Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

New clutch cable issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Mark_FLHX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch cable issue

I just put a set of WO575 bars on my '08 Street Glide. I needed a longer clutch cable so I ordered a 66" cable which is about a +3 from stock. The problem I am having is that when I put the new cable on, I have to adjust it all the way out and still have about an 1" of play in the lever. The clutch and stock cable worked fine before I took everything apart. I have torn alot of bikes apart before but this is my first Harley. Everything was pretty straight forward and I have checked everything over but can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Any thoughts?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
stroker1948
Cruiser

The length of the cable should not have anything to do with the slack you are talking about. When you removed the clutch cable trap door from the transmission. Did you install the ramp and ball assy. correctly. Sounds like you have something there in the wrong position.

Stroker

Old 02-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Mark_FLHX
1st Gear

Yeah...that's what I initially thought but I've had it apart twice to make sure and from what I can tell it is.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:12 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the ramp got pulled forward which would cause the excess slack in the cable. Adjust a bunch of slack in the cable then push the inner cable back in toward the transmission. Then adjust the clutch push rod at the primary. Now adjust the cable and see if it's any better.
I've had this happen if I pull the clutch lever in after I've put a bunch of slack in the cable. Can't get the push rod adjustment right if you do this and consequently can't get the cable adjustment right either.

Just start over and make sure the ramp isn't pulled forward before you adjust the push rod.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Mark_FLHX
1st Gear

murphdog, thanks for the reply I'm just not sure I follow you (probably because I'm a little new to a Harley ) - I've had the cover off twice and checked the ramp before reinstalling it and it does seem to be in the right position. Also, does replacing the cable require a clutch adjustment at the primary when everything was fine beforehand?

Thanks again for the insight.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark,
Theoretically, no, you shouldn't have to adjust the clutch after you replace the cable. I'd certainly try it though, based on what you're describing. I've had the exact same thing happen (without changing the cable) when adjusting by the book. I've also had it where the clutch lever wouldn't pull in all the way after adjusting by the book.
Sorry if I'm not being clear, but the 2 adjustments are interrelated and you'll not get the cable adjustment right until the pushrod adjustment is right and you'll not get the pushrod adjustment right if the cable is not slack enough or the cable isn't pushed back toward the transmission.
I'd bet that if you check your pushrod adjustment with the cable slack and pushed back, you'll find the pushrod adjuster more than one turn out from bottomed out.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 PM
stroker1948
Cruiser

Well, let me ask the dumb question. Before I install any cables, I lay the new cable beside the old one.. In your case the clutch cable was to be 3 inches longer. So is the new cable housing 3 inches longer ? How about the cable itself, is it 3 inches longer ? It's possible, you don't have the correct cable for your bike.. another words, the housing itself may be 3" longer, but the cable itself may be 4" longer. Thats the only other conclusion I can come up with, thats causing your problem. Adjustments at the primary would not make up for an inch of slack. I know it's a P.I.T.A. to pull the cable off. But, you need to be sure the length of the housing and the cable itself are exactly 3 ' longer.

Stroker

Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Mark_FLHX
1st Gear

Stroker - not a dumb question at all! ...and no I hate to say it but I didn't lay both cables out to check that the new cable within the housing is the correct length. You're right about the P I T A part with pulling it off again but luckily I still have everything apart to get to the cover easily. What you said is the only thing that makes sense to me with what is going on as I've double and triple checked eveything else...

Thanks again guys for your responses....I'll keep you posted.