Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

klunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
57_kid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default klunk

When I shift into 1st gear the clutch feels like it isnt realising enough , but after checking the clutch discs they spec out OK none warped all within specs. While reassembling the clutch i made sure that it was realising far enough for the discs to become loose. so after adjusting the clutch adding new oil it still klunks when going into 1 st gear . Also if I start it in 1st gear it jumps ahead a couple of feet then acts normal but if you shift into neautral it grinds when going back into first, Another thing I checked was the oil in the tranny ,it was full but smelt like gear lube instaed of oil . Dont know if that would make any difference or not ..any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
thanks
Steve
89 softail custom

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything you describe leads to clutch drag. Not disengaging enough, primary chain too tight which causes high friction on the hub bearing trying to rotate the main shaft. Cold thick oil in the primary will cause a torque converter effect with the plates as well. A couple of feet lunge when starting in first is pretty extreme. As far as the trans oil, it's out of the loop if the clutch is disengaged and has no effect with your problem.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 04-06-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
57_kid
1st Gear

Ron
Thanks for the input , I have just spent a long time in the forums and sounds like it might just be me be used to the jap bikes ,I just went out and tried it again and with the clutch pulled in and in 1 st gear the bike moves ahead briefly , but you can feel the clutch release , when I had the primary cover off and the lever pulled in I could spin the shaft with just a little sticking of the plates . As soon as the discs separated everything seems ok.
I might just be reading to much into this problem as this is the first Harley I've owned.I am just not used to the clunk or the grinding if I dont step on the lever with authority.
I did check the primary chain tension along with the clutch adjustment
thanks
Steve

Last edited by 57_kid; 04-06-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of oil do you have in the primary?
What clutch adjustment procedure are you using?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
57_kid
1st Gear

At the moment I have ATF in the primary , I do not know what was in there before BUT it was thick. I used both the repair manual and even went as far as using this forum's procedure the last time which is basicly the sams as the books. I will try it again this afternoon and see what happens.
thanks
Steve

Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
rbabos
Banned

Steve: You mentioned grinding into gear. Harleys need to be shifted into gear with athourity. One good solid hit with the foot. These dogs are big and it won't hurt it. Trying to tickle it into first will round off the dog edges in time. The clunk into first will likely never go away due to the brutus design of the components, namely the high inertia clutch pack and hub. At times it will pop in and not make a sound, but it's rare.
Ron

Old 04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

They all do that........

Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it dont klunk going into 1st gear then its a HONDA!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
57_kid
1st Gear

LOL ....I think thats my problem ... all I've ever had are rice grinders
Took it out yesterday and it shifts ok but klunks if you go directly into 1st gear ,, someone on the forum suggested to go into 2nd gear then pop it into 1st and that seems to work ok ,, so I guess that it will just have to do maybe after a few hundred miles I will get used to it..
Thanks
Steve

Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by 57_kid
LOL ....I think thats my problem ... all I've ever had are rice grinders
Took it out yesterday and it shifts ok but klunks if you go directly into 1st gear ,, someone on the forum suggested to go into 2nd gear then pop it into 1st and that seems to work ok ,, so I guess that it will just have to do maybe after a few hundred miles I will get used to it..
Thanks
Steve
Don't go into first gear until the speed somewhat matches the gear. If you try pounding into first at higher speeds the noise will even scrare the chit out of me. It don't like that, really. It's more of a crunch/bang.
Ron

Quick Reply: klunk