Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission leak from hell

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:21 AM
mongo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission leak from hell

Hi all.
io am trying to fix a couple of oil leaks .
One is from the transmission into the primary it leaks about half a paper cup when on the side stand but not when its verticaly upright on the bike lift.
One more from the rear rocker cover. I always leaks after a while despite the gasket change. No such problems with the front rocker covers
Since ive had to strip the left side primary cover etc to get to the seal i noticed that i might as well change the small final drive sprocket
Does anyone know where i could buy it online pay with paypal.
The bike is a 1984 FLT 5speed evo.
Also since ive got this side opened up any preventive advice?Anyone else out there riding a 84 FLt evo 5 speed do drop me a line
thanks for the help
Mongo

Old 07-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

hi mongo. I can't help about where to find stuff on line. I buy my stuff from the dealer. It may sound crazy because I pay more, but I can almost always take it back if it is wrong. My bike is under warrenty so I just keep taking it in to the dealer when something goes wrong. In the past on other bikes I have owned when I get a gasket that will not seal I do the following. First I check the sealing surfaces for any dings. If I don't find any really bad ones I make sure all the old gasket is off the sealing sufaces. Be really careful removing the old gasket you really don't want any more dings. I use a NEW single edge razor blade and 600 grit sand paper to get rid of the old gasket. Take your time doing this. If you rush the job you WILL be sorry. When both surfaces are clean I then use alcohol to get rid of any oil around the sealing surfaces that might get on the new gasket. Then I put on a layer of Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket on the inner surface. Don't get crazy with the permatex it only needs a light layer on the surface. Just make sure you do not leave any gaps. Then put the gasket on top of the permatex. Now put another layer of permatex on top of the gasket. Same as before a light layer with no gaps. Put the outer sealing surface on and then torque it down to whatever the manual says to use. You are basicly making a permatex, gasket, permatex sandwich. WAIT 24 hours and then put in your fluids. this should stop any leaks. Just remember only do this where you will not need to take it apart very often. The permatex really works well but it's a real pain to get back off. Acetone works pretty good at removing old permatex. Remember take your time. Cuss at the @^%$& a little bit and take your time. Oh by the way do not try to use this procedure around a moving part (like a shifter shaft) it's only good for parts that do not move. If you already know all this sorry for wasting your time blame it on the scotch and being late at night.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13731/ED2D135A08A44AAAB466C45AFE09FDB2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2006, 03:39 AM
mongo
Novice

Thanks for the input.As far as dealers go .i havent got anything good to say.Anyways the bike is 22years old and its been thru 3 rebuilds and 8 partial rebuilds.I keep praying that it stays fixed well for at least 3 years of problem free riding.theres only ne dealer on the island here.Regards
Mongo

Old 07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said but, i like Indian Head Gasket cement (if you can find it)

BTW I got my bike back from the shop, put over 300 mi. on with no sign of a leak yet. I hope i'm not JINXing it by saying I think they MIGHT have got it right this time.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

any time I can Help Someone thats great. I have not been working on harleys that long but I have been working on bikes for about 30 years. I have put about 250 miles on the bike now and no leaks so far. maybe they finally found it. keeping my fingers crossed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13731/0F91CD960E7E470C95F1C644DA3A48AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Super Max Belt Drive
6th Gear

I'll bet the boy's at the shop gave you their "SUPER TIGHT" adjustment....That wipes out seals and bearings..Been at this belt drive thing for 34 years and there can be a lot of damage done by those "TIGHT" belts..

Old 08-06-2006, 07:39 PM
1991fatboy
Stage III

AND DOES THE DRIVE BELT BEING TO TIGHT HAVE THAT MUCH OF AN AFFECT?

Old 08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Oh yeah...Creates additional side load on the output shaft of the tranny. Increased bearing and seal wear, etc. Don't run the belt too tight. It is, afterall, just a hi-bred chain.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 AM
biggerjose
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mongo
Is your bike still a chain drive? jozer