Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

5-speed kickstart conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: 5-speed kickstart conversion kit?

My first bike was a CH kick-only bike. If I did my part, it fired right up. And I pulled the electric foot off my Shovel and ran it for about 10 years kick-only. Geez, keep it tuned and it started up easily.

The Evo is actually easier with the right electronic ignition. There are several out there that are made for kickers, or have a setting for kickers. The pipes definitely have to be custom ones. And the whole kicker assembly that is grafted onto the tranny cover sticks out further than the stock one. Plus some of the cheap kits are crap, with too soft metal parts that wear out.

Put a fake one on, and then do the ol' Then Came Bronson trick: Pretend you're kicking it through while pushing the magic button!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely can't go the fake kicker route... I'd feel like too much of a poser

Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 PM
biggerjose
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheels;
Kick starters are a GREAT thing. No matter what you do "I" beleive your on the right track. DO NOT use a kick arm that utilizes the arm that the whole arm pivots back. Use a arm that only the pedal folds. There are people out there that make the right stuff. I think that Sputhe makes one that uses a whole new shaft. It's a 5 speed shaft that has a 4 speed end on it. There are some out there that have a screw on nipple on them that is cheep-er but not the best. Your on the right track by not using a fake one..What good is that and if indeed your battery may be low, you can hit the button at the same time to get her goin'. Kick starters are a great savior if indeed you need one. If all of the ignition parts are right it won't kick back on you either. The ignition will be retarded till it starts..(Get the XL module)
I love your attitude about your bike. I come from an era that had no electric starts...We rode all of the time and these electric starts are indeed handy but they don't work all of the time..It's tough to have to find a hill or push it or camp out next to it till help arrives..That sucks and as we both know good batteries are expensive but they are really cheap in the middle of the night out somewhere and they go dead..That happens all of the time. Anyone that says, "My battery never goes dead" is lying to you or they never go anywhere anyway...Only my 2 cents worth..Jozer

Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

Thanks for the post. I still haven't completely decided what I'm going to do, but I'm definitely keeping the kicker idea on the back burner...

Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 AM
duckdart
Novice

I am putting the rev tech kickstart kit on my 01 electra glide and will post the problems and solutions after the install.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,917 Likes on 818 Posts

I would have killed for a kick starter this summer when my starter bit the dust the day before I was suppsoed to leave for Gettysburg Bike Week!

I also really like the look of the kicker folded up behind the engine!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 10-17-2009, 10:55 AM
jdbluedevils39
Intermediate

Dont listen to anyone who says its a pain and you can't kick an EVO. I have a 11:1 Compression EVO and It starts on 1 kick, You just have to dial your carb in right. Alot of people soilder a dime to you idle turn it up on start up and just turn it down after start up. That is also with a super E carb, I dont know what carb your running. Like the other guys said ignition also helps. I have a Crane Hi-4 with kickstart mode and I swear by it. Its a pretty easy conversion to do on the 5 speed so if you get a kit and need some help let me know!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I purchased an '86 Softail from a guy once that had installed the 5-speed kick kit. I think 84 was the last year for the kick, but no matter as he had put this kit on because he could just not phantom having a Harley without one. I use to show-off for people that would bet me I could not kick-start it, which I did on a routine basis. The thing hung out in the breeze and could be considered by some to be butt-ugly...but it saved me once. I was coming back from Daytona on the two-lanes and since leaving town, I felt an unfamiliar vibration and I just had the feeling something was not right. I stopped off on a bridge over the Swanee River to throw a few rocks in and when I hit the start button.....all she did was click. That funny vibration I had felt was my stator going out. There I was stuck out over the Swanee River on a lonely two-lane. Well, I unfolded the kicker, kicked her over and she cranked right up. I came all the way (some 400-miles) back home by just never touching the starter button and keeping the lights turned off. I had to stay over one night along the way, but when I got up the next morning, she kicked right over and started up. I just let it run at gas stops and she made it all the way home. There was that one COP in Mariana, GA that pulled me over for running without the headlight, but he was sympathetic to my case and let me go.

That is my story concerning the reason why a man ought to have a kicker if he can.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 AM
blackpanhead53
Advanced

Did you install kickstart ?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The kit was on the bike when I bought it....it was an 86 Softail. I later removed it and it's pretty straightforward as I recall. That was a long time ago and I really can't remember all the details, but I do not remember having to go into the tranny. I am sure all the guts are in the 5-speed kick cover. Must have been a gear installed somehow on the main shaft, but I don't exactly remember the details. All I do remember is removing it and replacing it all with a stock cover....so it can't be too complicated.

Quick Reply: 5-speed kickstart conversion kit?