Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Sam you are not alone with this problem. What you describe sounds the same as my '07. It seems the MoCo would give the dealers some kind of information about what is going on. It would be good to know someone was working on the problem. They might be waiting hoping it will go away. One thing for sure. if something doesn't happen soon this bike is going away from me!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 07 street glide and have 350 miles and this thing is real noisey if you try to ride it like
it has a 5 speed...

Face it, the engine is Lugging.. Too high gear for the primary chain to stay taught untill it gets in the power band.

If I use 6th under 60mph, I have to be in the throttle, Coasting in 5th or 6th or for that matter any gear, it will lug if you
not in that gears power band..

Just will take some getting used to...

If it had a better primary chain tensioner, my theory solved.

But is there is some clearence issues in the trans, that's another problem.

Just glad it's under warrantee......lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/11910/7B00D5ADBDE04885A90BB2CC48C4B3E5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

If it had a better primary chain tensioner, my theory solved.
What is wrong with it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 PM
GOBB
Intermediate

I think the rattle is the new style of compensater thhat they put in these bikes. They always tell you to not lug the engine. i thought that is why you buy a long strock engine so you can lug them. I lug my old John Deere and it's great.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:08 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 07 SG has no noise issues as of yet,nor excessive heat problems.Bike runs strong,no burps or decel issues.As of now its in stock form other than cosmetic add ons.No stage one,factory ecm settings.Dealer told me trans has red-something fluid.Forget what he called it.He told me that they have seen no trans complaints w/his prepped models as of yet.I have known this man for awhile and has never not upheld his end.Loose hardware,improper clearnces,bad assy line batch,assy line worker error,Monday builds,Friday afternnon builds,Im not sure.For me,so far so good.Hope this hold true w/others.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:19 AM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer

Got a SE Springer last Friday and as of yet nothing noisy in 5th. They delayed the production of this model for over a month, so I;m thinking maybe it was to correct something.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:14 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I may be wrong,but have yet to hear anything other than touring models having very noisey tranny gripes.Seems to be a YORK assemly line problem.Spoke to several dealers and all give you the shrugged shoulders,we havent had one come back yet bull.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:34 PM
jimbo44
1st Gear

I've got an 07 Electraglide and my 5th gear has been noisy since day one. I took it to my local dealer and complained about the noise and was told that it was 'normal'. I picked the bike up and rode it 210 miles home and was worried every time I was in 5th gear that it might blow. I would describe the sound as two gears in the tranny banging against each other.. like maybe they weren't shimmed right or the shift forks were out of adjustment. At 900 miles I changed the tranny fluid to Bel-Ray before going on a trip.. no change in the noise. After coming back from the trip I changed it again to HD Formula + Tranny and Primary Oil.. still no change.
I have noticed a few things now that I have around 3200 miles on the bike. 1. The noise is not that noticable until the tranny oil gets hot (around 15+ miles or 20 minutes) 2. If you keep the RPM's above 2400 and are accelerating the noise is not real bad. Putting Screamin Eagle II pipes on at 900 miles helped to mask the noise while accelerating.
Actually it seems like a Heat/viscosity issue for me.. based on the noise not really present until the bike is hot... that along with my front exhaust pipe different turning shades of dark yellow and blue all the way back to the muffler (was bad BEFORE the new SE Tips) along with the surging effect the bike has...like it is starving for fuel.
Lot's of issues for my local dealer to sort through

Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 AM
mightywarlock
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jimbo44

I've got an 07 Electraglide and my 5th gear has been noisy since day one. I took it to my local dealer and complained about the noise and was told that it was 'normal'. I picked the bike up and rode it 210 miles home and was worried every time I was in 5th gear that it might blow. I would describe the sound as two gears in the tranny banging against each other.. like maybe they weren't shimmed right or the shift forks were out of adjustment. At 900 miles I changed the tranny fluid to Bel-Ray before going on a trip.. no change in the noise. After coming back from the trip I changed it again to HD Formula + Tranny and Primary Oil.. still no change.
I have noticed a few things now that I have around 3200 miles on the bike. 1. The noise is not that noticable until the tranny oil gets hot (around 15+ miles or 20 minutes) 2. If you keep the RPM's above 2400 and are accelerating the noise is not real bad. Putting Screamin Eagle II pipes on at 900 miles helped to mask the noise while accelerating.
Actually it seems like a Heat/viscosity issue for me.. based on the noise not really present until the bike is hot... that along with my front exhaust pipe different turning shades of dark yellow and blue all the way back to the muffler (was bad BEFORE the new SE Tips) along with the surging effect the bike has...like it is starving for fuel.
Lot's of issues for my local dealer to sort through
don't you love being a Product Tester?
I know I dont.
My 5th gear has either quieted down a little or i have gotten more used to it, but i cant get rid of that "clink" sound i get rattling around when i hit around 2800 rpm is either 4th, 5th or 6th gear. still afraid to ride the bike past 80mph, as that "clinking" sound gets worse if i try to go faster (happens more often, and makes me feel like i am hurting something). still unsure if it is the tranny or engine though...

Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

See if the trannys dipstick is still there.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!