Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission leak from hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Tpratt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak from hell

Hi everyone, I have been having a problem with the transmission leaking down the left side.
I have had it in to the dealer four times to have it fixed (under warrenty). It stops leaking for about a month and then it starts again. Its not a big leak , about the size of a half dollar on the ground but its really starting to **** me off! Has anyone else had this problem or is this bike a lemon or is the service dept at this dealer clueless fools. Maybe its time to call HD and see about arbitration before the warrenty runs out.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Transmission leak from hell

At our shop, we are to the point on a couple of them that we are replacing the cases...

HD has seen what we are doing and have validated the seepages.....

Long story short, sometimes the cases ae machined a bit larger or have minor fissures in them that are causing the "Territory Marking".....

Old 06-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

After the third set of seals (including the original set) I asked if the case had a problem and they just gave me the "you are a dumb S--t " look and replaced the seals again. 5th set of seals are leaking again. I have been working on bikes since 1965 and i can tell when new seals ain't going to fix the problem.
One and a half of months of warrenty left what do i do now? I really did not pay this kind of money for a 1970's leaky AMF Harley.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Gotta complain to the big dog at the store... If you are loud enough, they will get a Rep from the Factory there to see what has been replaced, how often and they will test it right there....

So far we have replaced 3 cases, and I have another one waiting for it to come in.....

3 TC 88's and 1 88B trans.....

Old 06-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

Good advice gunny , Maybe I will sick the wife on them, fantastic woman but oh my god watch out when she,s pissed at you. (no cannot do it thats just to evil).

Old 06-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Tpratt

.......... will sick the wife on them, fantastic woman but oh my god watch out when she,s pissed at you. (no cannot do it thats just to evil).

Oh the 7734 you can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

I am rolling on the floor laughing and spilled my scotch, I should be kicked for alcohol abuse.
But I'll do it, it serves um right.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Square Dude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lemon Law worked for me as for getting a new engine. All I had to do was send them the initial letter stating that I was not pleased with the bike and that I didn't think I could sell it for anywhere near what it should be worth. Suddenly, they were calling me to arrange a meeting with a factory rep. at a local dealer.

After the engine change I noticed a drip occassionally from where the primary drain plug is. That's the lowest point. For a long time I thought it was a seal but finally I discovered that when they replaced the engine the stator wiring grommet that goes through the primary case got damaged. Wind would blow the oil back along the inside of the primary case to drip off at the drain plug.

Also, I find that if my transmission is a little too full the oil will drip out from the shifter shaft sometimes. It shouldn't leak there but mine does.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

Well the bike is back in the shop lets see what happens.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 PM
ggutowski
Stage II

I'm glad I joined this forum. I have a 2003 Softail and I reciently noticed a leak that appears to be coming from the trany. Originally I thought it was simply coming from the primary drain plug, but closer inspection revealed it was comming form the trany via the input shaft (not sure if thats what is called ... my manual is at home). I felt good about my diagnosis after talking with the service department at Mile High Harley. They said the seal that was leaking is on the tranny (common problem) and can be removed and replaced by removing the primary cover.

I bought the manual and all of the various seals that the parts guy at the dealership said I needed to replace. I followed the manual and was able to remove the outer primary cover, part of the starter, and the clutch/drive chane/compensator as one unit. I then removed all bolts holding the inner promary cover on to the motor and transmission, but the cover wouldn't come off. Did I miss something from the manual? It looks like there may be a snap-ring on the tranny mechanisim that needs to be removed, but I didnt see that in the manual. The mechanic at the shop didnt mention that either.

This looks like an easy job but I'm stumped. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Don't tell me this is a warrenty item? This is a 2003! Isn,t it out of warrenty?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission leak from hell