Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

deceloratin whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Wild Bill
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deceloratin whine

Hi Gang, I have a '88 FLST with about 90k miles. I have a problem. When I back of the gas, in anygear, a whine can be heard that is loud enough to be heard by other riders. I rebult the trans with new bearings and seals, but in a new sprocket kit and pilot bearing, but the sound is still there. Any ideas / suggestions? Thanks in advance for your advise.
Wild Bill

Old 05-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: deceloratin whine

Sorry can't help with the problem but someone will come along that can.You may wanna try one of the other forums like gen tech.

Welcome to the place and good luck on getting the prob. worked out.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Wild Bill
6th Gear
Default RE: decelerating whine

Thanks for responding. Here is a little more info.

My ’88 FLST with 90k has developed a loud whine when decelerating in any gear. At any speed when I pull in the clutch the sound diminishes over about 3 seconds. I have gone into the trans, but it was amazingly clean with very little wear. While in there I replaced all the seals & bearings. I also put on a new sprocket kit, seals, and a new pilot bearing. The clutch looks good. The chain has a little side flex, but minimal. The compressor nut was put on with an impact wrench. Primary chain and belt tightened to specks. Added clean fluids and ran it, but the whine is still there! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Was the whine there before you went into the tranny? Since it goes away after ~ 3 seconds when you pull in the clutch, I'd be inclined to rule out the compensating sprocket, primary chain, clutch hub assembly. What about the inner primary bearing? Was it replaced or checked? I'm wondering if the addition of all new tranny bearings hasn't moved some of the various gears in relationship with each other, and you are developing new wear patterns?

Old 05-10-2005, 12:24 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a slight whine in my sportster, kinda sounds like a real faint blower drive belt whine, kinda cool sounding.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:04 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't help with your problem, but wanted to say:

Mac

Old 05-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you found us!

Ryan

Old 05-10-2005, 05:10 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Can't help you with your problem, but I hope you can get it answered soon.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Wild Bill
6th Gear

Yes, the inner primary bearing was also replaced. The whining noise was prevalent before tearing into the trans. My '88 does not have a cam chain or tensioners, but what about the camshaft needle bearing? It is a very small bearing for such a loud noise however. Man, I need to get back on the road. I would appreciate suggestions from anybody. Wild Bill

Old 05-10-2005, 08:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

Yes, the inner primary bearing was also replaced. The whining noise was prevalent before tearing into the trans. My '88 does not have a cam chain or tensioners, but what about the camshaft needle bearing? It is a very small bearing for such a loud noise however. Man, I need to get back on the road. I would appreciate suggestions from anybody. Wild Bill
Since it goes away when you pull in the clutch, I wouldn't think a cam bearing would be the culprit. I'm leaning towards something in the tranny. What about your throwout bearing? Those li'l things have to put up with a lot of abuse. Could you put the bike on a stand, fire it up, drop it in gear, and use a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the location?

Quick Reply: deceloratin whine