial?
Ron

Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 PM
ultra rider
6th Gear

i have a noise in my trans so i took it to my dealer and they had to replace the automatic primary chain tensioner it has very loose but the noise is still there and now i have 1300 miles on it so i will ride it til it breaks hopefully while its under warranty SO
COME ON HD please just bite the bullet and say YES you have a big problem and fix the thing while the riders are loyal to the 07 ultra classic

Old 03-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Deluxe07
Cruiser

Hey Everybody,

Picked up my '07 Deluxe yesterday.....very nice I love it ! Anyway, got only about 20 miles in.....some highway riding.....before it started to rain so I went home.

Question: When does the 5th gear whine or general tranny clatter begin?? Is is immediately off the showroom floor or does it take a few milesto kick in?? I don't hear it....OK, I'm 50 and my ears are not what they use to be....but I wasintensly listening for the noises.

Looks like a good day today so I will get about another 50 or 60 miles on her. But just wondering about these noises I've been reading about. Also, I have on a windshield and bike ship date from York to dealer was 30 January if that makes any difference.

Thanks, Mark

Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark,,,, well,,, the biggest problem bikes were the first run and mostly the electra glides,,
I'm betting you wont have any problems

Old 03-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Deluxe07
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

Mark,,,, well,,, the biggest problem bikes were the first run and mostly the electra glides,,
I'm betting you wont have any problems
OK Rick, thanks for the reply......we will see how it goes. I just got back from my ride and put another 60 miles on. I did several miles at 60 and 65mph in 5th gear......no whine or clatter that I could hear. I put her in 6th at just above 65 mph and ran it up to 70+ and runs great. Also, anything below 65 mph in 6th gear I think the rpm is too low.....IMHO. On my 2004 Heritage I was always looking for one more gear......the 6th speed is very nice. Also, just IMHO, I think folks need to be carefull not to lug the engine with the 6th speed tranny.

Cheers, Mark

Old 03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
GOBB
Intermediate

I fixed mine. I can put it in 5th at 45 or 6th at 55 and no more rattle. I sent a privat e mail to rick to have him test his.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!