Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

GOOD GOD, what have I done...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
dlnp22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOOD GOD, what have I done...

Just changed my fluids for the first time, and realized I've got a leak from my trans(somewhere, but I have yet to be able to poinpoint exactly where).

No leak before(that I'm aware of, but the bottom of my my trans case, and the portion of frame directly below are pretty wet w/ the new, clean oil.

My only thought- I MAY have overfilled by maybe 4 ounces or so. I assumed(and we allllllllll know what happens when ya assume...) it took a whole quart(no need to slam me, I've been beating myself over the head since I realized), and I'm guessing that might be the cause?

My question is this...I'm going to suck out the extra fluid and get it down to where it needs to be....will leak subside or am I screwed and have to replace a seal or something else?

Thanks in advance, all!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

First question is ...... Do you have a SERVICE manual, and did you use it????

What year bike, and did you replace the o-ring on the drain plug???

Are you SURE that you didn't cross thread the plug back into the drain????

Old 08-03-2009, 03:05 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

Do not try and suck it out, That is the easiest way to get contaminates mixed in to the tranny. Slowly remove the drain plug and let a few ounces dribble in to a container, then start the topping of procedure again. Is this a new bike? Is it still under warranty? Or is this just your first attempt at a oil change?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
dlnp22
Tourer

91 fatboy. New for me

Manual does not show an o-ring, then again, my manual told me my trans drain plug was a bolt up between my rear shocks, when it was actually a little torque screw/plug on the bottom/front of the trans case facing out(not down). Hmm.

Also, dude at dealership said there was no o rings for my primary or trans magnetic drain plugs. Are there ANY scoots that do NOT have these 0-rings, or was I fibbed to?

I'm 99.9% positive it's not coming from the drain plug, in any case.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
dlnp22
Tourer

Originally Posted by TFTCAR
Do not try and suck it out, That is the easiest way to get contaminates mixed in to the tranny.

it's a brand new turkey baster ;I should be ok

Last edited by dlnp22; 08-03-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Not sure what year or model you have, but my 99 Softail Custom only takes 22 to 24 oz. Does you fill plug have a dip stick? It should be checked by not screwing it in to check the level. Just line it up with the threads like you are going to screw it in to check. If it is like mine it has 2 marks. One for full, and one for needs more. I try to keep mine about half way between the two marks. Jim

Old 08-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

You probably won't have turkey for a while anyway. LOL. The baster should be fine in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
dlnp22
Tourer

I KNOW I'm overfilled, my question is about the possibility of blowing a seal....is there a vent for the transmission on a 91 fatboy(evo)? Could it just be spewing out of that? Or if no vent, I can only assume the excess oil had to go somewhere and is busting out of somewhere.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a vent on top of the primary a hose calm down take deep breaths and read the manual i have a 98 glide so my bike as far checking it should be level. she can come out the vent

Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

4ozs to much will not blow a seal.

OK, so you over filled it. Its only a quart, maybe $15 if you use Amsoil - drain it out through the used away and put the right amount in.

My guess, given its like my friends, is that you either cross threaded the drain plug, did not torque the drain plug properly, spilt a little, or most likely - the vent is overflowing the new oil. Again, drain it out and put the right amount in.

If you cross threaded the drain plug, that can be fairly bad, but there are fixes. The other conditions are easy to overcome.

...gene

Quick Reply: GOOD GOD, what have I done...