Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner and Outer primary cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inner and Outer primary cover removal

I am thinking about tackling the changing of the shift arm on the tranny, mine has gotten extemely loose(even with tightening up often). I don't have a manual so I am asking: Do I have to remove the clutch and primary chain, etc to get the inner cover off to access the tranny lever?

Joe

Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Get a manual. Yes you do. When I first arrived on the site no one would answer any question that was related to having a manual until i had one. The best $60 you can ever spend on your bike.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM
lacefieldusaf
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definetly get a manual. It will give you all the torque specs for reassemably. Real quick heres what you are looking at. Remove footboards, drain fluid, remove outer primary cover, loosen chain adjuster, unadjust clutch, remove clutch adjustment plate to access clutch hub nut, remove nut, remove componsator and sprocket with chain and clutch as a whole. Now remove all the inner primary bolts, they are different lengths, and remove inner primary cover. Besure to replace all seals, gaskets and o-rings.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,393 Likes on 5,001 Posts

The service manual will also tell you which nuts are left hand thread.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When you tightened the trans shift arm did you loosen it first? spray it with penetrating oil then put the ***** to the allen screw ? If not try this procedure What do you have to lose Use a 3/8 drive socket set and give er hell !

Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need torque wrenches when you remount the compensator gear and clutch assembly. I use them on every nut and bolt that has a listed torque value. The five self-sealing bolts that secure the inner primary will also need to be replaced along with the other gaskets, seals and o-rings. I just replaced the stator and rotor along with the inner primary bearing and bearing race in my 06 Wide Glide. The Service Manual is definitely a necessity if you are going to do your own work.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
kimberman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lacefieldusaf
Definetly get a manual. It will give you all the torque specs for reassemably. Real quick heres what you are looking at. Remove footboards, drain fluid, remove outer primary cover, loosen chain adjuster, unadjust clutch, remove clutch adjustment plate to access clutch hub nut, remove nut, remove componsator and sprocket with chain and clutch as a whole. Now remove all the inner primary bolts, they are different lengths, and remove inner primary cover. Besure to replace all seals, gaskets and o-rings.
I'm getting ready to remove the compensating sprocket on my 2009 Dyna Fat Bob. I'm installing a forward control kit. Would you please tell me what size socket I need to loosen the bolt? The dealer says 13/16 but it seems a bit loose. Thank you in advance for the info.