Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission leak from hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Tpratt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission leak from hell

My bike is an 05 ultra so it was still under warrenty I have not heard of people complaining about this problem so I think that I got the lemon. Oh well stuff happens, I just have to keep after the dealer and make sure it gets fixed. If it fails again I will be doing my talking to harley direct. Can't help with how to take it apart as long as the bike is under warrenty thet dealer fixes it. There is alot of smart people on this forum that can help. It would probably be best to start a new post so it would be easier to see

Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Tpratt
Advanced

Got the bike back finally. this time they replaced the inner bearing race and the shift pawl assy. They say that the shift pawl had a gouge in it and that was damaging the seal. looks clean so far, We'll see.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13731/D8B17077421346DC9FFED7A4387CD5AB.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2006, 01:29 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

Spoke to soon. I wanted to ride the bike tonight and when I tried to start it, it would not idle (dies) and if I give it a little gas it starts to backfire though the air cleaner. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK. I really need my butt kicked for buying anything from that place in corinth TX,

Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A similar thing just happened to a freind of mine ( 02 Nighttrain EFI ) He just turned on the key fired it up and rode away, said it ran lousy, i asked if he waited until the little red engine light went off and he didn't. next time he did wait and it just ran normal as if it never happened. Maybe you will be that lucky.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

Sorry no such luck, I even got out the book just to make sure that I was not doing something really dumb. I Think that a hose has come off the fuel pump. I turn on the ignition and wait for the pump to stop and the engine light to turn off. Then I turn the bike on, The bike runs really bad for about 5 or 10 sec and the dies. When the bike dies I can hear fuel pump still running like you just turned on the ignition and can hear a splashing swooshing(?) sound coming from the gas tank. After a couple of seconds the pump stops just like it does when you first turn on the ignition. After reading what I just wrote I don't think the hose is all the way off, I think that it is cracked and the engine is not getting enough gas. If you look in the gas tank with a flashlight when starting, The gas is really being stirred up. and just to keep people from ******* me i don't smoke the flashlight can be used in explosive atmosphere and there was padding to pick up any gas that might have got out and I even had a wrist strap on to get rid of static before starting.[sm=rant.gif]
Edit: If anyone was wondering who got the ultra 05 lemon you can stop wondering.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13731/A49ED9B566D24B58A44062825CD48686.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
NitroBerserker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you on this Lemon thing, My Electra Glide also has a "Transmission leak from HELL" That's why i've been looking at this string. Been back so many times Iv'e lost count ( i'll have to look at my bills) They just replaced the tranny case, after replacing all the seals two or three times and the inner primary. and it STILL LEAKS. and not after a couple days either, try 50 miles and it's leaving oil on my driveway.
My extended warranty just ran out but they have been working on it since last year.
They are going to pick it up again today, we'll see what happens now.

This is after about a hundered miles

Old 06-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I've gotta get in on this too:

Had a similar issue with my 1993 FLHS (I think I got the lemon also) and I'm not certain if HD still uses the same or similar design on the output shaft seal, but on my bike the only thing that held the oil seal in place was the drive sprocket. And a large nut/lockplate combo that had a history of loosening up, so in 1994 HD came out with an update. The bike would drip from the primary cover so the assumption was that the outer gasket was bad. Then when that didn't stop the drip, the new assumption was that the replacement chrome outer primary cover was bad. When that didn't stop it, and I was riding back from York, Pa on a rainy Saturday: I found out what was causing it--The nut that holds the drive sprocket onto the transmission output shaft had loosened up to the point that it was hitting the inner primary case. I thought I'd sucked a valve or something as the bike made a screeching noise and bucked a few times, then luckily settled down.

And luckily I found the dealer less than five miles away in Chambersburg was open, and luckily there was a mechanic working on Saturday, and luckily he knew what the problem was immediately, and luckily he could get me on the lift and fixed. Rode the bike for five years until one day during Bikeweek I came out to find a small oil drip on the pavement. This time I knew what had happened and it was at Kissimmee HD the next day to get repaired....Again. Hasn't happened again, but I'm coming up on five years.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Tpratt
Advanced

at least the transmission has not started leaking again yet but it usally takes a week to a month to start again. The problem with the engine dying was the fuel pressure regulator had cracked in half. sorry but that just spells cr_p to me. By the way does harley sell touch-up paint. they managed to put a chip in the tank when replacing the fuel regulator. Have these people never heard of lock-tight

[IMG]local://upfiles/13731/918473540F5641DFB65476DA52B32FA3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah they sell touchup paint....I bought a itsy-bitsy, tiny-small bottle of Vivid Black....For $10. Take out a second mortgage if you want to by a quart of the stuff.

And I thought airplanes and boats were expensive......

Old 07-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Tpratt
Advanced

you got that right. 1/2 OZ is $18.00
At least the bike is running good so far.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13731/5D0F65A3F0EB49218758F3F5659CC6E6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13731/7218118CFC514938842A1E5F037AE37F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Transmission leak from hell