Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Is my clutch adjusted properly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Ace2000
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch adjusted properly?

I have a 2000 Sportster and had to replace the seal for my primary cover. I disconnected my clutch release mechanism (located right behind the inspection cover). When putting everything back together, I wasnt certain how to exactly/properly tighten and adjust everything, so i did the best i could. As of right now, the clutch engages and disengages, and seems to be working properly. I can shift cleanly, if the bike is running and i am in gear with the clutch handle pulled in, i can walk the bike forward (and backward), and after riding when the bike is turned off and still in gear, i can walk the bike with the clutch pulled in. however, if the bike is cold and in gear it is very difficult and close to impossible to walk the bike with the clutch pulled in. Is this a sign that i need to go back and readjust my clutch? I dont remember having this problem before. If i ride with my clutch not adjusted properly, could i potentially ruin something or put more stress or unwanted wear on to my bike? thanks a lot. I know i should have a service manual, but i havent been able to get one just yet

Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

how is pushing it cold in nuetral ??

Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes you could damage your clutch if it isn't adjusted the right way

couple a questions and answers:

1 did you let all the slack out on your cable before adjusting it in your primary?

2 you did adjust it in your primary and not your cable right?

3 that little nut/screw inside your primary that you use to adjust it with...you tighten that until you feel resistance (don't crank on it) then come off it a 1/4 turn (that is the proper adustment technique) then take up the slack in your cable; but always do that second

4 when is the last time you adjusted your primary chain? sometimes you can have clutch problems it your chain isn't adjusted right; i haven't heard of your specific problem being casued by a primary chain but sinse your in there ya might as well button it up.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Ace2000
3rd Gear

Pushing it cold in Neutral is the same as it has always been (no resistance). When i changed this seal, I took out the clutch release mech, but i actually just left the cable attached to the primary cover (i did not loosen or adjust the actual length of the cable). So i did not technically let the slack out of the cable before i did my adjustment under the primary cover (but i also never changed the length). I know i did tighten the nut/screw inside the primary, and then i remember i did 'back off.' but i what i cant remember is how much i actually backed off. I bought this bike with around 4 or 5 thousand miles on it last summer. the previous owner had just brought it in the the routine check up before he sold it. the bike now has about 7600 miles on it and i actually have not yet checked the primary chain. I know the best thing to do is probably just go back in and properly readjust my clutch. Would you recommend loosening the cable first? or just leave it be? I just wont have time to do it for a few days and am hoping it is still good to ride...

Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you'll be fine if yr ride it a few days, not the best idea but not that big of a deal...i would personaly give all the slack in the cable, then readjust at the clutch and when ya go to resistance (don't crank on her, just resistance) then a 1/4 off and fine adjust with the cable....that will be yr best bet

Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Ace2000
3rd Gear

Thank, I appreciate the help!