Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch problem..possibly the cable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:16 AM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch problem..possibly the cable?

I know this is probably going to sound pretty basic to some of you....I think I'm on the right track as far as the problem..just want some back-up opinions and thoughts...I was left stranded last night because I could not shift properly..shift into gear just fine in all gears and neutral when not running..start up and pull in the clutch..it would walk on me big time..hard shifting..had to play with the clutch,pulling it in and out,before it would go into gear, up or down...made it to a buddie's house...tried adjusting the cable..got the adustment all the way out on the cable...still no change...I noticed it got worse as the night went on...the clutch and spring are pretty much new...so is the cable..I have an 88' fxrs the cable was stock replacement for the stock the stock handlebars being buckhorns...I have currently drag bars on it and I do have some cable slack... also the handlebar control for the clutch side has some significant wear...I think that the cable maybe stretched and that the there is wear in the control housing that I can't get proper adjustment...no problems prior, but today as usual when you want to just get out and have a few beers somthing has to happen..doesn't that suck!..I'm thinkin its the cable along with the control housing..I really had to pull back on the clutch cable lever to make a difference..any thoughts...I feel I'm on the right track...let me know....thanx guys.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: clutch problem..possibly the cable?

You need to start at the Clutch hub itself......

Zero out the cable, remove the Derby cover and zero out the clutch hub adjustment.....

You might find that once it is zeroed and then adjusted per spec, that the walking has gone away.....

The Clutch cable is less than half of the total adjstment for the clutch.....

Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 PM
MixedNuts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen the bearing on the clutch release pushrod fall apart. The bearing is behind what used to be the kicker cover on the pipe side of your bike.
Not sure if you have the same set up as trannys of old but it gave me the same symptom when I ran across it.
Let us know how you make out.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch throw out bearing is very small and will not take running dry long.When it goes your pushrod usually also wears and you keep losing adjustment.