Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Removing the inner primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:06 PM
birsling
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the inner primary

Alright guys, I am changing from an enclosed belt, back to a chain primary. I purchased an entire setup, including the inner and outer primary covers. In addition, a complete new gasket kit to make sure I have no leaks. I have the outer primary off, the clutch, the hub, the belt, the jackshaft, the starter, and all the inner primary bolts removed. How do I remove the compensator nut? Are the threads opposite (like the clutch nut)? My good compressor melted some wiring last week, and I haven't had time to fix it, so I am using my nail gun compressor. Should that be enough pressure to remove the compensator with an impact wrench? After the compensator is off, the inner should come off as well, correct? Hopefully people are on today, because I am hoping to get this done. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2006, 12:49 PM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Removing the inner primary

As far as I know the nut is left handed threads . Check your manual to be sure .

Old 05-29-2006, 04:14 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Engine sprocket nut is the normal right hand thread on my Evo. Was on my Shovel and on my Sporty, too. You can use an impact to get it off, but it ain't recommended for putting it back on. Make a tool to lock the sprockets together and torque it to spec.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:32 PM
birsling
Cruiser

I looked in the manual, didn't seem to say, I will check again. Poco, are you guys arguing the same thing, or the opposite. Do you think that it is lefty loosy?

Thanks for the advice on not impacting it back on. Currently it is a belt pulley, but it will be easier to make a locking tool when it is the compensating sprocket.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 PM
birsling
Cruiser

Okay, got the compensator off, and the snap ring around the trans shaft. I go to pull the inner, and it comes 1/2 way off of the oil seal on the trans shaft and stops. What else could be holding this thing on? I don't need to pull the trans, do I?

Old 05-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

The compensating nut is on the crank, and the clutch basket is on the tranny, so no you don't have to pull the tranny. Just wiggle the nut aroind and give it a couple of tugs.

I posted pics of when I did mine on another thread. Look at the end of the thread and the pics are there.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_417410/tm.htm

p.S. What did you use for a lcoking tool?

Old 05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
birsling
Cruiser

Scout,

Thanks for the help, and the great link. I haven't made a locking tool, but there is a template for one in the Clymer manual that I was thinking of using. Do you have a better idea? I got the inner off, and I have few problems based on the following:

1 - I have 2 inners, 1 from '93 and one from '94 (and 2 outers, the same thing)
2 - I have the components of a '97 (clutch, compensator, tensioner, etc.)
3 - I need to get a new jackshaft, since I need a 10 tooth, which is not a big deal
4 - The trans in my bike was made by Indian

Here are the problems, or perceived problems:

1 - The trans shaft oil seal does not fit tight around the trans shaft, I would assume it should. Since the clutch fits the Indian splines, shouldn't the trans shaft be the same size?
2 - The trans bearing pressed into the '94 inner has a larger I.D. than the shafts O.D. (ie. they don't touch)
2a - If I use the '93 inner, the bearing fits the shaft perfectly (it is the one that was taken off)
3 - If I use the '93 inner, the oil seal for the jackshaft has a larger diameter than a '94-later jackshaft

Are there parts to remedy all or any of these problems. The '93 inner is chrome, but the '94 is black wrinkle. Due to the theme and color scheme of my bike, either one is fine with me, so I would like to use the easiest one for me. I have a brand new '94-later gasket set from Dennis Kirk, so I have the seals for '94-later. I guess the biggest question would hinge upon me taking a picture for somebody to compare the bearings as well, and to figure out why the oil seal doesn't fit tight against the trans shaft (or if it is even supposed to). That was long, but hopefully complete. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Stkman
Advanced

Don't know if I can help or not but would like some history of the bike like what year, motor and trans. I use a hardwood dawl for a locking tool about 1" in dia.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:34 PM
birsling
Cruiser

The bike is a special construction that I completed after buying as a basketcase last year. After I completed it, I decided to make it nicer, so I have torn it down and am building again !

Late Model 80" EVO
'86-'99 Softail Frame
Indian 5spd Trans (which I believe to be very close to HD's 5 spd)

I solved my problems by the way. I pounded the bearing out of both primaries, put the bearing that was on the bike into the '94-up primary (the black one), and mounted that on the bike. Should be good to go now, I hope. I will know in a few days when I fire her back up. Thanks to everyone for helping!

Old 05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

ORIGINAL: birsling

I solved my problems by the way.
I'm glad you got it worked ou! I would have answered sooner, but I just had to go riding for a couple of hours

Keep us informed on the progress.

Quick Reply: Removing the inner primary