Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Whats gone missing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 PM
OldNLow
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats gone missing?

Hi All

FXDL 2007

I noticed some oil under my bike and having got it over a pit I can trace the leak to a threaded hole roughly in line with the small round inspection cover on the primary chain case but on the engine side. In other words its only visible from below and appears to be on the back of the chain case.

Oil only leaks from it when the bike is leaned to the right.

I guess it is about 6-10mm but can't be sure.

It looks as if something has fallen off or maybe it it was just a plugged hole.
I'm going to find a bolt to stop the oil escaping but am concerned that something has gone missing.
Any Ideas?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:06 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be your shifter shaft seal on the inner primary. Shine a flashlight down there and you will see if there is oil there. It will travel and look like it's coming from your outer primary. That's what happened on my 05 RK.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:00 PM
OldNLow
4th Gear

Thanks jbnl163

The shifter is some distance to the rear of the bike from the place where I can see the empty hole so I don't think its this.

Having had another look there is a very small 15mm dia push fit cover on the primary case that also seeped a bit of oil recently if I remove this I can push a bit of wire straight through the primary case and out through the hole I found on the other side! Could it be the chain tensioner has dropped off inside the chain case?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Do you have forward controls?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 AM
OldNLow
4th Gear

Yes I do, fitted by the dealer when I bought the bike new 2 years back.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm thinking one of the bolts (top one ) has fallen out of the automatic primary chain tensioner 2006-2009 Dynas use this I would take the outer primary cover off and investigate the screw is probably stuck to the magnet one the prim drain plug

Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

It sounds like the hole that was plugged when the forward controls were installed. It is where the mid controls shifter shaft went through the inner and outer primary from engine side to outside. It probably is not threaded. Go to the dealer and ask if they have an extra plug for the shifter shaft hole when converting to forward controls. If it is leaking, then the tower gasket in the primary is needs to be changed. Remove the outer primary and clean off the face of the inner tower and stick a new gasket on. Then replace the outer primary and replug the hole on the back.
Without actually seeing the bike, that is my best guess.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
OldNLow
4th Gear

sqdealgeorge
This was my thought as well and, if correct, it's a wonder the chain did not get jammed up with the screw and cause all sorts of damage.

tbone52
This makes sense and explains why the small cover is there.
I think I best ring the dealer tomorrow and check before doing any removal of the chain case.

Thanks both for your help and enlightenment, I'll post back when I know more

Cheers

Old 09-28-2009, 01:27 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior

The shifter shaft hole is the only one that goes all the way through the inner and outer primary chaincase as far as I know. I just got through removing and reinstalling the chain case and drive on my bike and thiat is the only hole I remember that goes all the way through.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
OldNLow
4th Gear

The more I look at it the more obvious it becomes that you are correct. I checked some pics of standard controls and looked at the old parts I had and clearly this is what the hole is for. Now that my mind is at rest and nothing has fallen off I just need to source a stopper/plug of some sort and jobs done. Thanks again, you have saved me an expensive trip to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Whats gone missing?