Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Dealer forgot to refill transmission oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
David Wallace
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer forgot to refill transmission oil.

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic and recently had the bike in for the 5,000 mile service at a local Harley Dealer. They later advised to change to Bel Ray transmission oil to quite down the 5th gear whine and when I did I found the transmission oil empty. The bike ran 700 miles with very little synthetic oil.

I immediately took the bike to the dealership where they drained the Bel Ray and found no metal particles. They also test rode the bike and said it was ok. Does anyone have any knowledge of potential damage or feedback on what I should do next? I contacted Harley Davidson and they wouldn't offer much advise or information. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

i am just being a smarta$$, so do not take this seriously. Never let a dealer do any maintenance on your bike! They do not give a $hit if they forget to fill any of the three holes with oil. Ain't their problem. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the transmission will be just fine and will last until 1 or 2 days after the warranty is up. At that point it will be yor problem, not the dealers. That's what they are banking on anyway! Now for the serious part - I would attempt (probably will not work out) to get the dealer to sign something admitting that they neglected to put oil in the tranny and that they accept responsibility for future problems, even beyond the warranty period. Good luck though!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is pretty disturbing! Any good reputable dealer does care about your bike and having you as a repeat customer, having them sign something to keep them liable isn't really a bad idea, but I don't think they will.
If you've been happy with their past service and want to continue doing business, let the service manager know you do not want that technition working on your bike again.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
comaman2
Banned

Originally Posted by extech
That is pretty disturbing! Any good reputable dealer does care about your bike and having you as a repeat customer, having them sign something to keep them liable isn't really a bad idea, but I don't think they will.
If you've been happy with their past service and want to continue doing business, let the service manager know you do not want that technition working on your bike again.
yea thatel teach em?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd probably run the current fill for 1000 miles and then send it off to a lab for analysis. If the report comes back that there is significant wear, then make the dealer pay for a new tranny.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just one more reason I do my own oil service now. When I picked up my bike from my 1000 mile service I drove a block away and checked the oil in the engine & trans (yes I brought an allen wrench with me). Had to wait to get home to pull the derby & check the primary....which is when I realized WTF am I doing? Got my service manual the next day. I have read at least 10 posts on here for the same problem. One guy with a brand new Vrod had his engine blown because the idiot tech forgot to fill the engine with oil and took the bike for a test ride. He had all kinds of problems with the MoCo and had to settle for a rebuild on a brand new bike.

I just don't trust anyone to do simple service on my bike, cars, boat.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

All good replies here,

NEVER, EVER leave anywhere after service without checking your fluid levels. Might take a little more time and a few hand tools, but as you experienced time well spent.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 955 Posts

Damn. Dave. I feel for ya man. Those guys do that for a living.
That would be like going in for a heart transplant and the doc forgets to put the new heart in!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Heath
Former Sponsor

Dang, lucky you found it when you did. Hate to be 100 from nowhere.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

+1 on checking fluids prior to leaving the dealer. You can only check two of three holes.

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to refill transmission oil.