Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Stripped Primary Outer Cover Drain Threads! - How To Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stripped Primary Outer Cover Drain Threads! - How To Fix?

Wonderful, just wonderful! The technician at my old dealership either cross-threaded, or more likely over-tightened, the primary drain plug in the outer cover. Now, a new drain plug will not seat tightly. What is the way to re-thread or repair these threads in the aluminum cover? A new cover is at least $200, so there must be a way to repair a perfectly good cover. A search on this forum did not find a thread for how to repair the plug threads. Thanks.

Last edited by OneBlackFly; 09-20-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a 1/8 NPT thread...I think. In other words...a pipe plug. You can tap it out to the next size, but you will have to also use a new size pipe plug. They can be had in stainless, or just about any color anodized aluminum. I have to say that that is one that I have never tapped-out, but I think there is enough room on the boss for that. Maybe yank it off and take it to a machine shop, if you are unsure of doing this. By the time you buy a drill, tap and a new plug, the cost may be a wash. The other old try may be to just wrap it good with Teflon tape, but that will always be an aggravating fix.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they make an oversize pipe plug.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts
Default plug

tap it to 1/2-20,use a nylon washer.it`ll be fine
kirby
veetwin racing

Old 09-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thats what i did

Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

Originally Posted by 1550vt
It's a 1/8 NPT thread...I think. In other words...a pipe plug. You can tap it out to the next size, but you will have to also use a new size pipe plug. They can be had in stainless, or just about any color anodized aluminum. I have to say that that is one that I have never tapped-out, but I think there is enough room on the boss for that. Maybe yank it off and take it to a machine shop, if you are unsure of doing this. By the time you buy a drill, tap and a new plug, the cost may be a wash. The other old try may be to just wrap it good with Teflon tape, but that will always be an aggravating fix.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they make an oversize pipe plug.
Prior to model year 2004 (like my bike), the primary drain plug was a 1/8" NPT. In model year 2004, H-D went to a straight thread plug with an o-ring. The fix is to re-tap the hole to 1/8" NPT and then use a stainless steel pipe plug. The worst part is that the gasket between the inner and outer covers has to be replaced too (a $30 item). Oh well, could always be worse!

Thanks to all that replied. I'm off to the hardware store now. Bye.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You can usually get by without replacing the gasket in most cases.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

First...get a ball pein hammer.......and go whack the ahole that stripped it in the forehead so he has a large cherry knot to explain for 2 weeks.

Then tap it oversize and get a larger plug. No real oil pressure in there so not to worry. If it is totally FUBARED....JB weld the plug in there and use a vacuum fluid extractor (pela or motive brand) and suck the oil out the derby cover hole. When the oil is hot a fluid extractor will drain a primary in about 3 minutes.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Gleb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
I use to fix a bad thread
DONE DEAL REMOVABLE THREADLOCKER or DONE DEAL THREADLOCKER AND SUPERGLUE KIT.
To eliminate leakage of oil from Primary cover I used a DONE DEAL RED RTV SILICONE GASKET MAKER. Leaking oil has been eliminated.
Good luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 AM
gBonesg
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gleb. Do you use the silicone gasket maker with or without a new primary gasket to fix the leaking primary cover?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:02 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

I want to summarize what I had to do to get this drain plug fixed. The previous H-D technician overtightened and thereby stripped the threads in the primary outer cover drain hole. The steel plug was fine but the o-ring was destroyed. How the plug stayed in is a miracle.

The fix was to tap the hole to 1/8" NPT and use a H-D drain plug from any model year prior to 2004. Those plugs are 1/8" NPT. Since there was very little material into which the new threads were tapped, I put teflon tape on the threads of the plug. Now it holds firmly and with no leaks.

If this ever happens again, I'd just enlarge the hole to 14" NPT and use a NPT pipe plug.

Since I had to remove the outer cover, I used that opportunity to adjust the chain tensioner and clutch too. I'm back on the roads.

Last edited by OneBlackFly; 10-02-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Stripped Primary Outer Cover Drain Threads! - How To Fix?