Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

5-speed kickstart conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 07:10 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-speed kickstart conversion kit?

Has anyone ever installed a 5-speed kickstart conversion kit on an EVO? I've got a 93 Springer Softail, and have always liked the look of a kicker, along with having a backup in case the battery or electric starter goes.

Does anyone know how are these kits are to install, and how well they work? I've read a couple of things that seem to indicate that EVO's were harder to kick over than previous Harley smaller displacement motors.

I'm interested on trying a conversion kit, but want to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew, and also want to make sure they are actually functional...

Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Super Max Belt Drive
6th Gear
Default RE: 5-speed kickstart conversion kit?

Wheel;
The electric start evo as I know them need to have a different module that will fire everytime instead of waiting for the 3rd stroke to fire. They are called an XL module I beleive.
You might have to deal with your exhaust pipes too.. Stay away from the swing away kicker arm too..Get the pedal and arm so just the pedal turns foreward. Lots of things to think about and I'm with you on the back-up system...I even run a magneto I'm so afraid of electrical stuff.
Phil

Old 07-14-2006, 11:16 AM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on putting in a different ignition at some point anyway, so I don't think that would be an issue.

My main concern is the pipes. I've got Hooker Troublemakers right now, and they run right across the front of the transmission, so obviously they wouldn't work. Come to think of it, I can't picture that many pipes that don't block the front of the transmission. Any suggestions?

Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shudder!

I am a Broken Leg Rider cause my foot once slipped off an ironhead kick start and it kicked back on me. Jeez, would I NEVER put one of those things on my EVO.[:'(]

Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

Wow, are they really that bad? I've never kicked anything over other than an old Triumph, so maybe I don't know what I'm in for...

Old 07-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

The newer bikes have better ignition control than the 67, much less likely to kick back. If timing is advanced enough, it might fire early and throw the kicker into your foot. My problem was that my foot was no longer on the kicker and in a bad spot. Being very light at the time, I had to really jump on it to turn it over. That ironhead had some super compression, and was prone to kick back. I didn't know enough about it then to adjust the timing, and once running it was a fast beast.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:37 AM
dhutchison
Tourer

1) You'll never use the kicker. It's a pain in the ***. 2) It won't clear your pipes. 3) You can get a push button switch that goes on the end of the starter. 4) If you still HAVE to have one, you can find them in J&P, Bikers Choice, MidWest, ect.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

1. Why do you say I would never use the kicker? Just because it's too hard to actually get the bike started?
2. If I decide to go the kicker route, I would replace the pipes with a different style that didn't block the transmission.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:49 AM
dhutchison
Tourer

Not saying that you don't have the *** to kick your bike, but they can be a real bear. I'm sure you CAN kick it, just that once you do, you probably won't ever want to again. Once you have one kick back on you, you try to avoid it at all costs. I am a huge fan of a kicker, but they just aren't practical, or user friendly on the newer bikes. Most exhaust systems will not work with a kicker, and have to be a custom made application. Not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to give you some of the real facts on them on the newer bikes. I've already been there and done that.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. My guess is that if I really want to go the kicker route, I might be better off picking up an older bike with the kicker installed...

Quick Reply: 5-speed kickstart conversion kit?