Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Changing rear pulley on '97 Heritage from 65T to 70T???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:39 AM
BK Meyers
|
Cruiser
Default Changing rear pulley on '97 Heritage from 65T to 70T???

I recently got my '97 Heritage project bike running, tagged and insured. Had the engine rebuilt with the following combination:
Wiseco 10:1 pistons
Andrews EV-27 cam
Mild port work on heads (mostly bowl blending the exhaust)
CV carb (will be changing to an S&S Super E after the engine is broken in)

Other details on the Heritage: Bags are removed, solo seat, lowered front and rear.

The bike feels good but I have some questions. I also own a '96 Road King with the same engine set-up. The Road King runs a 70T rear pulley and 32T front, while the Heritage has a 65T rear pulley and 32T front. I would like to get the gearing on the Heritage more in line with the gearing on the Road King. Acceleration on the Heritage is very good now, but with a change to the lower gearing (higher numerically) of the Road King the Heritage could really be a monster on take-off. I'm really not concerned about losing top end speed as the Heritage is more of a back-road bike.

I know I can change the front pulley to a 29T and get close to the Road King gearing. Or I can change the Heritage rear pulley to a 70T and match the Road King gearing. I would like to find a used 70t pulley to experiment with. My questions are:

1 - What model(s) used the 70T pulley that will work on the 1997 Softail??

2 - Will the upper and lower belt guards need to be replaced also, due to the larger diameter of the 70T pulley?? I am hoping to reuse the existing belt.

Have been on Ebay looking for a used pulley. Have found some but have been unable to get the supplied part numbers to come up on the HD website.

Thanks for your help,
BK