Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

5-speed kickstart conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM
SteveB1971
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize the cost and its a pricey proposition with the Baker for sure but have an opprotunity and money to get this done. I have been looking at the cycle shack drags for clearnce of a Baker F5K but have yet to be able to talk to a tech at cycle shack to make sure before I purchase. This is what I have come up with so far and again want to talk to the tech at cycle shack to be sure.

Cycle Shack part numbers PHD-101A/PHD101SA/PHD101SD
These 1 3/4 drag pipes fit 1984-1999 FXST-FLST also fits 85-86 FXWG

Im thinking 1984 softail was kickstart and if these pipes fit those year model they SHOULD work, but, again, I dont know for sure. Im looking for info from people that know and have experience about this conversion as Im wanting to go through with it. It suprises me that there is not any info that Ive found about pipe selection but when I get this done you can bet I will post what has worked for me. I need any help I can get people! I dont want to go the custom pipe route! Thanks in advance! Again. Looking to put a five speed kickstart conversion on my 1993 softail. Will most likely be going with the Baker F5K. I talked to the guy at Exile cycles just now about the slim design Primo five speed kickstart conversion and he told me as long as I found pipes that didnt run in front of the tranny my only issue should be the kicker itself and that I will most likely have to buy an offset kicker to clear the pipes but again any help appreciated as Ive only been able to come up with very limited info on this. HELP!!! Haha

Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've not kept-up with the fluidity of the changes they made between 84-86. I do know that I had an 86 that was a belt-driven, 5-speed....with an aftermarket kicker. I have a friend that still has his 84 or 85 (don't remember which) 4-speed chain-drive WITH a factory kicker. He has often told me his was the last year for the 4-speed chain-drive. One thing to consider.....you may not be able to use the 4-speed kickers as a pattern for pipe fitment. The 4-speed case may not have had the same dimensions as the 5-speed and that 5-speed kicker adds some width. Like going from 5 to 6....that "extra" gear has to go someplace....or get thinner.

When I got my 86, it already had the kicker on it and was equipped with drag-pipes, so I can't say much about what pipes you can use.....but we all know anything is possible if you just keep working at it. As I recall, I "manufactured" a 2-into-1 pipe and had it chromed.

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 AM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone finished this conversion yet? Im curious to see a write up on this

Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I can tell you for sure that kicker-kit on my 86 5-speed saved my butt north of Daytona once. I left Daytona and stopped off on old 90 at the Swanee River. Unbeknown to me, my stator had been dying and she would only go "click" when I tried to crank and leave. Back in those days, we die-hards converted the electronic pick-up to points....so about any fire you had left in the battery would run the motor. Had it not been for the kicker, it would have been a wrecker-call. There was nobody with me to help me push.

I kicked it over for two days and it cranked every time as I made it home spending two more nights on the road.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:11 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoSpringer
Has anyone finished this conversion yet? Im curious to see a write up on this
Plenty of folks have what do you want to know?

Old 02-11-2015, 05:57 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser

Well i added a kicker kit to my 84 shovel but I am curious if the Evo kicker kit was about the same? Also im curious who else makes a decent kit at a decent price that wont break the bank

Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 AM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser

Im curious to know how good Exile Cycles kicker kit is? Im looking to purchase this setup soon

Old 02-12-2015, 08:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

What I know of some of the other kits is that the kicker gears are screwed directly onto the shaft. In our opinion that's bad, every time you kick it, that gear gets tighter and tighter. Eventually you will go to kick it and ..SNAP!!!! there goes the end of your shaft. We use a press on gear so this will not happen.Ours is American made and comes with a 2year/20,000 mile warranty. Here is a link:

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/f5k

If you are looking for a "good deal" or a "great price". Do not click on the link. We design our products to preform flawlessly and stand up to harsh abuse but that comes at a cost.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:53 AM
jamescamps
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kickstarter on Softail Heritage 1340cc (build 1996)

Hello gents,
Does anyone knows the kickstartkit from "Motorcycle storehouse"? I bought it for around 300,00 USD. I mounted it on my bike but had to un-install it because of the exhaust (Paughco two-into-one). The rear exhaust header is in the way of the clutch cable. Now, I have to customize my exhaust but cannot find a exhaust re-builder in Belgium...
Is there someone out of Belgium who knows such a re-builder?
By the way, this kit is good quality/price, a nice install manual comes with it!

The following users liked this post:
streetboy80 (04-20-2020)
Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Lowbrow
2nd Gear

Is there anything I can do to my bike that I can't even kick start. I was told that has to much compression on my 96ci Evolution. Anyhelp?

Quick Reply: 5-speed kickstart conversion kit?