Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clutch Question

Had a strange thing happen while adjusting my clutch during my 10k service and trying to figure it out.

I've adjusted the clutch several times before w/o incident.

This was how it panned out. Tightened up cable adjuster to put alot of free play at perch. Lubed cable and adjusted clutch screw to specs as usual. Then backed out cable adjuster to close the free play at perch.

No matter how far I backed it out I couldn't close up the perch. In fact the clutch handle was so slack it went all the way back to the grip.

I'm thinking the clutch cable is either broke or my clutch is shot. I was almost getting ready to pull the housing off.

I repeated the adjustment process several times and finally got it right. Still don't know what I did wrong.

Anyone else have a clue?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Skip2u4u
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me it has to be a broken cable.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

All this assumes your clutch was working properly before and nothing is actually broken.

With your cable adjuster ran in (slack), remove your tranny dip stick and go in your derby cover and tighten the adjustment screw all the way in...as far as you can get it until it starts to "lift" the clutch. If you have enough screw...take it on in until it stops and will not turn. This should set the ramp-n-ball. Then, back out the adjustment screw and take it back in until you feel resistance and back it out that 1/2 turn. Tighten your cable (screw out the barrel adjuster) and the lever should move forward off the grip like you would expect. You know what to do as you have done this before.

If the cable still will not adjust, it could be that the ball-n-ramp lifting mechanism is stuck and cannot be pushed back in with the adjusting screw. Take a soft mallet and "tap" the side cover as you tighten the adjusting screw....this may work. The reason I suggest that you have your dip stick removed is that sometimes, the cable will rub against the dipstick. Pull it out so that is not causing any drag problems.

If none of this works, you may have to remove the side cover (drain the fluid first) and see what's going on. If you did not have any issues before you made the adjustment, I doubt if your cable all-of-a-sudden broke. Those ramp-n-ball mechanisms will stick on occasion and not rotate the slack out as you turn the adjusting screw in. If it's stuck full-open....the behavior of the clutch cable will be just as you describe...you will not be able to adjust the perch clearance. I have had to remove them on occasion and actually rotate the outer ramp and cable it back to the "home" position with my finger and then start all over again.