Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Cable clutch vs hydraulic

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
lilbitmore
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable clutch vs hydraulic

I have a couple of questions, first let me say that I have a 06 Road King Classic and just put 13" 1-14" apes on.

#1 Is there a hydraulic clutch that will fit on a 1-1/4 bar with-out the handlebar depression like the brake mastercylinder?

#2 and which is better, hydraulic or cable and is installation difficult?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

I prefer cable clutches myself. One less fluid to worry about.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I assume you are dealing with a longer clutch cable question as opposed to the hydraulic unit line. In this case...the easiest installation is the hydraulic clutch. You can get a hydraulic line in any length to suit your build. The cost up front will be higher, but you will be able to get a line in any length you need and it can be worked around the frame and bar area a lot easier than a cable and look a whole he!! of a lot better.

Now...you are talking to a man that has had both types. I prefer the cable operated clutch for one reason alone. Unless you get a GOOD hydraulic unit and happen to have a strong clutch spring in there...the hydraulic unit will not lift the clutch enough.....just barely enough, but you will still have clunking, creeping and gear-clash unless you get a good one. The stock MOCO hydraulic clutch will cause all sorts of problems with any stronger than stock diaphragm spring. I like the hydraulic unit for it's smoothness of operation and it's (slightly) lighter pull, but if you want to go that route....check the aftermarket crowd like Joker Machine, etc. for a heavy duty unit. Don't bother trying the stock MOCO unit if you ever plan to strengthen the clutch. Besides, the MOCO units have "Harley specific" lines and the other manufacturers make the units that will accept generic AN-3 brake lines and adapters. Harley likes to build stuff from parts they either invent, re-invent or came from the other side of the planet so only they have the replacement parts.