Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primo Brute III Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:44 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default Primo Brute III Question

I was ready to install the clutch hub of the Brute III belt drive this afternoon so I could check the primary belt alignment, and see if I needed to do any more grinding. I opened the box and pulled the clutch assembly out and noticed it had a splined drive. Unfortunately, my '87 FLST shaft isn't splined, but tapered. This ain't good. I bought it last October, a few weeks before crashing THE MAMA's bike and wiping my knees out. Gotta contact Direct Parts tomorrow and see what can be done.

My question is whether a 1987 Softail should have a tapered shaft, or a splined shaft stickin' in the primary for the clutch assembly?

Old 04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Primo Brute III Question

86-89 they used a tappered mainshaft. You can convert your mainshaft to the later splinded shaft, not real cheap. Or you can contact the manufacture and see if they will swap out the hub for you. If you like to beat on the bike at all, I would update the mainshaft. If you just like to putt around, swap the hub.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:32 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I remembered reading about the change, but didn't know when it happened. I bought this bike used and a bit abused, and always find something "interesting" whenever I tear into it. I noticed the part number on the clutch hub box had a "-90A" in it, while the other box had a "-86" or something similar on it. I'll call 'em tomorrow and see what they say. Kind of worried because I bought it 6 months ago and am just getting around to opening everything up.

Way it's going I might get this bike on the road in time for next winter.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, the stock clutch hubs crack at the keyway. The splined hubs hold up much better. Bikers Choice used to have a conversion kit for the early tranmissions, I am not sure if they still do.