Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny quit engaging; makes horrible noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 PM
lagonia
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny quit engaging; makes horrible noises

2003 FLHTCUI (Electra Glide, Ultra Classic)

Out of the blue, as I was riding yesterday, the tranny disengaged and became extremely noise. When I pulled the clutch cable, the noise disappeared and when I let the clutch cable go, the clutch/tranny would not engage and grinding noise was evident (quite loud).

Had the bike towed to my place, removed the primary chain cover. The primary change, clutch pack look fine, the clutch plates move fine, as they should, when I pull the clutch cable. I started the bike and put it in gear and sure enough horrible noises from the tranny. It looks like I am going to dig into it but wanted to know if any of you ran into similar problem like that? Am I looking at gears or the shifter cam assembly or anything else for that matter.

Thanx

Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,467 Likes on 5,048 Posts

It may be that the front belt pulley has come loose. Any oil leaking in the area between the pulley and transmission?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM
docrobinson
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had the front belt sprocket loosen up and eat the splines right off the sprocket

Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
lagonia
5th Gear

It looks like you are both right. There is oil between the tranny sprocket and the tranny housing (front belt sproket). I removed the clutch pack and when I turn the clutch assembly by hand, sometime it engages and sometime it does not indicating that the splines are possibly gone. To get to it, I need to remove the primary chaincase. Fun.

Need more tools from George's garage it looks like.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 PM
lagonia
5th Gear
Default Root Caused: Transmission Sprocket Splines stripped

Transmission sprocket splines stripped clean. The nut got loose and somehow the splines got stripped. The main drive shaft looks solid. It looks like I can get away with replacing the sprocket and the seals and be done with it (until the next problem pops-up)...

Attached Thumbnails Tranny quit engaging; makes horrible noises-img_2684.jpg   Tranny quit engaging; makes horrible noises-img_2688.jpg  
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

looks like you got her figured out. good deal. now don't be tempted to use jb weld. that's for yamahas. it should be a pretty easy fix now, and grat that it only got your sprocket. looks like you got it handled. good job.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM
hastms
Novice

Just started my 05 hertiage from the winter sitting (4800 miles on it) when I pull in the clutch and go from nutural to first gear , it learshes forward some nothing major just don't remember it doing that when I put it away for the winter. If I put it in nutural without releasing the clutch and back to first it does not do it.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,467 Likes on 5,048 Posts

While you are in there you might think about replacing all the seals on the inner primary and the left side of the transmission. Also, now is the time to check how the shifter lever fits onto the shaft that protrudes from the transmission, make sure it fits tight.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Aphotodog
1st Gear
Default 03' FLHTCi won't go into gear loud grinding when I try

I have a '03 Electra Glide classic with 32,500 miles on it. Change all oils every 5000 miles or sooner. I drove it to work the other day and parked, no problem except I heard some noise as I made the last turn into the parking lot. Decided to move it up a little in the parking space, engine cranked but it would not go into 1st (or any other gear). Push on the shifter with the clutch in and hear gears grinding. Turn off the engine and push it forward and hear a noise sounds like "clock, clock, clock" as the rear tire turns either forward or backward. Reach underneatch and try and wiggle the belt. It is tight, does not wiggle or feel the least bit loose. Trailered it home. I was about to change the cam tensioners as I found out that is a needed service on this model at this mileage. Now I have to figure out what this problem is. Any ideas. Sounds alot like lagonia's situation. The bike is stock except for stage 1 air filter. Small oil leak behind the primary cover near the front belt sprocket.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Mark P
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@Aphotodog Does the trans "click" when trying to engage into gear or not?

Quick Reply: Tranny quit engaging; makes horrible noises